The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2002, 10:02 PM   #1
tp85

NOW W/PICS! a few snags with body mount swap

Take a look at these pics of body mount rust areas. I think the position #1 mount is solid (even w/ the floor pan rust since bolt goes through a tube support). However, I need to repair the rear most mount location. You'll see in the pictures that the bed floor metal is in perfect condition...meaning the rust occurred from the bottom up. You may want to check your trucks. On the LH side I need to replace the entire box which is welded to the underside of the bed.

Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated!
Tom

body mount rust areas

Getting to know my 72 blazer…

I started the job to replace all of my truck’s body mounts. I ran into a few snags that I was hoping for some input. My factory body mounts were complete deteriorated, and, in some cases missing.

1. Most of the factory cushion washers/shims were rusted and fused to the body or frame. So what is the best way to deal with the rusted areas after I scrape off the loose stuff? I was going to paint the frame and body mounting surface areas with POR-15. Does this sound like a good idea? It just doesn’t seem wise to install the new mounts onto the rusted surfaces.

2. My floor pans had been replaced long ago, and the PO just had them installed over the position #1 bolt heads. I used a hole saw and cut through the new floor pan to find the factory hex bolt tack welded to the original floor pan (factory standard). No big deal to cut the weld and remove the bolt, but I am concerned about the condition of the body metal around the bolt that is supposed to carry the load of the body at this point. The recessed hole was filled with rust bits, and the metal was torn up quite a bit. I really can’t see what is around and beneath the recessed hole. Does anyone know how this is supposed to look…from a side profile? I recall an old thread that seemed to suggest that some housing under the recess carried the load. What should I look for to determine if it is structurally sound?

3. My worst problem is the rear most mount, position #5. FYI, I have a very small amount of rust at the rear corners of the bed, but nothing extreme. There are two fairly serious problems at this body mount location. First, the frame is rather thin at the mounting point. It looks like the body mount cushion retained water, etc. around the frame…causing heavy rusting. In fact, the ~1” diameter hole on the frame that is supposed to hold a raised ring of the cushion has rusted into a much larger hole. So I need to weld something to this area to strengthen the frame, and provide a proper sized hole to secure the cushion. Has anyone done this, or have any ideas on the frame repair? The second problem with this rear-most body mount position is on the body side of the mount. The bed is solid (as well as the funky washers), but the ~3’ body extension piece (down to the cushion) is heavily rusted where it contacted the metal washer of the cushion. I need to repair the lower portion of this body extension. I will probably just weld a square washer to the base of the extension, but I am looking for other ideas.

Tom 72 blazer 4X4 250 ochre

Last edited by tp85; 06-13-2002 at 07:50 AM.
tp85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 11:10 AM   #2
Southpa

Can you post pics of the main structural areas where you figure the biggest problems are? Of course, you will be replacing ALL the hardware and I understand that you need something solid to bolt onto. But a pic is worth 1000 words, as the saying goes. I replaced the cab mounts on my 70 GMC 1/2 ton a few years back and am assuming the mounting setup is similar. But I am interested in seeing how a Blazer is setup.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 01:24 PM   #3
tp85

ok, i'll try to get some pics tonight.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:55 AM   #4
tp85

Take a look at these pics of body mount rust areas. I think the position #1 mount is solid (even w/ the floor pan rust since bolt goes through a tube support). However, I need to repair the rear most mount location. You'll see in the pictures that the bed floor metal is in perfect condition...meaning the rust occurred from the bottom up. You may want to check your trucks. On the LH side I need to replace the entire box which is welded to the underside of the bed.

Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated!
Tom

body mount rust areas