The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2023, 07:10 PM   #1
davischevy

NP 205 Question

I am working on a 1970 K10. The speedometer fitting on the transfer case points to 10 o'clock. The 71 and 72's I have looked at have the speedometer parallel with the ground. Is the rear shaft bearing housing fixed in the 10 o'clock position or can it be clocked to the horizontal position?

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 10:04 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: NP 205 Question

Cannot be clocked without a different tail piece
kwmech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 10:08 AM   #3
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Cannot be clocked without a different tail piece
Does that mean I can use a 71/72 tail piece?

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 07-10-2023, 10:39 AM   #4
jeffahart

I'm inclined to think it will fit, but that's not why I posted. Is it in the truck or on the bench. Be careful taking off the housing, needle bearings could drop off into the case it's a 50/50 gamble. I pulled mine off recently while in the truck, I inched it out and got a rag under the bearing. You probably already know this, but just in case.

j
Old 07-10-2023, 11:11 AM   #5
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
I'm inclined to think it will fit, but that's not why I posted. Is it in the truck or on the bench. Be careful taking off the housing, needle bearings could drop off into the case it's a 50/50 gamble. I pulled mine off recently while in the truck, I inched it out and got a rag under the bearing. You probably already know this, but just in case.

j
Thanks for reminding me about the needle bearings.

Old 07-10-2023, 11:40 AM   #6
jeffahart

If you pull it, just make sure to keep the output shaft held in place as you inch the cover off. The housing cover comes out enough for the outer needle bearings to drop into your lap. If you pull the shaft with the housing, it's those pesky inside bearings on the other end of the shaft. Pulling the housing is the only way you will know for sure.

Also, if you need more room up there you could possibly try an in-line ratio adapter. My adapter actually sits inside my frame channel.

good luck!

j
Old 07-11-2023, 03:04 PM   #7
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
If you pull it, just make sure to keep the output shaft held in place as you inch the cover off. The housing cover comes out enough for the outer needle bearings to drop into your lap. If you pull the shaft with the housing, it's those pesky inside bearings on the other end of the shaft. Pulling the housing is the only way you will know for sure.

Also, if you need more room up there you could possibly try an in-line ratio adapter. My adapter actually sits inside my frame channel.

good luck!

j
The speedometer adapter is not causing me problems. I'm installing a Gear Vendors Overdrive and with the 69/70 tail housing the GV installs at a 1 O'Clock position. GV said it was ok but I don't like the looks of the sump being on that angle. My 71 has the GV sump sitting level with the ground.

Old 07-11-2023, 04:36 PM   #8
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
The speedometer adapter is not causing me problems. I'm installing a Gear Vendors Overdrive and with the 69/70 tail housing the GV installs at a 1 O'Clock position. GV said it was ok but I don't like the looks of the sump being on that angle. My 71 has the GV sump sitting level with the ground.
I just went through this with GV. They told me it was not ok. They also said they sell for this transfer all the time and they never had that problem. After jumping through hoops and satisfying that it was not me installing wrong. The owner was kind enough to call me and they sent me an adapter that was re-clocked(re-drilled). After install it was still a couple degrees out of clock but was good enough. Maybe they will send you the adapter they re-clocked and sent me. The owner Rick is one heck of a nice guy but, I sent the whole unit back. It introduced a driveline vibration. I’d never had my angle so dialed in. I was in no mood to listen to anything that tech support had to say at that point. GV out… and she runs like glass again. I was looking forward to the GV, but it didn’t work out for me and I lost interest in dickering with it. Would have been a nice to have, but not a need to have. Not at the cost of driveline vibrations.

j