The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2023, 11:36 AM   #1
cerial

Fuel Gauge wiring location with factory single tank

Bought a 85 GMC 2500 4x4. 5.7, sm465, 208, SF14, 10 3.42 ratio standard cab 8'bed Yesterday. The truck was used as a airport truck then it was sold to a family who had it for 20+ years.

It runs drives and stops great. It has rust of course. But I really just want it for a deep snow winter ride. It has a few issues besides the rust that I will be addressing. One of those is that the fuel gauge does not currently work.

Now I will no doubt eventually do a 5.3 swap and run a back seat out of a 2017ish truck. But this thing runs and drives currently. This year I really just want to fix the floors so its not throwing snow inside and refresh things so it's not going to leave me stranded during a blizzard.

The sending unit on the drivers side is right between the cab and the bed and I can get my hand on the green and orange wires to see that they have been cut. I should be able to connect these to new wiring without dropping the tank.

Green is the ground and the orange is the sending unit from the looks of it. But looking around I can't seem to find what I am assuming is going to be green and orange or orange and white wires going to the gauge. Looks like they ran a new taillight wiring when a newer bed was installed and the harness from the cab back was removed.

Now I have a 91 cab and chassis R30 square and a 87 1/2 ton V10 square so I simply went up to the selector switch on the dash when going to single tanks on those. But this 85 does not have a selector switch.

So where will I find the wires coming off the gauge preferably without cutting into the plug behind the cluster. (worst case I do this)

Should I start behind the dash near the center of the dash? Would the gauge wiring be there?

I am guessing it would run from the dash down the passenger frame by where the old selector would be. Or with a single cab single tank it could be ran down the center of the cab. Even skipping the dash all together and running next to the speedo cable.

Before I spend hours searching and testing wires I thought one of you guys might know where to look maybe even if the colors change behind the dash etc.

Thanks for reading and any help in advance.
1985 K20 Winter beater
1991 R30(squarebody) c/c flatbed towrig
1994 s10 80"wb custom build
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 12:55 PM   #2
MikeB

Re: Fuel Gauge wiring location with factory single tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerial View Post
But looking around I can't seem to find what I am assuming is going to be green and orange or orange and white wires going to the gauge.
According to the chart below, the fuel tank sender wire running to the instrument panel printed circuit connector is TAN. It is connected to terminal #18.

The document that I copied the chart from also shows both terminals #7 and #18 are used for trucks with factory gauges, but I have no idea why.

If the image is too small to read, try opening it here.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...ch=29746;image
Attached Images

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 06:07 PM   #3
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
According to the chart below, the fuel tank sender wire running to the instrument panel printed circuit connector is TAN. It is connected to terminal #18.
The TAN color listed on that chart is correct for the earlier years. However, they changed over to a PINK wire for the fuel gauge sending unit sometime around 1978.

Quote:
The document that I copied the chart from also shows both terminals #7 and #18 are used for trucks with factory gauges, but I have no idea why.
That was done to accommodate the factory tachometer clusters. The small fuel gauge in the lower/left corner of the tach clusters used pin #7. While all other clusters with the large fuel gauge off to the right of the speedometer used pin #18.

From the back of the cluster, the fuel gauge sending unit wire should run down to the firewall bulkhead connector that is located behind the fuse box. The under-hood side of that connector is divided into 3 sections (engine harness, front light harness, and rear light harness). The fuel gauge sending unit wire comes through as part of the engine harness. From there, it should simply run down to the frame and back to the tank.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 06:47 PM   #4
cerial

Trucks dripping dry in the garage right now. I gave it a bath to wash off years of "sitting" grime as well as chase off spiders etc.

I am just going to pull the cluster then will splice off of 18(No factory tach). Run a new wire back and avoid any chance of a T or other cut connection.

Thanks for the great help.
1985 K20 Winter beater
1991 R30(squarebody) c/c flatbed towrig
1994 s10 80"wb custom build
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 10:58 AM   #5
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
The TAN color listed on that chart is correct for the earlier years. However, they changed over to a PINK wire for the fuel gauge sending unit sometime around 1978.
Just found my 1982's OE connector with all the original wires attached. You're right, a PINK wire connects to pin #18. And a dark brown wire is connected to #7. The connector was wired for an instrument panel with warning lights.

Someone put a lot of time into those charts, but got it wrong. They also left out several pins and wires.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 11:15 AM   #6
hatzie

Quote:

If the image is too small to read, try opening it here.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...ch=29746;image
18 is the big fuel gauge, 7 is the small gauge with the tach IIRC
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote