The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2023, 12:56 PM   #1
mccollum007

Van tilt intermediate shaft

So I recently picked up a used van tilt off eBay as my original 70 column was a non tilt floor shift model. The column did not come with the intermediate shaft though. My question is is it possible to adapt my original shaft to the van tilt or do I need to find one from a van or is there some other option that would be better than either of those options? I've upgraded my gear box to a 73+ quick ratio box if this makes a difference as well. Any help on all this would be much appreciated!
mccollum007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 01:32 PM   #2
Orange71shorty

Re: Van tilt intermediate shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccollum007 View Post
So I recently picked up a used van tilt off eBay as my original 70 column was a non tilt floor shift model. The column did not come with the intermediate shaft though. My question is is it possible to adapt my original shaft to the van tilt or do I need to find one from a van or is there some other option that would be better than either of those options? I've upgraded my gear box to a 73+ quick ratio box if this makes a difference as well. Any help on all this would be much appreciated!
You can easily modify your existing one. Drill out the nylon that is injected in the hole of the shaft. I used a small bolt in the hole of mine once it痴 shortened
Orange71shorty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 01:36 PM   #3
pjmoreland

You will need to collapse your intermediate shaft. Information can be found here:

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=133937
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 01:51 PM   #4
mccollum007

I appreciate the quick responses! Glad to know I don't have to fork over more for a new shaft. I wasn't sure if I'd run into any issues mating all three components with spline count, etc. Column seems to be tight so it may be as simple as replacing levers, turn signal switch and repainting.
mccollum007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 07:36 PM   #5
custom10nut

So, let me get this straight, to make sure I知 reading this right.
The Van tilt column collapsible portion is (about) 2 1/2 inches longer than a standard non-tilt Truck column. Am I correct in saying that?
This being said, one could cut 2 3/4 inches off the end (male portion) of a Van Tilt, to be able to fit into a Truck. Correct me if I知 wrong.
Of course I know that the other minor mods need to be done for the wiring and lights.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 09:53 PM   #6
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
So, let me get this straight, to make sure I知 reading this right.
The Van tilt column collapsible portion is (about) 2 1/2 inches longer than a standard non-tilt Truck column. Am I correct in saying that?
This being said, one could cut 2 3/4 inches off the end (male portion) of a Van Tilt, to be able to fit into a Truck. Correct me if I知 wrong.
Of course I know that the other minor mods need to be done for the wiring and lights.
If you cut the shaft it would need to be re-splined.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 10:42 AM   #7
custom10nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
If you cut the shaft it would need to be re-splined.
I guess I知 using the wrong word.
I知 referring to the portions that slide into each other, not the Splined end that the Rag Joint goes on.

There痴 the lower section, which is a round rod, with two machined flat sides, and it slides into the upper section, which is the Tube with the two flat sides to match the lower sections shape.
So to modify the Van tilt, am I correct in saying that the lower portion rod needs to be shorted 2 3/4 inches, opposite the splined end?
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 11:13 AM   #8
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
I guess I知 using the wrong word.
I知 referring to the portions that slide into each other, not the Splined end that the Rag Joint goes on.

There痴 the lower section, which is a round rod, with two machined flat sides, and it slides into the upper section, which is the Tube with the two flat sides to match the lower sections shape.
So to modify the Van tilt, am I correct in saying that the lower portion rod needs to be shorted 2 3/4 inches, opposite the splined end?
I believe vans don't use an intermediate shaft. The rag joint attaches directly to the bottom end of the upper shaft. The intermediate shaft being discussed in this thread that needs to be collapsed is a stock truck intermediate shaft.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote