The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: If you had the option, which of these grills would you use?
Original 66 painted grill 1 20.00%
64-66 C60 painted grill 2 40.00%
an original aluminum grill that needs to be restored 2 40.00%
the repo aluminum grill that is now available 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2023, 09:28 PM   #1001
pdxhall

Re: pdx-sanity66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
Nice!!

The green is a little lighter than mine, just as you said some time back. I like it!
Thanks Arne. It will be finished very soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleman View Post
Looking Good
Are you going to be back together in time for Gino's GitDown?
I'll still have the bed to finish an install plus some other stuff so I won't be going this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunschweiger View Post
Oh that's very pretty, I like the color.
Thanks. I haven't even seen it in person yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesscamaro View Post
Looks very nice and I'm sure you're pumped! Congrats on getting it to this point!
Thanks. it's been a long time coming,
Quote:
Originally Posted by collins10672 View Post
truck looks nice.i like the color.you did a fine job on the metal work too.
Thanks, it's been a ton of work and time. I just have to finish the bed and install it and I need to decide on AC real soon.
Here are a few more pics of progress. The right fender needs a repaint and the front bumper and grill are still at powder coat. Just a few more days.
Attached Images

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 09:34 AM   #1002
rbruno68

Looks great!
rbruno68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 11:48 AM   #1003
pdxhall

Just a little update. The front grill and bumper are back from powder coating, and the fender repainted.
I'm hoping to pick Sanity up on Friday.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
Old 08-22-2023, 07:01 PM   #1004
clemdaddy

Very nice... love the colors.
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 12:16 PM   #1005
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
Very nice... love the colors.
Thanks Clem, I love the color. It turned out just as I had envisioned. I'm looking forward to getting the bed finished up. The temperature down here has limited my time getting the urethane laid down. I've got 2 coats on so far.
My Sanity has come home. Now it's time to finish up a few loose ends to finish it up. The front grill insert "CHEVROLET" needs to have the background painted black.
pics of Sanity back home.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2023, 10:42 AM   #1006
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

I'm sure I've missed quite a bit so I'm planning on reading back but man sanity is looking good!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 03:45 PM   #1007
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
I'm sure I've missed quite a bit so I'm planning on reading back but man sanity is looking good!
Thanks TJ. It's good to see you back,
We took a week off and went to Vegas. 5 days of Blues music and fun at the Westgate Big Blues Bender. This was our 3rd time and we're planning on next year, hopefully. Now it's time to get back to work..
I'm still working on the bed wood. 3 coats so far. I'm also working on the grill letters. They were powder coated with the grill and bumper but on the letters. they just blend in with the background. So I am painting the background black. I am also prepping the inside of the doors and the door panels for paint.

Old 10-22-2023, 11:41 AM   #1008
pdxhall

It's been a while since I've posted but I've been getting done.
I've got the door window fuzzies in and the windows roll up and down very nicely.
I've got new door handles with matching locks installed.
I found some reverse lights I like and they are installed but I need a switch for them.
I serviced the transmission. drained, remove the pan and installed a new gasket, removed the temporary filter that was installed to catch any debris that might have been in the lines, cooler, etc. It was in the output line of the cooler. I also installed the temp sender for mt trans temp gauge. More on that later.
I took the grill letters off and painted the background black and reinstalled it.
And I've got 5 coats of satin urethane on the bed and it is ready for the final coat. We're getting some cooler weather coming this week so I should be able to get it done.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2023, 10:04 PM   #1009
cwcarpenter98

The black paint behind the letters really makes them stand out much better. Well done!

I also like your reverse light idea. Are they pointed straight out on both, or do you have each angled towards the side of the truck a little?

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 04:11 AM   #1010
Braunschweiger

What a nice truck, the grill thing is very well done.

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 01:09 PM   #1011
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
The black paint behind the letters really makes them stand out much better. Well done!

I also like your reverse light idea. Are they pointed straight out on both, or do you have each angled towards the side of the truck a little?
I've got them straight out. I don't have them wired up yet, so I may adjust them a little if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunschweiger View Post
What a nice truck, the grill thing is very well done.
I really like how the letters turned out. Thanks,
I have the grill off right now and I have put the insert back in. While the grill was out I decided I would redo the headlight wiring. I did this a long time ago and I used a kit with 30A relays and wiring for the headlights. There was extra wire and some questionable wiring that I needed to clean up. So I rewired and cleaned up the mess and it is much better now. Final assembly today and the job is done.
My bed wood is finished so I will be figuring out how I'm going to get the bed off without buggering the paint, getting it put together, and back on the truck.

Old 10-28-2023, 05:54 AM   #1012
350TacoZilla

Looking great man! I also like the reverse light idea and it wouldn't be too bad to make a little shim for them if they do need angled some. Looking at it actually seems like a kinda obvious place that is never used, I even have a bracket for a set of hitch mounted back up lights and never thought to use the plate.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 12:30 PM   #1013
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
Looking great man! I also like the reverse light idea and it wouldn't be too bad to make a little shim for them if they do need angled some. Looking at it actually seems like a kind of an obvious place that is never used, I even have a bracket for a set of hitch mounted back up lights and never thought to use the plate.
Thanks for looking in. I'm going to get the backup lights wired up. I don't have a switch connected to the shift linkage so I am wiring it into a toggle switch for now. I've also got a fuel delivery problem right now. When I was working on the wiring for the headlights, I was pulling the truck back and forth in the garage as I needed more room to work. Sanity started to run rough as I was moving it. The gas was getting low in the tank so I thought maybe I was running out of gas so I put in 5 gal. before proceeding. Sanity would not start at all. Just turned over and by the way, I am getting NO fuel at the carb. My next thought was I had run out of gas and possibly plugged the filters so I started checking things out.
First, I removed the filter at the outlet of the tank. It looked fine but I decided to bypass it while continuing checking the lines. Oh, and Next I checked the filter by the inlet to the carb. It is fine. I did some checks on the fuel pump It was pumping but it doesn't seem to have enough pressure to get gas to the carb. So I'm guessing the pump is bad. Any thoughts on my problem are welcome.

Old 11-02-2023, 04:47 PM   #1014
350TacoZilla

Weak pump due to bad diaphragm or clog in the actual lines would be my next guess. Checking the lines is a free fix where the new pump will cost money so I would start by blowing air through lines one at a time. If you have someone that can hold a rag over the other end I would try little air from pump connection back to tank line and just see if anything comes out and then try the line from pump to carb.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 03:39 AM   #1015
Braunschweiger

Maybe you would like to take the filter out of the suction line in front of the fuel pump and test it without it.
I know that the filter should be located in the pressure line to the carburettor.

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 10:36 AM   #1016
SkinnyG

I went through three (THREE!) Carter mechanical pumps in the course of two (TWO!) years with my '77 Silverado, then went electric with an AC Delco EP12S which lasted six years, and lastly did a Carter 4070 with a regulator and then sold the truck.

Most fuel pumps can push well, but do not suck well - make them push through the filter, not suck through it.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 01:32 PM   #1017
pdxhall

Thanks for the comments. I have done all you recommended. I cleaned the lines with air and no plugging. I decided to remove the filter at the back near the tank. It did not seem to be clogged but I left it out. I also checked all of the lines and filter from pump to carb and they were also clean. I had my wife crank the engine while I checked to see if any gas was getting through the pump. It was pumping gas but very little pressure. It doesn't seem to have enough to get to the carb. It is still dry. So I was pretty sure it was the pump, so I removed it and took it apart. The gasket/seals were not torn but looked stretched out and dry. have bought a new Edelbrock pump and I will be putting it on today. Man, I hope this is it. This is show and cruise time down here in Tucson that I'd like to start taking part in.

Old 11-07-2023, 02:02 PM   #1018
pdxhall

I got the new pump installed. I pumped the gas 5 or 6 times while cranking and Sanity fired right up. In fact, after it sputtered a few times it smoothed out and is running great. I took Sanity for a test ride and I think it's running the best it has run. I think the pump had been weak for quite a while before it finally failed. Anyway, I'm back on the road and getting some miles on the truck. I've got the inside of the doors to prep and paint, the new bed wood is finished and ready to install, and a couple of other small things to finish, but I'm driving. It feels really good.

Old 11-09-2023, 12:22 PM   #1019
pdxhall

I've got all of the lights working.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2023, 12:53 AM   #1020
cwcarpenter98

Well, that's convinced me. I need to get a set of roof lights too. Looks great all lit up!

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 02:05 PM   #1021
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Well, that's convinced me. I need to get a set of roof lights too. Looks great all lit up!
I've always liked the roof lights but most trucks have 5. I don't like the way they are mounted with 5. I was also looking for painted rather than chrome.I finally found these and restored them. I also showed Sanity for the first time at the "Truly Nolen" show here in Tucson. There were about 150 cars and trucks at the show. I didn't win anything, but I got a lot of great comments on Sanity and I got to see some really nice cars and trucks but just a few 60-66 trucks. I had a great time.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2023, 06:20 PM   #1022
pdxhall

I've decided to do the bed wood install on Sanity.
I've had the wood done for some time but I have been having fun driving the truck. The weather is starting to get cool, so I decided to go ahead and get it done. I set up my overhead lift, removed the rear bumper because it sits so close to the bed (it just made things easier), unhooked the wiring, and got started. I was not sure if I would need help but once I got started, it lifted off reasonably easy. I pulled Sanity out from under the lifted bed, and then set the bed on sawhorses. I'm the Thanksgiving cook around here so things have come to a halt.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2023, 10:06 PM   #1023
bigmoe

When I did mine I stood it up on the front panel( on some blankets). I used a couple of ratchet straps in an x to hold it square.

Edit: found the picture
Attached Images

Last edited by bigmoe; 11-23-2023 at 09:27 PM.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 01:37 PM   #1024
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoe View Post
When I did mine I stood it up on the front panel( on some blankets). I used a couple of ratchet straps in an x to hold it square.

Edit: found the picture
I have seen it done this way before on the forum but I was just afraid of messing up the front edge of the bed. I have been doing this by myself and I think this is a pretty good way for me to reach everything and I can make any adjustments as needed. I had everything pre-fitted before I tore it down and finished the wood. I'm hoping it hasn't moved much or at all. Right now I am just about ready for assembly. I have one cross sill that I need to work on first.

Old 12-13-2023, 04:41 PM   #1025
Pick121

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
Hi everyone. I've been a member here now for 1 year this month so I thought it was time for me to start a build thread. I've posted some pics on various threads and threw out a few comments and opinions but I want to get things more organized as to what I'm doing and where I'm going with my 66 long bed fleetside. I am going to give a little retrospective and bring things up to date as to what I've accomplished so far.
I got the truck about 12 years ago from the son of the original owner. He had died and the son didn't have a desire to keep the truck. I was leaving my girlfriends house (now my wife) one day and it was parked on the curb in front of a house just down the street with a for sale sign and a price of $675. I have always loved this body style truck and I couldn't resist. I paid the guys price and drove it to her house. The first pics here are the day I drove it there. It was a completely original, unmolested truck with a 135000 miles. Everything was intact on the truck including the owners manual in the glove box. No extra holes anywhere and very little rust except some in the normal places. The bed wood was totally rotted out, though, with a piece of plywood in it's place. the drivers side of the seat was shot, with a couple of springs broke and some padding stuffed in to make it usable. The rest of the seat was like new and the build sheet was still in place on the underside. Built in Fremont, Cal. and sold at a dealer here in Oregon.
I drove the truck a little for a few yrs but the clutch went south and I parked it. I didn't really have the time or a place to work on it at the time.
Wow what a journey! I spent 5 evenings poring over this build, which started in year 2000 (even though the first post was 2012). thanks for sharing your sanity with us and sorry I wasn’t there to encourage you along the way but here I am now haha! It would be great to seethe “after” photos the same angle as your photos from first post, that would be quite a contrast! Beautiful job my man
Pick121 is offline   Reply With Quote