The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2024, 11:52 AM   #2
Willowrun

Re: 79 Burbn Project

Looks like a great start.

I have a few trucks with the SM465 and while they give you a true old truck feel when driving, I get tired driving them after a couple of days because the creeper gear is too low for take off and 2nd gear is always a little too high. You can get the hang of it after a while but still not my favorite driving manual transmission for sure.

Just my opinion, if the transmission is already sloppy I wouldn't put money into it but would instead swap to an automatic with its mating transfer case, radiator, and driveshafts out of a donor truck. If you really want to stick with the SM465 then I'd look for a used one in working condition rather than putting money into rebuilding the one you have. They're pretty bomb proof so you should be able to find a good one laying around in someone's parts pile.

Your suburban should have 4.10 or 4.56 at the lowest axle ratios.
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote