The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2002, 12:32 AM   #1
72 custom C-20

Ram horn manifolds

Was replacing the plugs and wires the other day. Well, I knew I had a leak up there, but I thought it was the gaskets. WRONG. Pulled the heat shields off for sh#ts and giggles and let out a few choice words. That was before I realised what these things were. GRrr. It gets worse. Both sides! GRrrrrrr!! Two bolts are snaped off or missing. GGGRRRRRrrrrrr!!! Inspection is due. Need I say it. GGGGGRRRRRRrrrrr!!!!

Ok ok ok, calm down! look on the bright side you pessimist. (Stepside) Its your chance to run a new system. Boya!

When I say cracked I mean cracked. So having them repaired is out of the question. Crack is like 2"long right at the collector centers and on the outside. Wouldn't trust a weld job and you would see it. The only thing these things are good for are paper weights.

Ok, I don't want Full headers. Dont want stock manifolds. I would like to stick with the rams horns, but I would consider shortys.

My motor is a stock 72 350 Goodwrench rebild 30 to 50 tho. mi.(was a 350 factory truck) She runs strong. HEI, Stock quadrajet (??? cfm.), stock intake and plan to keep it that way. Except for rebuild carb, dont need to touck it. Besides She's a daily driver.( page one pic post)

1) Pro's and con's Shorty vs. ram horns.
2) Price and avalibility. Who' gut a pair of rams laying around?
3) Reliability...
4) Tubuing sizes...vs.
5) Cool but quiet flowmastres.
6) Crossover yea or na.

So basicly I'm asking you guys to desighn my new exhaust system! Keep it under budget and ontime.

Jim,should you decide to except this mission, the secratary will ....

thanks guys
David
Southampton, Pa.
72 custom C-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 12:49 AM   #2
bigvinnie

ramhorns can be obtained from people here on the board and they're affordable.... if you got a stock 350 that's really all you need, they're quiet and don't leak, and they produce less heat in the engine compartment.... your motor might benefit from a crossover, but since it's stock I wouldn't really bother...

headers are great for hi performance motors that need to breathe better than stock, but depending on the brand and gaskets, are known to be leak prone..... plus they produce more heat which is hard on starters among other things, and they produce more noise than rams...

I would say in your situation you'd be best to replace the rams and maybe upgrade the mufflers and you'd be in great shape...

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 02:25 AM   #3
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

you might do some checking around, i bought a new straight dump ramhorn for my 72 a couple years ago for $30 from a local junkyard which also sells new aftermarket parts....some company from canada cast mine.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 08:15 AM   #4
MOTHERTRUCKERS

We have a ton of driver side turnbacks and tons of straightdown ramhorns 25.00 each + shipping or new dynamax cnc flange headers for 129.00 ceramic coated 239.00 including shipping.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:51 AM   #5
72 custom C-20

thanks guys,
Yea, gona replace the ram horns. Whats the story with these, what were they origanly on? Corvets only, or a factory upgrade? Is there a differance between years that I should be aware of?Differant diamiters? gona be shoping this weekned and next at some swap meets, don't wanta get burned. If I don't see anything I'll call Mothers.

Flowmasters, 30's or 40's dont know the differance. Havn't done my research. Don't want to be talked into something I dont want.
If I'm running 2 1/2 tubes would there be any benafit to jump up to 3" at the mufler?

thanks again
David
Southampton, Pa.
72 custom C-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 12:14 PM   #6
RodC

They were stock several years, some had holes in them for smog pumps (You can cap them) I think our trucks came with 2" diameter and the vetts came with 2.5". If you want the 2.5s you will probably have to buy them new and cut off the bracket. (there arent as many of them arround) The 2" seem eaisy to get.

Just do a search for ram horns on this msg board.
Old 06-15-2002, 03:02 PM   #7
Mike C

I would stick with the manifolds but go with the 'vette 2 1/2". I'm pretty sure some guys are running them ok on 2 wheel drive trucks even though they don't have the turn back. GM performance parts for about $85 each. As far as headers go, all or nothing in my opinion. You have some problems with shorty's as full length, you just don't get the full benefit.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote