The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2002, 10:55 AM   #1
RodC

Disc Brake Noise (Click Click Click)

I have a click click ... noise coming from my left front rotor. The rotor does not seem off round, no shimmy when I stop. Should I start by replacing the Pins/Caliper or the Rotor? Im thinking pins/caliper because I get a good loud click sometimes when I brake hard.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:17 AM   #2
Zkast
Account Suspended

If you getting a rythmic clicking related to speed, chances are your rotor has too much runout, which will not affect the pedal or pulsing, and is causing the caliper to walk back and forth. Since its making noise its possible you have a rubber insulator thats worn through or simply a loose pad. Check the anti-rattle clips on the inboard pad and double check the retaining tabs on the outboard pad.

If you just go in and replace the rubber insulators (where the caliper bolt slides through) and you still have too much runout, it will just wear them out again. I'd have to check my Alldata but I believe .008 to .010 is "allowable"

Just a few idea's....
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 11:40 AM   #3
RodC

That is sorta what I was looking for, however there is nothing rubber or plastic in there. I guess in '71 everything was metal. There is a retaining clip for the inner pad to hold it into the piston. The outter pad just seems to lay in there but it is a good tight fit.

Last edited by RodC; 06-15-2002 at 12:08 PM.
RodC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 02:19 PM   #4
RodC

I may try the rubber insulator first, I just checked out the Chassis manual and it shows 4 on each rotor (2 under the bushing) Mine does not have any, I guess the last owner did not think it needed them
Old 06-15-2002, 02:25 PM   #5
Zkast
Account Suspended

lol yep that would explain it.. there are a total of 4 yes. When you pull the caliper pin AND sleeve out there will be one under the sleeve and one out towards the end of the pin. 2 per pin...
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 02:59 PM   #6
Mike C

Before you try that other stuff, make sure the wheel is tight. A loose wheel wil click like that as it turns.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 03:29 PM   #7
RodC

Its tight, just had them off to put some brake quiet on. Once I got the squeek out I noticed the click click more! It clicks when going streight too.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:35 AM   #8
LILREDGMC

Discs

You may want to check and see that the outboard pads are seated. When installing new pads, it is usually recommended to have an assistant hold the brakes on, while you take a punch to the tabs on the outboard pad, and bend them over the caliper a bit. It gives them a tighter fit. The trick is the assistant. You can also use a 3/8 extension. Don't do a major hammer, but bring the tabs down on the caliper. I always wire wheel the pins, coat the threads with never seize, and use a silicon grease on the rubber bushings and o rings. Hope this helps.
LILREDGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 11:55 AM   #9
RodC

I replaced all the rubber and the bushings, and squeezed the tabs down on the outer pads (I used a large pair of channel locks, but I see how a punch and an assistant would help.) I also bent the tabs in to keep the pad from slidding back and forth. Did all this and lubed with caliper grease and it sounds like new now. Amazin how things work when you use all the parts