The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2002, 12:17 PM   #1
one legged lance

Product Review-Headlight Conversion

Ok I am not a magzine writer or anything nor am I getting any money for this but I saw a thread on the same headlight conversion I just did and thought others might like a full review.

A couple of weeks ago I went over to NSANE68's place to get a set of the new style headlights with super bright blueish bulbs. He has a new site www.phatcustoms.com and since he is in the area I figured it was easier to check them out in person first.
Casey is a cool guy with some nice rides and let me gab on at length no trouble.

The lights were $95 and the bulbs $25. I am not sure if this is the best price out there but it was reasonable to me. I didn't get the tribar style since I really only wanted the quality upgrade not the looks.
I came home that night hoping for a quick install...but alas as with most things for our trucks this was not to be. I have a 72 C-10 and I had to use tinsnips to open up the headlight bucket to fit the new lights....well really I had to take out about 1/2 the metal I am not sure if this is the case with all the years or if maybe I had a set of oversized lights. The 3 knobs on the light fit fine in the recesses but the light stuck out too much to fit without making a larger opening.

The lights Casey sells have a small blue "crusin" light to use in parking lots, I haven't wired this up yet as I used the lights for a Phx-Tex roadtrip and wanted the better light more than anything.
I will post picks after I get the extra wiring done.

As to the quality of the lights!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW I can't say enough about how nice it is to lose the yellow low intensity old lights for these new baseball stadium ones! Around town I could see the yards on each side of the street in resid. areas and on the open hi-way I could see farther without any glare than I would have thought.
One the way back I even did some back mountain roads coming from Holbrook to Phx and for the first time I saw the elk on the side of the road with enough warning that I could've stopped in time to miss them.
The light has a white/blue look that seems to not be very bright when viewed standing outside the truck, but from the inside you can see much farther and clearer than ever.
I would tell everyone with our year trucks to make this the very next thing they do just from an inproved safety standpoint....even if it didn't make our trucks look way cool.
Well just my 2 cents worth (reads more like 20 dollars worth I know).
1 Leg Lance
one legged lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 01:40 PM   #2
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

sounds cool! Low69CST said he had to trim his headlight buckets to
68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 02:24 PM   #3
Johns70

hella lights make a upgrade light for the older rigs they look simular to the original but they take the newer style bulbs that twist in to the back, a hb2 bulb. they laim 50% more light on low beam and 25% on high beam, and they are sae, dot approved. they're only 40 apiece in the summit catalog. best thing about it you don't have to cut anything they're a true bolt on.