The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #101
abadsvt

Re: Project "Dream Truck"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Wondering how low you're going to be able to get it bc my torque tube comes up into the cab much higher.
My dump height is should be right about 3.5" off the ground to the rockers. I wish it was slightly lower than 3" but unfortunaly the mounts for the shockwaves are so far out towards the spindles that i am not getting as much lift as i wish i got. My ride height should be right about 6 3/4 to the bottom of the rockers. What is your ride height and your dump height?
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #102
abadsvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Looks great! It must feel really good to be this far along. If you get a chance how about a pic of the rear tire to frame clearance for me. Also I just noticed that you went back to teh factory design for the front upper arm attachment. GOOD I liked the looks of the new design but having all that force when you really push this thing all on a single shear attachment like that made me nervice. I think you will be very happy with the end results. Also nice cab lift

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Hey Kevin! That cab lift and the holder thing is the best things i have bought. I use the crap out of the cab lift and since i do all my work by myself it has saved me alot of time and possible injuries. Great job on that! The new front design for the upper control arm mounts ended up looking okay. I got rid of a few pieces that i had original piece and tried to make it look simpler and cleaner. I am not as far as i would like but i am hoping by the end of Feb. I can have the frame completed because i still have to finish the rear suspension (after i get that done i will get you those pics) and then tackel the rack and pinion mount and the rear tie rods. I think those might take a little while because i will be tring to almost eliminate any bumpsteer and i think that might be a trial and error type thing plus build my stainless gas tank. We will see.....

Josh
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
Old 02-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #103
Rokcrln

Glad you like the one man tool's (shop toy's) and no sweet on the pics I am along time away from anything on my own trucks due a building list of customer builds. So how far away from Petaluma are you? I grew up in Penngrove and did my first custom build out in Oxcidental on an old willy's.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #104
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadsvt View Post
My dump height is should be right about 3.5" off the ground to the rockers. I wish it was slightly lower than 3" but unfortunaly the mounts for the shockwaves are so far out towards the spindles that i am not getting as much lift as i wish i got. My ride height should be right about 6 3/4 to the bottom of the rockers. What is your ride height and your dump height?
I'm out of town right now so... But I can tell you this; all the pics I've posted of it are ride height with the stock vette leafs in place. It's all body drop. I can't wait to get going on that one again. Yours is definately pushing me to get on it! Just need to move to a bigger shop first...
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #105
GKsport67

Does those wheels come in a staggerd fitment?
Really nice wheel selection!!
GKsport67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:45 AM   #106
abadsvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKsport67 View Post
Does those wheels come in a staggerd fitment?
Really nice wheel selection!!
I believe they do come staggard. They are foose nitrous wheels. They used to make these wheels with a chrome lip and grey centers but they stopped. I guess not enough people wanted them so i bought the chrome ones and had the centers powdercoated to my specific color. I am going to have the frame powdercoated (eventually) the same color as the grey in the wheels.

Josh
Old 02-02-2008, 02:04 AM   #107
abadsvt

Quote:
I'm out of town right now so... But I can tell you this; all the pics I've posted of it are ride height with the stock vette leafs in place. It's all body drop. I can't wait to get going on that one again. Yours is definately pushing me to get on it! Just need to move to a bigger shop first...
I hear you about a bigger shop. I almost died yesterday tripping over some of my tools and if i had a bigger shop when i trip over something atleast i will have room to fall.

I just looked at your 61 build thread and i must say. VERY NICE! I think what we need to do, is team up. I build the frames and suspension while you do all the sheetmetal work. Sounds good? So.........how about i drop off my cab next week?

Josh
Old 02-02-2008, 05:47 AM   #108
abadsvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Glad you like the one man tool's (shop toy's) and no sweet on the pics I am along time away from anything on my own trucks due a building list of customer builds. So how far away from Petaluma are you? I grew up in Penngrove and did my first custom build out in Oxcidental on an old willy's.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
I am about 4-4 1/2 hours away from petaluma. I just got done doing some work at the National Guard Armory in Petaluma. Cool little town. Do you know where San Luis Obispo, CA is? I live about 15miles north of San Luis.

Josh
Old 02-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #109
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadsvt View Post
I am about 4-4 1/2 hours away from petaluma. I just got done doing some work at the National Guard Armory in Petaluma. Cool little town. Do you know where San Luis Obispo, CA is? I live about 15miles north of San Luis.

Josh
Sure do I spen one Holloween their about 3yrs ago. Did I mention I stopped drinking just a little under 3yrs ago I knew I had been to your town but I was thinking it was the other way up the coast for some reason.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 02-16-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #110
Frizzle Fry

Hey CA freaks guess where I grew up...? Sonoma. My parents are still there and my Sister lives in Bodega. I still consider that area my "home."

Next time I'm in town I'll have to check out some sick projects
Old 02-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #111
Rokcrln

Quote:
Hey CA freaks guess where I grew up...? Sonoma. My parents are still there and my Sister lives in Bodega. I still consider that area my "home."

Next time I'm in town I'll have to check out some sick projects
Please do! I grew up in Penngrove, Jet skied daily on Lake Sonoma, 4 wheeled at Cow mountain, Maried in Glen Ellen and now live in Winters (base of lake Berriessa)!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 02-02-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #112
Frizzle Fry

Will do! Since Josh is part of instigating this hijack... I'll add that my Dad is a dentist in Sonoma and one of his patients owns THIS SHOP near Clear Lake. So that one's on my detour list as well.

BTW Josh, they've done a bunch of C5 stuff; check it out.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #113
abadsvt

Well i got my new rear shockwaves. I decided since i am upgrading all the supsension parts to improve the handling of the truck that I should upgrade the shockwaves also. So i went with the double adjustable shockwave vrs the single adjustable shockwave. Now i can control the rebound and compression of the shocks. I will be swapping out the front shockwaves for the double adjustable ones after i get a little more money. It goes really fast. I also made some rolling legs for my frame jig so now i can roll the frame table outside so i can take my frame off and set it on the ground. I am hoping by the end of this week i can have some pics on how it will look. The bad news is i am thinking about rebuilding the frame so it will have a lower ride height and sit lower to the ground. It should sit about 3.5-3.75" off the ground and i can't stop thinking about how much nicer it would look if it was about 1.5-1.75" off the ground but i am not going to do anything till i see it off the frame jig because it is sometimes misleading sitting on top of the jig.

Josh
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #114
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

sweet... i think AirRide needs to start giving you a discount

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:48 AM   #115
PBFAB.COM

Josh... it can be misleading sometimes when your looking at it UP on the jig/table. Good call waiting til you get it on the ground to see if it's TOO high. It'll look a lot lower when it's down on the floor.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:43 AM   #116
abadsvt

Well I finally got my frame outside. It was a little bit of a chore but i think it was well worth it. The rolling legs i made for the frame table worked out great. They rolled easy and sturdy. Before i raised the frame up i welded a bunch of frame gussets on the frame jig so when i jacked it up to put the rolling legs on nothing would twist or bend to keep the jig square. The frame came out nice although i still think i would like it to sit a little lower. Which sucks because that would mean that i would start over but I already have all the important measuarments so it would go alot faster. Tomorrow i will be putting the cab on to see exactly how it will look and then make my decision from there. Anyways let me know what you guys think.

Josh

ps. The pictures were taken when the sun was coming down so there are alot of shadows in the pics. Friday or Saturday i will take some better pics with less shadows.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #117
PipsC10

Smile Re: Project "Dream Truck"

For the time it would take to start over again, I would say it's not worth it. The frame looks perfect as it sits, awesome job.
PipsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #118
abadsvt

I just had too take a few more pics since the sun went down. The shadows really affect the pics. So here is a few more.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #119
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Very nice! Can you body drop it some to keep from having to redo the frame?

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #120
Frizzle Fry

I think it looks perfect. The rockers are gonna hang down just right. No need to lay-out when you have a performance machine like that!
Old 02-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #121
pcorriveau951

Thumbs up Re: Project "Dream Truck"

WOW, i must say, you have done an awesome job, i would think twice about redoing that frame again, that is a masterpiece there, i cant wait to see it with the cab on. Great Work, my personal opinion, keep it off the gound looks a lot better, that is a killer stance.
pcorriveau951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #122
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Maybe you could sell that frame to Shifty.

Hey it was a joke
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:39 AM   #123
abadsvt

Well i couldn't wait till tonight to put the cab on so i did it this morning. I was supposed to be at work but since i write the checks I figured it would be okay. I like it. I really have a drive for doing things different and this frame is exactly what i was hoping for (in the design). I still wish it sat about 1.5" lower like my other frame did but we will see. My rockers sit 3.75" off the concrete on this frame. I am going to let it sit for the weekend to get a good feel on the end result before i do anything. Anyways here are some pics.

Josh

One more thing. I just ordered the in-tank fuel pump so maybe next week i can start building the stainless gas tank.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2008, 06:51 AM   #124
grady5

i think it looks great. but the way they keep getting better i can only imagine how hot the next one would be. you do really good work and i am eager to see the end result.
grady5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:51 AM   #125
kyull67

That looks perfect to me! It would ALMOST be a crime to start over. We want to see this truck finished! I say you finish this one and then build another one!
kyull67 is offline   Reply With Quote