The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #51
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Re: How much to cut cups?

I think there is a lack of info because most guys that are serious about getting low ditch the cups / factory control arms in favor of tubular control arms.

At any rate, this is what I would do: Install everything and measure. If the control arms don't hit the ground measure from the ground to the control arms... and I would start by chopping half that distance off the cups. Personally, I would not lay the control arms directly on the ground. The part of them that hits first is very "tender" and is easily mangled by the pavement. I don't know how many times I've accidentaly scraped the pavement (with my control arms) trying to get that "fairground cruising stance" just to figure out exactly where I was at. I have now set my truck up so the control arms are about 1/4" off the ground when layed out, so even if I get a stuck valve or get switch happy, I'm not throwing gravel onto my chassis, and tearing up my expensive control arms.

4Runner Build

Last edited by smashingchuck; 08-13-2009 at 08:32 PM.
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #52
kev2809
low n' slo

those art cups do come a lot shorter, at least it looks shorter. I wonder why the cups do come in the size they come on though, espicially if those art cups or shorter than suicidedoors cups. are some company's cups meant to be cut down. makes ya wonder after lookin at those art cups
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #53
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Focus dude. Too many projects usually end in lots of unfinished business. Don't let things distract you.....ooh, shiney object...uh what were we talking about?

Maybe some of the experts that do tons of installs will chime in here. If you look back in this thread, I asked the question of "Why cut your cups?". Not to be sarcastic, I just don't see the advantage.

The response was to allow you to go lower, which I disagree with in theory. On my old 82 Blazer with stock ART cups which I think are 1.5" and a 28" tall tire I could lay the A-arms on the ground. You can not get any lower with out crossmember mods or replacement. The ground is the ground, period.

Ok, so maybe cutting the cups allows more air pressure at lower heights so you can cruise lower. I still don't see that as a good choice as it will demand higher bag pressure at a "reasonable" ride height.

I must be missing something, cause it sure is popular.
You had 1.5" cups. The SD cups have to be cut down to 1.5". I have 29" tires with 1.5" cups (soon to be tube arms...) and my arms do not touch the ground. So if I had not cut my cups I would be several inches higher in both ride height and full drop.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote