The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #1
bchamb3

3100 Tow Rig

Hello all,

I am completely new to the whole classic chevy truck scene, but my God! These are awesome looking trucks! I am looking to purchase a 47-55 advance design body style and was wondering if it could be used to tow? My idea is to purchase the truck and use it to haul a 22-26 foot airstream trailer around town for my business. (I know that highway pulls will probably be out of the question due to wheelbase of the truck) The problem is that I don't know much about towing requirements, especially for these trucks. Is this possible given the right setup, i.e motor, hitch, tranny, etc.? What if I want to put airbags on the truck?

Thank you all for your help and keep on restoring these beautiful trucks!
bchamb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: 3100 Tow Rig

if it were me I would probably think about upgrading the suspension and steering so it is easier to drive and back up with a trailer, unless you have huge forearms and love strongarm steering. a brake upgrade would possibly be an idea as well. everybody has their own thoughts and opinions though. I am just thinking about the actual driving part and being able to turn and stop quickly like a newer vehicle so you don't end up in the back seat of some family's car with the kids and car seats.
just my opinion
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:00 AM   #3
mr48chev

I towed a loaded 16 ft U haul behind my 48 for 2500 miles and I'll have to say the tail wagged the dog every inch of that 2500 miles. Just too much weight back there.

A few years later we towed a 15 ft travel trailer all over the PNW behind it with little problem because we had a different setup on the back of the truck for the hitch and a load leveling hitch setup. That took a lot of the wag and sag out of it and I wouldn't tow one without it.

On your truck you will still need overloads of one sort or another with the stock springs.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #4
bchamb3

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input. I was looking at a 1954. It had a vortex v8 in it, front disc brakes, air bag suspension, etc. I was also thinking of getting a torsion/sway bar and a load leveling hitch as well. I worried that it would be too much weight but was told that with the proper set up it would be possible. Still not sure, though.

But, it does pose another question. What did they tow these 1950's and 60's era travel trailers with then?
bchamb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:45 AM   #5
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchamb3 View Post
Thanks guys! I appreciate the input. I was looking at a 1954. It had a vortex v8 in it, front disc brakes, air bag suspension, etc. I was also thinking of getting a torsion/sway bar and a load leveling hitch as well. I worried that it would be too much weight but was told that with the proper set up it would be possible. Still not sure, though.

But, it does pose another question. What did they tow these 1950's and 60's era travel trailers with then?
pickups and cars from the same era. Key is the tongue weight. Most of those vintage trailers are in the 4-5K weight range. Most 3100 trucks will handle up to 4-500# tongue weight ok with the right hitch set up. If the springs are shot you can get newer with higher capacity.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:14 PM   #6
starterman99

It sounds like this truck has been updated with a v8 so you need to find out what rear end and transmission it has and what suspension changes have been made. If it has a newer passenger car rear end with high gear ratio for highway cruising and fuel economy it may not be the best choice for pulling a heavy load. If the suspension is modified it may not be able to carry the added wieght safely. you need to do your homework to see if it will fit your need. you can solve all issues by throwing money at it but you need to determine what is right for your budget and need.