The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #26
zenchal26

Re: Let me see some Rat Rod engines

I think there sweet. There’s something about a safe car put together with odd ball parts and a lot of ingenuity and creativity that gets my mind going. I mean that's what this country was forged on. Not enough of this stuff going on in my opinion. Also seems that most of the car shows I have been to in the last couple years, the biggest crowds are around these rods.
zenchal26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #27
OKGMC4

My uncles rat. He has every kind of car out there but he takes this one from ohio to pigeon forge TN every year and it has won several awards in the rat class. It is not a piece of junk, he drove it one year with no failures, just rode too rough. Now he trailers it down and cruises with it. I've seen it parked next to a $150k street rod and people are taking pics of this instead. Really funny for a car he built for $1500. What most people don't seem to understand is that you can't just call every rusty piece of crap car a "rat rod". The real rat guys get real ticked about that. They do actually put some thought into this stuff.
Attached Images

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #28
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I'd have to think that my fellow truck nuts have enough pride in how they build their trucks not to hang garbage like that on their trucks.
I know what you mean. There was one of those catastrophes spewing antifreeze into the gutter at cruse nite. what a POS.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #29
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
I'd have to think that my fellow truck nuts have enough pride in how they build their trucks not to hang garbage like that on their trucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopped up View Post
please no crap rod bs!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Personally I try not to take photos of those cars and I don't post photos of them along with editing them out of photos of cars next to them that I do take a photo of when I can. I am not doing at to be a snob but I strongly feel that those cars send the wrong message to future car builders who might think that slapping a car together crudely without concerns of safety and then driving them is ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopped up View Post
i gotta agree with mr48. crap rods send the message to people that you can build an unsafe poorly executed and "ugly" car and be cool. sorry but thats not cool, and all that crap added just makes it worse.
Posted via Mobile Device
If you guys feel so strongly about hating Rat Rods, why did you feel you had to reply to this thread?
Personally, if I had seen a thread about Honda Civics with beer can exhaust, I wouldn't have looked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudoo View Post
Man, I didn't know I was opening a can of worms. All I asked for were pictures of rad rods, not opinions. I mean, come on, you read the topic of the thread. If you knew this was not your interest, why not just move on to the next thread? Why have to put down someone else's like?
Goes back to like your mother used to say-"if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"
EXACTLY
You don't like them. We get it. Now please move on to an another thread.
Thank You

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #30
_Ogre

i'd like to build something like this
but at 6'4'' i can't figure how i'd get in it

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #31
Chevette

Quote:
Man, I didn't know I was opening a can of worms. All I asked for were pictures of rad rods, not opinions. I mean, come on, you read the topic of the thread. If you knew this was not your interest, why not just move on to the next thread? Why have to put down someone else's like?
Goes back to like your mother used to say-"if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"
Don't take it personal. Some folks just feel the need to crap all over things that aren't "main steam". I myself have seen many "rat rods" that I'd love to own. Some of them look like they'd be real fun to have. Also, you don't have to walk around them with a chamois all day. I do agree that they must be built safe, as with any vehicle.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #32
solidaxel

I have a bunch of parts left over if someone is inclined !!
Attached Images

53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #33
Hubscrub
Cruzin

I love these thing i will always stop and look over them at the shows, we have several around here. There is one club that all there is and they drive all over I've seen them 100 miles from home in different states at show so they aren't pos. The new shiny painted stuff can break down just as easy as anything else, most of these guys and gals are real down to earth people that i enjoy talking to. I see people that have in there rides at shows that think there better than me because they have paid some big shop to build there ride, they didn't use the good ol noggin to engineer there rides just there wallets. I have some nice stuff but i never look down on a hot rod, rat rod or any rod for that matter pulling up beside me at shows. Matter of fact i plan to build something along these lines soon i hope. We all share the same love at the end of the day. P.S. Keep the pics coming

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #34
Rudoo

That's everyone for the pics and good info. I download pics off my daughters camera and look what she took pics of! I forgot mine at this show and didn't know she took some.
Attached Images

Rudoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #35
Russell Ashley

I'm not a rat rod fan, but I do enjoy looking at the creativity. That bicycle chain throttle linkage is cool.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #36
502ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC View Post
I totally agree that vehicles poorly constructed, no mater the style, Have no place on the road.

However, Unique vehicles that show creativity, ingenuity and are well constructed do have a place on the road and in shows.

So here is my idea of a 'RAT ART' car
The second car/truck is speaking to me...rear engined or is it two? I'm cracking up that it has a kickstand!

I agree...I like the nice shiny cars in my garage, but I got a place in my heart for a nicely done rat rod...not the craigslist guy who is selling his 1989 Chevy Sprint/Nova that needs paint and has mismatched hubcaps.
To me this and OKGMC's uncle's car represent a proper rat rod...thought goes into it, and executed properly to ensure safety. Has to look visually appealing too. I will build one eventually. I am big on safety, so don't worry.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #37
solidaxel

I only have one !
Attached Images

53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #38
1952ssr

I think the beauty of "rat rods" are the range of creativity and the many different variations of cars and trucks. You may see ones that are "super ratty" and then those that are what I call "classy ratty". I agree I've seen some that I wouldn't dare think about driving or riding in. Without a doubt they are a conversation piece, I can attest to that and I too have witnessed seeing my truck get it's picture made more than the emmaculate cars on either side of it.
1952ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #39
cajundragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevette View Post
Don't take it personal. Some folks just feel the need to crap all over things that aren't "main steam". I myself have seen many "rat rods" that I'd love to own. Some of them look like they'd be real fun to have. Also, you don't have to walk around them with a chamois all day. I do agree that they must be built safe, as with any vehicle.
"rat" rods aren't main stream?

what?!?!

thats the new wave. bolt a bunch of mismatched garbage on a car and call it done.

I'm from Louisiana like one of the previous posters and "rat rods" are most definitely considered garbage. That's the point of it right? Make it look as shotty as possible?

the only time a "radrod" is cool is when its a traditional, in which it wasn't a ratrod in the first place.

I can't wait for this "style" to go away.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #40
sgtusmc

Ratrod, hotrod, stock, resto, does it matter? Someone put time and money into it. Might not be your style. Why can't you just laugh and point from where your seated. I see no reason in responding to the post with a neg comment. It looks as if this board is turning into the "other forums" that get a kick outta bashing on the not so cool rides or ideas. Just sad...........
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=sgtusmc
U.S. Marines - Certified Counselors to the 72 Virgins Dating Club.
sgtusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #41
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtusmc View Post
Ratrod, hotrod, stock, resto, does it matter? Someone put time and money into it. Might not be your style. Why can't you just laugh and point from where your seated. I see no reason in responding to the post with a neg comment. It looks as if this board is turning into the "other forums" that get a kick outta bashing on the not so cool rides or ideas. Just sad...........
I can agree with that. I just love classic cars and trucks. I really don't care what style it is, if I think its cool thats all that matters what I think.lol At least thats all that matters to me. We all don't have to build the same things or have the same taste to have cool looking cars. I may not build things the way others would, but I totally understand they can say the same thing about my stuff.

I have a buddy I go to cars shows with and he is always trying to get my opinion about stuff he likes. I finally had to tell him man you can like that if you like it why are you worried about what I think. Enjoy the show man dang.lol

To the guy that posted that some high end car owners are snobs. Man I met many rat rodders and traditional hotrodders that are snobs also. People are snobs when they think their way is the only way to do things. If we all liked the same things it would be a carbon copy world.

Last edited by Kabwe; 05-19-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #42
mobileortho

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtusmc View Post
DITTO!!!!! If it's not your cup of tea.... don't drink it.

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

Last edited by mobileortho; 05-17-2012 at 04:15 PM.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #43
Boogie_Man

Man, maybe the haters should start a conformist thread, bump your gums in there

I for one like to make my trucks my own. I'd like to build a rat rod in the next few years but I want to get through a frame off on the truck first. I've seen some awesome rats around these parts. I saw a video somewhere of a tri-five in olive drab with a military theme, kinda rat/custom. It had ammo cans on the stepsides and I think an LS swap.

That black and gray truck with the white walls is friggin' sexy!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #44
Dunenutt
Newbee

To me... It's all art.

Bashing someone elses ride just isn't right.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #45
formergreen

Like vthe movie Mad Max, The cars were so diffrent it made the movie.... The acting was not the best, but the cars made everyone rent the movie.... Well the older crowd any way...
formergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #46
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
That's everyone for the pics and good info. I download pics off my daughters camera and look what she took pics of! I forgot mine at this show and didn't know she took some.
i love that door logo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
I have a buddy I go to cars shows with and he is always trying to get my opinion about stuff he likes. I finally had to tell him man you can like that if you like it why are you worried about what I think. Enjoy the show man dang.lol
To the guy that posted that some high end car owners are snobs. Man I met many rat rodders and traditional hotrodders that are snobs also. People are snobs when they think there way is the only way to do things. If we all liked the same things it would be a carbon copy world.
yea, my wife finally got that into my head i was worried about peoples opinions but now not. She's the type if you don't like it move on quit looking she'll tell ya about it to

yea, i had some people in mind i speak to them and waive but they act like i'm not there but i agree there is butt holes everywhere

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #47
67lowered

67lowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #48
67lowered

67lowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #49
67lowered