The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
franko72
Franko72

Aux . fuel tank switch

I have the factory fuel switch that is located at the left of the dash bezel on the dashjust above the left A.C. vent.It is for switching the readings from tank to tank only for the fuel guage .I think that it has a short or is a bad switch. does anyone have this type of switch and does the knob rotate a full circle or does it have stop points when it is turned. Wonder were to purchase a new one? Mine works as long as no one else messes with it.but if I hit a bad bump it sometimes puts the guage pegged.

1972 C20 cheyenne Super 402 BB/400 turbo LWB A/C Tilt, Cruise Control, Saddle tanks, Tach
My Home Page
Better to burn out than it is to rust
franko72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:16 PM   #2
Vince M

The 72 Camper Special I had, had a dual tank set-up and the switch like you described. It is a two position switch that goes from about ten o'clock to two o'clock. The knob had a small set screw if I remember much like the wiper knob.
I can't say I've ever seen a replacement anywhere but any two position switch would work. All it does it switch the sender wire from one tank or the other to the gas gauge. Mine had a chrome looking sticker above it that said "main" and "aux".
Old 07-13-2004, 06:00 PM   #3
franko72
Franko72

mine has the same sticker as yours. My knob does a full 360 turn and I have to play with it to reach the correct position. you say that it should have stopping points , sounds like mine is stripped. I might try to get a 2 position switch like you said. I just want the original fac. knob to fit the switch.Thanks

1972 C20 cheyenne Super 402 BB/400 turbo LWB A/C Tilt, Cruise Control, Saddle tanks, Tach
My Home Page
Better to burn out than it is to rust
franko72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 06:52 PM   #4
Vince M

Yeah..mine definately stopped in the two positions. You might just try removing it and see if there are some stops or something bent.