The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2005, 04:44 PM   #1
low burb

1972 Burb on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...516359741&rd=1
Not mine.

1971 GMC Suburban "Crusty"
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd
1978 Scout II
1992 Passat Syncro
low burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:58 PM   #2
4x4Poet

I especially like that it is RARE

Solid platform, otherwise. He did take pics at sunset/sunrise which washed out the colors and left harsh shadows on the interior pics. And why did he say it has A/C (unhooked)? Looks like a non-A/C heater box on the firewall. Certainly no evaporator. I think I can see a condensor, but that could just be the radiator fins. Missing a shroud, too, which is curious for an Arizona burb. Missing the pcv & hose, but that's no biggie. Good candidate for either a DD or a resto.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:55 PM   #3
70rs/ss

72 burb

Well, it is mine. I am under the impression that they made less 5k (4500ish) of them and in the world of muscle cars, that is rare (I own a 70 RS/SS 4-speed Camaro and it is one of less than 5k, also RARE) I am not a pro at the picts, sorry for the washout faded and shadowed colors in the interior, but I am not trying to hide anything. It is an AC burb, look close on the firewall near the heater box and you will see the dryer (evaporator), the vents are there as well as the condensor and compressor with the brackets, it was unhooked when I brought it home. The shroud is there as well, I live in Northern AZ and it was 22 degrees today, so overheating is no real issue right now. Thanks for the input though, I'll try to nock the 5 inches of snow that is now on it and get better picts of the paint, which is original and oxadized (33 years in AZ will do that), I'll also shoot some picts of the AC dash and vents.

Thanks, Mike
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:26 AM   #4
qksilver

I talked to him about it and he sent lots of pix. He would take 2500 for it but it has lots of issues concerning the body. I can't find them, sorry
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:58 AM   #5
4x4Poet

The rare thing is a running joke around here. The 67-72 window burbs aren't rare because nothing is really special from 67-72 and plenty were made between Chevy & GMC. Your rs/ss is rare both for the cool Camaros' shorter run and for rs/ss features among Camaros. Also, most 67-71/2 Camaros have been snapped up for resto due to their huge popularity. Your burb has none of these aspects to make it truly rare in the car collector sense.

Untouched burbs pop up all the time. Most people don't have a clue as to their potential as a cool 2wd cruiser or as a tough, spacious 4x4 for hunting, fishing, camping, etc. Yours looks like a great ride for someone willing to put some work into it. Did you put the non-A/C heater box in it or was it that way from a previous owner? And, IIRC, the dryer belongs on the radiator shroud.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:54 AM   #6
cheyenne10

comments

Is the air a dealer installed type addition? Glove box list/build sheet does not show factory front and rear air that 72's had as an option. Does it still have the factory tilt steering column? If so I do not see it pictured or advertised. Thats a option holding good value.

Rare... thats an opinion that is personal I guess. I think this truck is rare. Not many 72's. If there were only 5K 72 1/2 tons it would be considered rare to me. Especailly if it had a virtually rust free body. A rust free suburban body is real rare in my opinion. Production on subs vs trucks must be low ratio helping any rare claim. If nothing else it is a catch word for discussion and can't see where its any misleading info.

Good luck on sale. Keep pulling those burbs out of the weeds.

Last edited by cheyenne10; 01-04-2005 at 01:55 AM. Reason: spelling
cheyenne10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:46 AM   #7
spencra
This, is my BOOMSTICK!

That's a nice looking Burb. I personally would consider it to be a rare truck. As scary as it sounds I don't recall ever seeing one personally, only in pics, and I'm 30 years old. I always have my eyes peeled but still can't find one. That's the Northeast for you.
Good luck with the sale 70rs/ss, wish it were me buying it.

Got rid of my projects for now.
1980 Jeep CJ7
1998 Nissan Sentra (my car)
2001 Toyota Sienna (wife's, of course)
spencra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:30 AM   #8
70rs/ss

Cool burb

As far as I can tell the AC is factory. It has the AC vents in the dash and that is the only way to get them (is if it came that way from the factory, or it is a big consperiacy, and someone was trying to clone an AC Burb, wait a minute, no one would do that unless it was "RARE"!) The dryer is laying in the fenderwell because the hose is cut and it is just laying there. As for the box, I believe it is that way because the majority of the AC stuff is in the cab under the dash? (I think) it is rust free (at least no holes that I can see, body or under). I saw a post here in the boards that show production on the 72 1/2 ton 2WD to be very low, so it is RARE, period! If you do not think so, OK, but find me a lot of them (like a fox bodied mustang or the 80's Camaro's) For the price and the fact that it is all there and not cobbled or hacked makes it worth the asking price. I am not sure of the "issues" quicksilver mentioned, and I am curious as to what he thought they were? I started out asking more, but need to sell it, so if anyone is interested check out my photo album @ http://photobucket.com/albums/v204/badazz70rsss/? I am going to add a couple of additional pictures to show the items in dispute. As for the build sheet, it does not have rear AC, so maybe that is why it is not on there? I am not sure, disregaurd the SNOW, and take into consideration, for why the shroud is in the back! Lastly, the tilt columns had a tendancy to get loose and wobly, I believe that is why it was replaced with the straight column?! Or yet another consperiacy, who knows. There are now 13 picts on the photo album so look away, and try not to talk down to me or my Burb as I am selling it and some of your condecending remarks (albeit your right to an opinion) might prevent me from selling it, just because you dissagree, or it is not as nice as yours (DD[demolition derby??] ) I am not sure where you get off, but OH well..
Old 01-04-2005, 02:13 PM   #9
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

Relax!!! This is just people having a conversation about your truck and talking about the details is what mostly helps all of us learn more about our trucks. Don't take it the wrong way....

I am curious to where you got your prod number of less then 5000 72 Burbs. I have the production numbers, and for 72, Chevy made over 27,000 Suburbans. Yours appears to be a 1972 C10 Suburban, which means that there are over 17,000 C10 burbs just like yours. Throw in another detail like rear barn doors, the brings your burb down to one of 6748 similar burbs. (You can even reduce this more by figuring out what % got Tilt column, A/C, etc...)

Don't get upset about us disputing the "Rare" thing. There is this thing where those who are less informed that claim their 67-72 "3-Door" burb is rare because it has "3 doors". All 67-72 burbs have 3 doors.

Things to call rare in the 67-72 Truck world would be things like
1967 1/2 ton 4x4 8foot stepside truck (500 made)
1967 1/2 ton 4x4 Burb (166 made)
1967 1/2 ton 4x4 Panel (30 made)
1967 3/4 ton 4x4 Panel (8 made)
1967 3/4 ton 4x4 Burb (120 made)

Here is a link to a post I made in FAQ regarding Prod numbers.
http://207.44.196.117/vboard/showthread.php3?t=104816
Just more info for you!!! Good luck with the sale!

Just looked at your pictures, and your A/C is not factory, it is a dealer installed A/C as the two side dash vents are too small to be factory. That is why some of the other comments regarding your A/C don't jive. Also, if it were factory it would be on the option list.

Last edited by John Fabris; 01-04-2005 at 02:25 PM.
John Fabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:44 PM   #10
4x4Poet

DD means "daily driver." Your truck is in such good condition that, with some TLC, someone could rely on it for daily transportation. It's also nice enough to invest a full restoration on. Like John Fabris said, 67-72 burbs are not rare, but they certainly are uncommon. I meant no harm by commenting on your use of the word. I wish you the best on your sale. You're asking a very reasonable price, which is definately rare in this day and age.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:58 PM   #11
70rs/ss

72 burb

I was more aiming it at quicksilver and his quote, "He would take 2500 for it but it has lots of issues concerning the body." I sent him the same picts as are in my photo album, which is the link I put in my other post, and there are no "ISSUES" that I am aware of. Can anyone help me to see them (other than it needs paint?) I was confusing my numbers, I have a 68 4X4 burb and it is the one of 4200 ish. I was aware that all Subs were 3-door, but not that the AC was dealer installed (isn't that kinda "rare", not to over use the term) I was off on the DD thing, and it is actually a DD, I just put new plugs, HEI, wires, belts, hoses, rear brakes, and rebuilt the 350 trans. It will make a nice truck for someone, but like I mentioned I just brought home a new project truck 68 4X4 Burb with a 327, that is bone stock original down to the seats and rubber mats. Thanks for pointing out some of that stuff, it is there just not factory original.

Mike

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 01-04-2005 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:25 PM   #12
Stryker67

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fabris
Relax!!! This is just people having a conversation about your truck and talking about the details is what mostly helps all of us learn more about our trucks. Don't take it the wrong way....

I am curious to where you got your prod number of less then 5000 72 Burbs. I have the production numbers, and for 72, Chevy made over 27,000 Suburbans. Yours appears to be a 1972 C10 Suburban, which means that there are over 17,000 C10 burbs just like yours. Throw in another detail like rear barn doors, the brings your burb down to one of 6748 similar burbs. (You can even reduce this more by figuring out what % got Tilt column, A/C, etc...)

Don't get upset about us disputing the "Rare" thing. There is this thing where those who are less informed that claim their 67-72 "3-Door" burb is rare because it has "3 doors". All 67-72 burbs have 3 doors.

Things to call rare in the 67-72 Truck world would be things like
1967 1/2 ton 4x4 8foot stepside truck (500 made)
1967 1/2 ton 4x4 Burb (166 made)
1967 1/2 ton 4x4 Panel (30 made)
1967 3/4 ton 4x4 Panel (8 made)
1967 3/4 ton 4x4 Burb (120 made)

Here is a link to a post I made in FAQ regarding Prod numbers.
http://207.44.196.117/vboard/showthread.php3?t=104816
Just more info for you!!! Good luck with the sale!

Just looked at your pictures, and your A/C is not factory, it is a dealer installed A/C as the two side dash vents are too small to be factory. That is why some of the other comments regarding your A/C don't jive. Also, if it were factory it would be on the option list.
Hey John, thanks for the info. Where did you find these numbers? According to your listing, my Longhorn falls in the "rare" category. I already knew that, though.

Long-Horn Pickup - Model C/Series 20 - 133-in. w.b.
MODEL BODY TYPE PRICE WEIGHT PROD.TOTAL
CE21034 Pickup 8.5ft 3088 3950 3328

Considering there were 3328 made in 72, I would assume the number of trucks on the road or restorable would easily fall between 400-800. Mine is currently a POS, but it will be on the road before the end of the year.

As for the Suburban listed on this thread, I would gladly buy it if I had the $$$
Good luck on the sale. Can't wait to see your 4X4.
The world needs ditch-diggers too.
Stryker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:59 PM   #13
low burb

Compared to 270,000 8 ft bed 1/2 tons it is rare. My Dad had a '64 Cadillac that was one of 15,000 and Caddy guys considered it rare. My '85 LTD LX is one of 3280 and is considered rare. None of these are like 1 of 10 made but rare none the less.

1971 GMC Suburban "Crusty"
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd
1978 Scout II
1992 Passat Syncro

Last edited by low burb; 01-04-2005 at 08:08 PM.
low burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 02:37 AM   #14
4x4Poet

70 rs/ss, since your burb for sale has A/C vents in the dash, I doubt that it was dealer installed. I've never heard of dealer installed A/C involving cutting holes in the dash for A/C vents. I hope someone would correct me if I'm wrong. Unless a former owner cut holes in the dash for the A/C vents, AFAIK, you can rightly claim factory A/C, but you will confuse potential buyers because your burb has a non-A/C heater core and box on the firewall and the A/C compressor and its brackets are not attached to the engine (or shown). I'm curious, do you have the A/C heater core and evaporator along with their firewall mounting "box?" And the compressor? In other words, except for the condensor, the burb looks like A/C within the interior, but non-A/C in the engine compartment.

If the build sheet does not say A/C anywhere, you might pull an in-dash A/C side vent to check if the paint is missing from a cut rather than factory painted thru and thru. If you see unpainted or repainted cut marks, you probably know a previous owner tried to install A/C. Also, do the dash vents have hoses running to them? No need to reply, I'm just curious. The truck does not lose value either way since the A/C is not hooked up and has missing parts on the truck itself (evap, A/C heater core, compressor & brackets, etc.). You still have a fair price even for a truck with absolutely no A/C components.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:23 AM   #15
olblue60@aol.com

Excellent truck! and $2500. Yes its an aftermarket A/C. I would love to see that here in the east but as I have found, Its a $1300 ship. What an easy fix for a low starting price. I dont see the tilt everyone is mentioning??. Looks like the lever is being misteaken for the wires under the column.Your truck has one of the better bodies that I have seen. I would love to see some pics of your 68 4wd. I brought mine back from NM. I'm currently stripping it for paint. It too has a nice body but not as nice as the one that you are selling.Gotta Camaro in paint right now! Seems we have similar interests. Good luck

John
1941 Chevy Sedan Delivery
1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery
1972 Camaro SS 396 #s matching
1971 Harley FX Superglide
olblue60@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:05 AM   #16
smokekiki
Mike

4x4Poet,The side vents are not the factory style vents.If You look close at the center vent,the blower switch is part of it.The 67-71 had the heater only controls,with an overhead tunnel.The 72's had the same dash and a/c controls as the trucks did.The 72 had a seperate unit in the rear with a switch for the rear blower on the gauge cluster when You had front and rear air.There are quite a few with aftermarket air.A/C was not as important in a truck back then.It is still worth the money.You can put a modern a/c system in for around a grand.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:19 PM   #17
special-K
Special Order

un-molested,rust-free 67-72 Suburban is rare!I see AZ Subs with rust in the rear 1/4s.This has always been a problem area.If I had 3 sitting in my driveway,I wouldn`t think they were so rare,I guess.The guy gives an honest description and offers a reasonable price.I don`t know why some have to pounce on things for sale and knock them like they do sometimes.True,sometimes there`s something about a sale that is obviously ridiculous to us here at the most knowledgeable sight on the net.But this guy is a member and offered it here first.Didn`t you guys see it?This kind of herd mentality only serves to "knock" the quality of knowledge here to a lower level.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 09:26 PM   #18
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Poet
70 rs/ss, since your burb for sale has A/C vents in the dash, I doubt that it was dealer installed. I've never heard of dealer installed A/C involving cutting holes in the dash for A/C vents. I hope someone would correct me if I'm wrong. Unless a former owner cut holes in the dash for the A/C vents, AFAIK, you can rightly claim factory A/C, but you will confuse potential buyers because your burb has a non-A/C heater core and box on the firewall and the A/C compressor and its brackets are not attached to the engine (or shown). I'm curious, do you have the A/C heater core and evaporator along with their firewall mounting "box?" And the compressor? In other words, except for the condensor, the burb looks like A/C within the interior, but non-A/C in the engine compartment.

If the build sheet does not say A/C anywhere, you might pull an in-dash A/C side vent to check if the paint is missing from a cut rather than factory painted thru and thru. If you see unpainted or repainted cut marks, you probably know a previous owner tried to install A/C. Also, do the dash vents have hoses running to them? No need to reply, I'm just curious. The truck does not lose value either way since the A/C is not hooked up and has missing parts on the truck itself (evap, A/C heater core, compressor & brackets, etc.). You still have a fair price even for a truck with absolutely no A/C components.
As far as I can tell there are no missing parts to the AC, I have the compressor with brackets, the condenser (the radiator looking thing), and like I said the other components are in that black box under the dash (check out the picts in my album from the passenger's side). It states a tilt column on the build sheet , but it must have become loose or woobly, because it is no longer there, and was replaced with a straight column.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:16 AM   #19
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K
un-molested,rust-free 67-72 Suburban is rare!
Good point. But we didn't knock his truck though I still don't understand the "body has inconsistencies" comment. We just picked apart what seemed like inconsistencies between the ebay pics and the description. From my first post I said the truck was a good cadidate for either a DD or a resto. And nobody ever said his price was out of line. I did miss any posting he made here to sell the truck. In any case, somebody's going to get a sound truck for a good price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokekiki
4x4Poet,The side vents are not the factory style vents.If You look close at the center vent,the blower switch is part of it.The 67-71 had the heater only controls,with an overhead tunnel.The 72's had the same dash and a/c controls as the trucks did.The 72 had a seperate unit in the rear with a switch for the rear blower on the gauge cluster when You had front and rear air....
Yeah, I did have in mind my 72 burb's Harrison A/C before you posted this info. Thanks. Is the evaporator on the inside of the firewall on 70rs/ss's burb? Is that why the firewall has a non-factory A/C heater core/fan housing? That would explain a lot.

Yup, my 72 has the gauge cluster switch below the headlight switch. I've been looking for a replacement panel with the proper markings for the roof-air switch.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:38 PM   #20
70rs/ss

72 burb 4 sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by qksilver
I talked to him about it and he sent lots of pix. He would take 2500 for it but it has lots of issues concerning the body. I can't find them, sorry

4X4poet,

Above is the post where this guy says my burb has lots of issues concerning the body, and I am still wondering what they are? If anyone can find them let me know what they are.

Mike
Old 01-07-2005, 03:00 AM   #21
4x4Poet

70rs/ss, I was also refering to the original comment by qksilver. Sorry I didn't make that clear in my last post. I can see how you thought I was refering to your first mention of qksilver's original comment. And, from the pics, I can't see any issues with the body either other than the obvious faded paint that is not in doubt.

$1600 with more than a day to go. Not bad. At least you picked up another bidder since yesterday. At least three bidders seem serious since they used auto bidding. One may just be patient. May you have last minute surge bidding.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:01 AM   #22
special-K
Special Order

My comments were`nt directed at anyone in particular.4x4poet,looking over this post again,I feel you were being objective.These Subs are pretty uncommon and,I feel,somewhat rare.Many are too far gone w/cancer that I see and not worth considering for restoration,to me.I guess something doesn`t have to be rare to be a "hard find".I know you all have seen what I mean about guys jumping on the ridicule wagon.I had just seen another thread where this was going on and was left annoyed.When I linked to E-bay and saw this AZ Sub I knew it was the one I saw on this board.Didn`t even look any further,just popped-back and started checking comments.As long as we keep the criticism constructive and accurate,everybody should be cool.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 01-07-2005, 09:28 AM   #23
smokekiki
Mike

4x4Poet,it should have a unit that fits behind and under the dash.As far as an a/c cluster goes,the piece that says rear air is seperate from the bezel.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:05 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Check this out:Out where hardly anyone would see it,I saw a K/20 Suburban for sale.I had seen it there before just sitting.It had 12.50/33s on 10"finned aluminum wheels,brown w/gold top,and pinstriped.A mild custom.Checking it out closer.It`s a`71 CustomDeluxe,A/C,tilt,tach,posi,panel doors,skid plates,automatic among other options.Was originally Ohcre/White.The guy was all about the motor,the only thing described on his for sale sign.It gets better.I see it`s pulled back and away with the hood off.He sold the motor.I finally talked to him,he wanted $1300.The body was bondoed to death,bubbling and coming loose.It was way up into the door jambs(all)and into the floor.Looked good from a distance.I had located a C/20 & a C/10 with relatively rust-free bodies(AZ & CO).They were in the $4000 range.For around $6500 and a body-swap I coulda had a nice,unrestored ride.I was tight on cash then and that is still alot of money.So,I passed.Rode by any time I was in the area.It sat for a long time.Finally it was gone...

Tim

Old 01-08-2005, 12:21 AM   #25
Staceydude

I like it.... Looks like a nice truck.

White mountain area is awesome also...

I bet the price goes up as the auction gets closer to ending.

Good luck on the sale.

Regards,

Stacey
Staceydude is offline   Reply With Quote