The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2005, 10:52 AM   #1
Guinness69

Power brakes

I want to convert my 66 3/4 ton to a disc/drum set up and have everything to do it except for the brake booster and new master cylinder. Is there any reason why I can't or shouldn't use the booster and master cylinder set up from a 67-72 truck? Or, does anyone have any suggestions on which set up I should use?

Thanks
Guinness69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:57 PM   #2
chipotledude05
Strategery

Check out www.mpbrakes.com. They have a wide variety of master cylinders and boosters for our trucks. Even have boosters that will work with a hydrolic clutch set up like in '61.

Matt
Old 03-12-2005, 12:55 PM   #3
carryallnut

using 67-72 booster

That's what I am doing, the hardest part is making sure everything is lined up on the firewalll. You will notice that the 72 booster has different mounts than the 66 Powerbrake mounts. You will have to drill holes to accomodate the later style mounts, and go behind the firewall and make a plate for the bolt to go into for a solid mount. If I remember correctly there might even be a tab that has to be cut off or bent (it's been a while) 3/4 ton is a beauty to work with, no problems like on the 1/2 ton. 8 lugs all the way around. Master Power Brake has neat stuff but it sure is expensive (for me). It does make sense if you end up having to rebuild the booster and buy a new master cylinder and proportoning valve. Around here that ends up costing between 100 and 200 dolllars.
carryallnut is offline   Reply With Quote