The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2002, 04:01 PM   #1
dubie

Can you make paint stick to vinyl???

If you were to paint something on black vinyl, how would you make it stick? Is there and adhesive you would first have to apply? Or is there a type of paint that is made for this kind of application. It would have to be something that could stand up to the elements.

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 04:37 PM   #2
jay-dawg
chevelito

i know they have vinyl dye but I dont know if it will work on black vinyl. It's a spray on.

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 04:39 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Going from black will be the hardest part.
I have used a vinyl die un a spray can with OK results. You have to make sure the vinyl is absolutly clean. After all the armor all and layers of dust, it is kinda difficult. I used a pre-paint cleaner.
I went from blue to black, and the headliner, dash pad, and visors look awsome 15 months later. However, the door panels are starting to scratch up a little.
As far as UV damage, I have yet to see any.
The stuff I bought was in a parts store...it is called Ultra Vinyl Color Which is made by Plasti-kote. It is produced here in Ohio, but I got this can in Texas, so it is available on the non-local market.
Hope this helps.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 04:48 PM   #4
dbenamati

I tried the same as Longhorn and it worked well the second time around. The first I didn't get all the armorall off and as soon as the paint dried, it flaked right off. I used 409 and a small scrub brush to clean the surface....if you use anything stronger like a pre paint cleaner...check on a small patch. I tried using a little naptha on mine and it softened the vinyl a alittle..I was afraid it was melting.

Dave
Old 06-21-2002, 05:03 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Very good point, I guess I got lucky.
Something I forgot to mention, I roughened mine up a little with a green scratchy pad that I swiped from under the sink from the wife's dish cleanin stash.
I'm not sure if a dirty surface would keep the die from staying on, I got the dreaded 'fisheye' all over all mine when I sprayed it. If you don't know what fish eye is, you'll know whaen you get it. Basicly, it is when a contaminate keeps the paint from sticking in small areas, and it actually reppels the paint from that area...much like the Dawn comercial when they put soap in the greasy water, but not that dramatic.
Also, I forgot to mention, coloring the arm rests is not a good idea either.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote