The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2005, 01:12 AM   #1
65ChevyC20

spark plug wire question

Hey guys, I just installed an HEI into my 65 C20, along with the HEI I purchased new plug wires too. When I got home to put the wires on the distibutor they wouldn't click on, I then look at my old points dist, and notice that the connections on the dist. are of the female type. Understand?? Where as the new HEI dist, has terminals (male) that stick out of the dist to click the wires on.

I have a 327 in it w/ the sparkplugs exiting straight out of the head.

Here is my problem, when i purchased the wires for my 65 I just said I needed a set of wires for a 65 Chevy, they sold me the wires, they didn't work. I went back and asked for some wires for a 77 Chevy, figuring that was the first year of HEI, the ends of the wires did plug into the distr. but now they gave me wires with a 90 degree spark plug end. I have old center dump exhaust manifolds and the wires didn't work with them. I wetn back to the auto parts place and said I needed wires that would fit on a HEI dist. but the spark plug ends need to be straight. The parts people just kind of snickered and said they couldn't help me.

Does anyone have suggestions of what to ask for at the parts counter, I guess I could make my own.

Thanks for reading this
65ChevyC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 07:51 AM   #2
64fleetside

Get some wires for a 75-80 Corvette, they had similar exhaust manifolds +HEI. Brian
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:14 PM   #3
rcurrier44

Aftermarket...you can choose what you want and will get a better/longer lasting wire.
rcurrier44 is offline   Reply With Quote