The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
ElectraGlide

Is it or is it not a Longhorn?? HELP!!!

This may make me sound stupid to some of you folks, but having a hard time figuring out if my truck is a longhorn or not. Basically what I have is a '67 lwb stepside. I can not find any mention of a longhorn manufactured before 1969 and no mention of one in a stepside. The only thing about this truck that tells me it could be a longhorn is the fact that the bed length is 104" and the wheelbase is 133", not to mention that the previous owner swears it is, but everybody else tells me it's not. If possible I would like some info on how to figure it all out, either by the VIN number or some other means.
ElectraGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
emmett

Re: Is it or is it not a Longhorn?? HELP!!!

to the board from Wisconsin!
I do belive longhorns were mostly fleetside (could be wrong) but I do know they have an extension welded to the front of the box a vertical seam about 6" from front of the box going from top to bottom.
Hope this helped a little.
Latter EMMETT

Kaukauna WI Airplaines don't land here they are sucked down
emmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
Orange70chevy

They did make a 9' stepbed. I don't know if they call it a longhorn. From what I understand 9' stepbed trucks are hard to find.
Orange70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
toms68cst

Longhorns were introduced mid 68. The 133 inch WB step side is not considered a Longhorn. GMC 133 inch wb fleetside "Longhorns" were produced but were not badged as such.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.

Last edited by toms68cst; 01-03-2006 at 08:37 PM.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:41 PM   #5
tnblazerk5
User #12137

http://www.longhorntrucks.freeservers.com/
this is longhornmans site and its full if info
tnblazerk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:01 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

tnblazerk5, thanks.
ElectraGlide, you do not have a Longhorn. You have a one ton stepside truck. All longhorns were 133 inch wheel base fleetside trucks, no stepsides.
A longhorn's bed is 8 1/2 feet, yours is a 9 foot.
There IS a following for the 9 foot step, however, it is a very small group.
Please take a look at my site, on the first page, it will give you the model numbers to confirm if it is or isn't a longhorn.
However, you could get that 67 one ton, and locate a longhorn bed, fill in the side markers on the bed, and make a one off 67 Longhorn.... the bed would bolt right on, and you'd throw quite a few ppl for a loop, however, it would be wrong to try and pass it off as a real one. There's plenty of people who swear up and down there is no such thing as a 68 longhorn, but they did in fact start production on March 11th or 68.
Do you have any pics of this one ton stepside?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Same truck,different bed,right?The Longhorn is built on the same frame.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:32 PM   #8
Longhorn Man

yep.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:46 PM   #9
ElectraGlide

Longhorn Man, I tried uploading pics of the truck in here, but they won't load, something about the file being too large, haven't figured how to make them smaller, any other way I can possibly send them to you?
Old 01-04-2006, 04:56 PM   #10
tnblazerk5
User #12137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
tnblazerk5, thanks.
?
your very welcome
i like your web site
i missed a longhorn a few weeks ago here local we dont see many of them here
tnblazerk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:07 PM   #11
ElectraGlide

Oh, also wanted to ask if the fact this truck has a wood bed has any meaning? All I can say is that whatever I know about this truck was told me by the previous owner, other than the fact he claimed it was a longhorn, he also claimed it was one of only 1700 ever made, I think he was shining me on. But I honestly don't care, all I care about is I got me a good old truck.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:41 PM   #12
70rs/ss

From what longhornman stated above that one of 1700 is possible and possibly one of less than that, but realistically rare is a relative term when talking about trucks. One of 10 in a truck nothing like a one of 10 hemi cuda. I watched Barrett Jackson all weekend and the money paid out was down right ignorant, and some trucks brought decent money, but not muscle car money. Not being a downer, just letting you know. I'd guess a rare truck would be a highly optioned BBC with AC and a shortbed, and the money it would bring would still be reasonable. Although there was that thread for a one of one 68/77 Blazer with a BBC and yadda yadda, but no picts so does it exist? If it is one of one someone will pay, but a one ton 9 foot bed would be best appreciated by you the owner, and small following as mentioned above. Enjoy it whatever it is!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #13
Longhorn Man

You can e-mail me your pics if you like cockroach93 @yahoo.com (get rid of the space) I can reduce the size for you and I'll post on this thread. Then you can save them from this thread and they'll be 'postable' .
As for the wooden bed floor... All longhorns had wood, and all stepsides, 6 1/2 foot. 8 foot and 9 foot step sides, all had wood. And they stayed wood in the step side beds untill the end of the 87 model year run when they went to a 'less real' step side bed.
One of 1700.... That too is inacurate. On the Cs series, there was only 4026 built. I don't have the numbers here for the CE series, but you get a general idea, you do have a rare truck there.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #14
ElectraGlide

longhornman, I believe I need to make a correction. I may have given you bad info, but according to my VIN number, this truck is not a 1 ton, but a 1/2 ton, which, according to the NADA book makes my truck worth a little more money.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #15
Longhorn Man

Talking Re: Is it or is it not a Longhorn?? HELP!!!

In all reality, forget about that NADA book. It usually isn't very acurate.
Looking at the pics you e-mailed me, I think you are right. It looks to be an 8 foot stepside, not a 9 footer. (9 foot stepside beds only came on the one ton chassis, 8 foot was all that came on the 3/4 ton, and in the 1/2 ton you could get a 6 1/2 foot, or 8 foot)
Post your VIN here if you would.. leave out the last few digits if you feel like *they* are watching you. I'd like to decode that sucker also.
Here's the pics you sent me, looks like a pretty solid truck. The tailgate looks to be off an 73 - 87, but everything else looks about right, including the engine which APEARS to maybe be original, and certianly of the right vintage.
(The little tiny pic at the bottom is small enough to be used as an avatar)
Attached Images

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 01-04-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:40 PM   #16
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectraGlide
This may make me sound stupid to some of you folks, but having a hard time figuring out if my truck is a longhorn or not. Basically what I have is a '67 lwb stepside. I can not find any mention of a longhorn manufactured before 1969 and no mention of one in a stepside. The only thing about this truck that tells me it could be a longhorn is the fact that the bed length is 104" and the wheelbase is 133", not to mention that the previous owner swears it is, but everybody else tells me it's not. If possible I would like some info on how to figure it all out, either by the VIN number or some other means.
My longhorn does indeed measure 104"from the front of the box to the gate......IIRC, the 8' boxes were right @ 98" (nose to butt). It sortof throws a monkey wrench in the mix...... exactly how long is a factory 9' box? The butt of that truck looks long to me.......is it leaf sprung on the rear? is there a spot on the frame (under the cab), around about the trans crossmember , that is freakin tall? L
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:44 PM   #17
ElectraGlide

ok, first couple digits of the VIN are CE147B ( I think that last digit is supposed to be a B, although on the title it says 8 ). I read this as meaning conventional 8 cylinder with a GVW of 3,900, hence the 1/2 ton, '67 model made in Baltimore. With the fact the wheels are 6 lug I believe that makes it a 10 series truck. As you can tell from the pic, there are no badges anywhere on it, the only thing that could even be considered a badge is an upraised bowtie emblem just to the front of each door. I just have never seen a truck like this anywhere, and really don't know what exactly it's supposed to look like. As for the motor, it's SUPPOSED to be the original 327 with a 3 speed manual trans, which is also original I'm told. Right now it runs real good, except the carb needs to be rebuilt and needs all new gaskets everywhere, it had been sitting for 3 straight years in Florida, just surprised there's not more rust on it.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:01 PM   #18
mblackburnjr
collector of vintage rust

It could still be the original 327, but didnt the intake have the oil filler tube in front?
mblackburnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:42 PM   #19
Longhorn Man

Well, with the EGR and all, that intake obviously isn't original.... but I bieleve the valve covers are being the lack of an oil fill. I was actually looking at the lack of acc mounting holes on the heads when i made that statement.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:21 AM   #20
ElectraGlide

well obviously a lot of what I was told about this truck isn't true but I still think I got a good deal for what I paid. This is going to be a long term restoration project but right now I'm just trying to learn everything I can about it as far as how it's supposed to look and what parts are original and which aren't.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #21
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectraGlide
As you can tell from the pic, there are no badges anywhere on it, the only thing that could even be considered a badge is an upraised bowtie emblem just to the front of each door.

I think those upraised bowties are the emblems, but they have been painted over. There should be a 10 or 20 under that, unless they were cut or broken off.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #22
ElectraGlide

yeah, I'm thinking there should be a 10 somewhere on there, cuz it is a 10 series, but I can't see where it would be. It looks to me like the paint job was applied with a brush, so I don't know if any holes were filled in. As I've stated before, I've never seen a truck like this so I don't know what's supposed to be there as far as any possible trim or badges. Would love to have a factory pic or a pic of a similar truck that has been restored or is original. Also gotta ask, does anybody know if the tail lights are the original ones? Every parts catalog I've seen for this model doesn't show tail lights in that style for this model year.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #23
Longhorn Man

nope those aren't stock either. The stock ones are large round ones.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:39 PM   #24
ElectraGlide

I appreciate all the info you folks have passed on, kudos especially to longhornman, I've learned a few things here and hope to learn a lot more.