The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2002, 12:20 AM   #1
72Lester
Genuine smartass

Unhappy A bittersweet day for the ol' long step

**CAUTION: LONGWINDED STORY**

Well today was one for the record books. My ad for sellin' the '67 long step made it into the newspaper today and starting at 6:30 AM this morning I had people calling and they were still calling up until I got on the internet at 10 PM (67-72's are pretty popular here). A few looked at it and told me they'd think about it and then a high school kid came and looked it over and I guess he loved it. He went and got me $700 cash and was grinnin' ear to ear, and yes; he knows about this board now so help him when he finally quits lurking :p Anyway he drives it out of the driveway and heads 20 miles for home. About 10 minutes later, he calls back and asks if I can come give him a hand because the truck quit. So, me now having a guilty conscious about sellin' a "needs some work" truck to a yougin' decide to give him a hand. I drive down the road about 5 miles and there sits the truck on the shoulder of the road with a trail of oil leading up to it - and it looks bad He said that it had good oil pressure and the next time he looked down it had none and then the motor stopped. I looked under the hood and the front side cover on the ol' 250 had come loose and had apparently been the source for the oil loss. Not surprising to me was that there was no gasket behind it except for some rubber "tub & tile" caulking which was the trademark of the P.O. (He fixed everything with caulking - cab corners, windows, floorboards and now apparently engines too!!!) So being the nice guy that I am I offer to give the kid some money back, after all it wasn't his fault - but he wouldn't take it, just wanted me to help him tow it home. I think he's definately a died-in-the-wool bowtie owner!!! So as we're hookin' the tow rope up, another guy stops and asks if we need help, and the kid tells him what happened and that we've got it under control. We're just about ready to go and the same guy pulls back up and asks the kid if he wants a freshly rebuilt 350 for $150, seems he just pulled it out of his '78 Caprice so that he could install a big block. So now the kids got the truck and good engine, I wish I had that luck!!! I helped the kid push it into his garage and he started pullin' the engine before I pulled out of his driveway. So I'm happy, the kid's happy, and now the ol' long step is gettin' a second chance at life!!! The best part is that my wife started having labor pains today...'bout to have a little girl

Wanted: 1972 10 or 20 4X4, V8 4spd
72Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 12:34 AM   #2
nroden

Seems like a real good guy. I have to admit that I wasn't that hard at it when I started on my truck..... I really didn't have a clue what to do.
Retired and in the dry... still runs. I now drive Red '01 Ford Focus... better MPG!!!
nroden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 01:45 AM   #3
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

sounds like it went to a good home anyways

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 01:47 AM   #4
bigvinnie

good story, sounds like the truck has a good owner who's gonna appreciate it...

good luck on the new exemption...

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 10:48 AM   #5
ThreeQuarter

Congrats to the new owner and the new daddy (first?)!
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote