The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2002, 11:34 PM   #1
Russ72C10
Four Wheeler

Dash cluster lights?

Hey everyone! Yup, I'm back at it again. (Can't get enough of this thing... yet) At any rate....

I took a look around under the drivers side dash tonight. The gauge lights are very dim. The fuel gauge lights up decent enough. and so does the Air Pressure light (glows perfectly). The others are basically worthless. The speedo is so dim I can barely make out how fast I'm going once the sun goes down. And nevermind the gauges that are to the left of the steering column, they vanish in the darkness. I noticed the lights are on a circuit board.... so much for my quick "change bulbs" idea... so...

Can the lights be replaced? If so, HOW?

If not...... what are some suggestions?

Also.... how exactly would I go about running wires up to my dome light? I have the dome light and back plate, but... there aren't any wires in the top of the cab. Anyone have a sneaky idea for snaking some wires around there?

I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-05-2002, 11:39 PM   #2
Benrs86

ok, there are a bunch of lights in the circuit board. the socket and bulb and all turn left 90 degrees and slide out. then u pull the bulb, and head for the parts store. there are like 8 of those lights back there? that twist right into the circuit board. goodl uck, Ben
3 on the tree
350 engine 4 bolt main
rv cam
AIM = Alphray04
Benrs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 11:41 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

ON your dash lights, the lights are really simple..You'l l have to do the under-dash-boogie and crawl around hurting your back, but there are these little black dealywops in there, twist them and they will pop off.
However, i think it is a crusty panel that is not grounding very well. Try replacing the bulbs, and it it doesn't improve, you'll have to ensure a good ground. Best way to do that is to put your own ground on it.
For your cab light, Do you have the proper harness? If not, i suggest getting one from a junker or from GMC Paul. (or another vendor) Then you can feed it to the drivers side from the hole for the light, it will find its way down by the gas tank and you'll be able to pull it through to the plug up by your fuse box. The wires are orange and white.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 11:47 PM   #4
Russ72C10
Four Wheeler

Whew, fast replies! Thanks guys! This board is great!

I saw those little black things on the circuit board, never crossed my mind to try pulling or twisting them (didn't want to break anything). The whole boogie-crawl thing is rough with me being 6' 240, but... for the sake of an illuminated cluster, I'll sacrifice.. :p

I don't think I have any harness? All I have is the dome light cover, and the base that has the orange/white wire combo coming off of it. I'll take a look at GMC Pauls (or one of the other vendors) for the proper harness.... is there any reason why the wires just couldn't be ran directly to the fuse panel?

Hmm. It's only 11pm here. I might go back out and tinker for a little while.......

Thanks a million!
Old 08-06-2002, 12:04 AM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The orange and white...that's it!
It may just be lost behinde the fuel tank or something...
I would do it becouse it is easier and in realityu, a little better.
I'm not a big fan of splices...esp if you can't inspect them from time to time. (not if it is in the cab walls)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote