The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2002, 09:33 PM   #1
Russ72C10
Four Wheeler

Dash light problem found...

I'm pretty sure the conductive sheet behind the dash isn't supposed to look like this.

Notice the tears and buckles? Anyone know where to get a replacement doo-hicky to make things new again?
Old 08-06-2002, 09:38 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Any vendor would have them...but I'd check the junk yard first.
Actually, you can bypass the burned circuit. I have my fuel guage bypassed. Just trace that 'wire' 9the printed line) till it goes into the plug, and slip a wire inbetween the card and the contack on the harness ensuring it does not touch anything else, then route it to where it needs to go.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 11:01 PM   #3
68 Stepside
huh?

Uhm wow, looks like that got a little warm at some point. If it were me, while replacing the circuit, I would also check the wiring out, to make sure there isn't a bare wire somewhere causing the problem.

Where are the exterior pics of the truck? I mean, c'mon, it can't be THAT bad...surely not as ugly as the spaceship truck

TJ
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 12:50 AM   #4
Russ72C10
Four Wheeler

I may try tracing the "wires" in that conductive strip. I mean, heck, what's the worst that can happen? The lights are already not working properly! LOL!

The previous owner did say that one night he was driving along, hit some rough train tracks, and smoke came out from behind the dash. But he chalked it up to the radio. I bet it's because the back of the dash got all toasty. I don't think the guy knew how to wire much... or to cover bare ends. There were several when I bought the truck.

And here's a link the the post I made about a week ago with pictures of the truck..... the old rusty pipes are gone in favor of 2½" duals that angle-exit in behind the rear wheels w/ slash-cut chrome tips. (It was my first fancy fixer-upper mod!)

Took some pics of the "New" 72

Once all this little stuff is behind me, time to start tackling the big stuff. Fortunately, I think these small chores will give my bank account some much-needed time to build back up....