The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
68stepside4life

1968 re-do underneath.need help

I have a 1968 Chevy Stepside 1/2ton. Almost everything is done on the body but i NEED new shocks and springs badly. I am new to everything trucks/cars so i need some advice.

I want shocks,springs,and whatever i need to make it ride like a "caddy" or close. But i want to lower it a good 4" or 5". So where should i order from and what type? should i get...if there are specific ones for old trucks or something...im clueless
Old 07-27-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 1968 re-do underneath.need help

You may want to go with an air ride kit. Because you don't have much experince I would go with the Air ride technologies kit. They have very good support and you won't have to piece together a kit. I would also ask them about the drop for the rear. Some 2.5" drop spindle for the front.

Early classics also has some good kits. They also have a section which shows what the kit looks like on your truck when installed. http://www.earlyclassic.com/Tech.asp...=Stance+Photos

Some may reccomend ***************** for the parts but you would have to piece together and weldup a lot of parts to get it to work. I don't find them that much cheaper after shipping is added in.

what you want is not cheap.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
68stepside4life

Thanks man, that helped me get in the right direction. I think the 4/6 drop looks the best and i would love to get that. But wow..like you said it will cost some moula!$$$$

However. what are the advantages of an AIR RIDE KIT to regular suspension?

they seem to be about the same price. Also, any certain brands i should either leans towards or stay away from?

also, Am i correct in thinkine the AIR RIDE KITS will allow me to adjust the height on the fly...like a lowrider type thing. And how low can air ride kits go?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr
You may want to go with an air ride kit. Because you don't have much experince I would go with the Air ride technologies kit. They have very good support and you won't have to piece together a kit. I would also ask them about the drop for the rear. Some 2.5" drop spindle for the front.

Early classics also has some good kits. They also have a section which shows what the kit looks like on your truck when installed. http://www.earlyclassic.com/Tech.asp...=Stance+Photos

Some may reccomend ***************** for the parts but you would have to piece together and weldup a lot of parts to get it to work. I don't find them that much cheaper after shipping is added in.

what you want is not cheap.
The only thing he'll have to weld in with the kit from S.D. is the lower cups to the a-arms. That's it. And they offer a build-your-own kit on the website and it is very easy to do. The only thing you'll have to figure out is what fittings you'll need. I spent roughly $900- including shipping. The only thing I had to get extra were my fittings. I bought good brass fittings (DOT rated) from a local supply house and all of them cost about $160.

If you're not concerned with going to the ground, add in a c-notch ($100), super track bar, shocks, shock relocators, and you're set. I think that's everything.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:08 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68stepside4life
However. what are the advantages of an AIR RIDE KIT to regular suspension?
they seem to be about the same price. Also, any certain brands i should either leans towards or stay away from?
also, Am i correct in thinkine the AIR RIDE KITS will allow me to adjust the height on the fly...like a lowrider type thing. And how low can air ride kits go?
The advantages are much better ride, adjustable height on the fly.

The bad is you have to drain the water out of the fill tanks periodically and there are more parts to have a potential problem.

I happen to like Air Rid Technologies kits. They are a little more but like I said they have very good support if you run into something that doesn't work right and their kits fit.

Two words of advice number 1. with any kit you get is that you check the parts list first to make sure all the parts are there prior to ripping down your ride.
The second is don't shop by price alone. This is one area that you really do get what you pay for.
Call them up before you buy and if they don't or can't answer your questions before the sale they won't after. I guess thats three word of advice.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:52 AM   #6
camaro__thunder
Epoxy Primer Friendly

"The only thing he'll have to weld in with the kit from S.D. is the lower cups to the a-arms."

This isnt true. You dont have to weld anything in the SD kit for the front.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Fleet
The only thing he'll have to weld in with the kit from S.D. is the lower cups to the a-arms.
You don't weld them in. You just bolt them to the bag and they sit in the spring cup on the LCA.

Edit: Oops... Note to self: Read whole thread before replying. camaro__thunder already got this one.

Last edited by XXL; 07-28-2006 at 11:25 AM.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

oh really? Sweet!! Even less work for me to do tomorrow!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:06 PM   #9
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Does the rear on this year have trailing arms or leaf?
Old 07-28-2006, 09:59 PM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr
Does the rear on this year have trailing arms or leaf?
Trailing arms with coil springs...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:48 AM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
Trailing arms with coil springs...
Actually, it can have either one depending on how it was optioned.

I have 1 leaf frame & 1 coil frame sitting in the driveway so it's better to look & see what's under there.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote