The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
boomer

someone with a stockfloorbodydropped 73-87

I airbagged my truck completely out last night and my frame rails are sitting 4" inches from floor to the bottom of the the frame rail. " UNDER THE CAB)This is after i ran 2by4box tubing and trimmed off the excess 2 inches or so as well.

Porter built seems to think i may be running a stock spindle which he knows his trucks so ill have to figure that out. With a 3 inch drop spindle should i be down alot further than i am???

If judging by the distance i have of 4 inches to get the frame rail down id have to z the frame 4 inches to lay it out.That wouldnt make sense when im running a diameter of 26 on my tires. I wanted to go with a 2 or 2.5 inch z.

They guy that installed the airride kit said there were drop spindles but i question this. The truck was lowered before i airbagged it. They guy who owned it before me said he had belltech spindles and coils???????

Im tryin to get ahold of the guy who bagged it to see if hes certain. How else can one tell if it is a stock chevy spindle or a drop spindle.

Im confused if my frame rails should be sitting lower than they are. Im runnin slams all around with no cups, just plate on the top and they are squished right out.

Anyone remeber on there 73 to 87 chevies what there schematics were when aired out with just the box tubing in and no z.
boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
boomer

Re: someone with a stockfloorbodydropped 73-87

I suppose the only way to figure this whole thing out is put my cab back onto the frame aired out and see how much more further i gotta go. Ill tack the cab mounts back into place and make sure there level with a tropedo and see whats next. I cant see any other way to do it.
boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:31 AM   #3
dragit

You should inspect your drop spindles to see if there stock or not, if they are they may have GM incorperated in the cast. if they are aftermarket most likley they will have the company's name in the cast. my McGoughys do. Either way it seems like you will need a lower spindle you will definantly need at least 2" spindles, and a 3" Z if you are attempting to lay body.I did a 3" spindle with a 3 1/2" Z and 1 3/8" droppedmember and that put me down in the dirt perfectly, I will be able to run a 28" tire no problem.
(it's actually not bad)

Last edited by dragit; 01-12-2007 at 02:41 AM.
dragit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
pharcyde05

i just looked at a set of spindels that i have laying hear at the shop and they sare stamped belltech on the inner side just below the shaft you should be able to see it very clear
pharcyde05 is offline   Reply With Quote