The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
Olden Days
Living In The Past

what front suspention?

This truck belongs to a very good friend of mine and we are getting ready to start doing some work on it so he can use it again. I know there are all kinds of front suspentions out there but our problem is he wants it to remain as close as possible to stock ride higth. So far unless I am missing someting all those aftermarket kits will lower the front. I am almost to point where I will make the front clip myself and narrow a 71 chevy xmember to fit it. I would rather not do that though. any help is appreaciated,, thanks...
Attached Images

Olden Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
pgf545

Re: what front suspention?

I know that are several people in here doing front ends on the 47-54 trucks. I am doing my dad's and we used a Heidts MII. I already have the crossmember and a-arms on right now, but don't have it sitting on the ground yet. I do have a mockup picture on my build thread if you want to take a look at it. I didn't use the dropped spindles so it is pretty close to the ride height that we are going to run. You might be able to use a camaro subframe or a S-10 frame and make adjustments to get where you want to be. We had a 76ish crossmember in ours before this Heidts but it was too wide and looked funny, but if you narrow it you might be in the right ball park. Good luck.

Is that in Merced? I was there a couple of years ago boat racing.

Bernie
Old 01-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
caino59

i'd say go with the s10 frame...

then you have all kind of ride height options.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
Olden Days
Living In The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf545 View Post
I know that are several people in here doing front ends on the 47-54 trucks. I am doing my dad's and we used a Heidts MII. I already have the crossmember and a-arms on right now, but don't have it sitting on the ground yet. I do have a mockup picture on my build thread if you want to take a look at it. I didn't use the dropped spindles so it is pretty close to the ride height that we are going to run. You might be able to use a camaro subframe or a S-10 frame and make adjustments to get where you want to be. We had a 76ish crossmember in ours before this Heidts but it was too wide and looked funny, but if you narrow it you might be in the right ball park. Good luck.

Is that in Merced? I was there a couple of years ago boat racing.

Bernie
yes its in Merced. They have boat races sometimes out at lake yosemite just out town a little ways. but they have some big time boat drags down the road aways at Buchanan or Berenda reservoir. Maybe thats where you were?
We have already looked at s 10 stuff and believe it to be too narrow and too wimpy. We have looked at camaro clip as well and that will drop it too much. He still wants to use this like a truck. That is why we are looking at making a clip. I was really hoping one of these aftermarket guys would make something to bolt or weld in to save me some work and time. If it were mine I would'nt hesitate at all to drop it but since its not I dont get a vote.
I appreaciate the input though guys. I still need to find your build thread and have a gander at it

Last edited by Olden Days; 01-04-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
pgf545

Yeah we ran at Yosemite lake, I think that they don't race there anymore but run at Chowchilla?

Check out my signature for my build thread...not much going on right now but should be getting after it again soon and when I do I will post more pictures. If you see anything that I might be able to help with let me know, also I have additional pictures of various things if you need something else.

Bernie
Old 01-04-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
Olden Days
Living In The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf545 View Post
Yeah we ran at Yosemite lake, I think that they don't race there anymore but run at Chowchilla?

Bernie
Ya I think I remember hearing about boat races here local a couple years ago. They have been racing out of Chowchilla for along time. That is what I was refering to when I said Buchanan reservoir but I should have said Berenda res out of Chowchilla. Those 2 reservoirs are pretty close to each other and I get them mixed up all the time.

Last edited by Olden Days; 01-04-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:55 PM   #7
caino59

im not 100% sure, but i think the s-10 frame is about the right width...and probably stronger than the stock frame too

the camaro/nova clips are a lil wider than need be...

does he just want IFS or ?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
71'tahoe

Long bed standard cab frame for an s-10 work great the front cab mounts on both of them are pretty close.The rear ones aare close also.I have a freind that did several of these.He used the steering and fuel injection from a 4.3 s-10 and switch computer chips with a full size the the engine and tranny came out of and got like 18mpg.the engine was a 350.I think the f.s. was a 91'model. hope this helps.Oh i think one of the classic trucks mags did a story on the chevrolet divison in michagan doing a swap with and s-10 frame and the fuel injection a few years ago.not sure when it was.maybe some one else can help out.
71'tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:13 PM   #9
solidaxel

Contact Steve at Industrial Chassis 602.278.6800.
He makes a truck crossmember for our trucks and they use truck suspension parts, with rack and pinion and disc brakes. All the donor parts come from a Dodge Dakota 86 to 90 (cheap)
Attached Images

53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote