The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #1
Rokcrln

Short bed Tow rig ?'s

I am picking up a 70 1/2ton Long bed truck this weekend that is going to be my new tow rig/shop truck. It will be getting shortened to a SWB as well. I know a long bed would tow better but it just aint going to happen. So this truck is a leaf spring truck that I think will handle towing better than a coil (load wise) but my question is what is the best route for lowering this and still keeping it for towing? I know some people do a flip kit, c-notch, de-arch, pull leafs and many other ways. I do not want this truck in the weeds but I do want it to have a nice look and be obvious it has been lowered. I am thinking about a 5/6 static drop will do just fine for my needs on this one. What about fliping the leaf hanger side to side so instead of holding the spring below the hangers it would now be above? Any thoughts? Then for the front I will just go with drop spindles and springs and it is already a 5 lug disk.

Lets see what we can all come up with for a SWB tow rig and for as little $ as posible. Not because I have too but I think it will be fun to try and keep this one as cheap as posible. I will be doing a full build thread with all reciepts included to see what we come up with.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Kevin
LFD inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
jimmydean

Re: Short bed Tow rig ?'s

I would think that if you did the standard leaf drop items, then add a "helper bag" setup, that would be cost affective as well as straight forward.

<edit> I have never lowered a leaf truck, so I don't know all the options.

Last edited by jimmydean; 01-10-2007 at 10:51 PM.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:54 PM   #3
kyle4381

Put on some shackles and hangers to lower it down and a helper bag kit for your towing needs.
kyle4381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:55 PM   #4
kyle4381

JimmyDean is a faster typer.
kyle4381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:15 PM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

For Cheap,... I vote for a flip kit. Maybe fab your own flip bracket, and c-notch. The rear will set LOW,... but that would allow for a tall tire. ECE stuff for the front. Spindles, springs, dropped sway bar brackets, and a big ole 3/4 ton sway bar ('73-'87 pick and pull cheapie) Sport rear bumper with a hidden hitch and some add on air bags for towing.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:11 AM   #6
Rokcrln

Well so far it all sounds good and along the lines of what I had in mind. I do plan on using a regular fleet rear bumper and I will build a hidden hitch for it as well. I will hit the pick n pull for a lic plt filp thingy and sway bar. I also have (curently in my PSD) a set of helper bags, my old ART tank, compressor, valve and misc that will come out before I sell it.

Now as far as a flip kit or just raising mounts and longer shackeles are their any benifits to one way or the other. I can fab up any item that I may need but I have never delt with a 2wd leaf vehical before. I do plan on doing a beefed up C-notch so it will ride well when lowered and still keep the strength of the frame for towing. I guess I need to look around and see just how low I want to go with this because I have no clue what a 5/6 drop even looks like. I figure mine is a bout a 12/14 drop if not more so it is hard to picture just 5 or 6" Now if anyone has some drop spindles for a 5lug they want to sell or trade let me know

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Well so far it all sounds good and along the lines of what I had in mind. I do plan on using a regular fleet rear bumper and I will build a hidden hitch for it as well. I will hit the pick n pull for a lic plt filp thingy and sway bar. I also have (curently in my PSD) a set of helper bags, my old ART tank, compressor, valve and misc that will come out before I sell it.

Now as far as a flip kit or just raising mounts and longer shackeles are their any benifits to one way or the other. I can fab up any item that I may need but I have never delt with a 2wd leaf vehical before. I do plan on doing a beefed up C-notch so it will ride well when lowered and still keep the strength of the frame for towing. I guess I need to look around and see just how low I want to go with this because I have no clue what a 5/6 drop even looks like. I figure mine is a bout a 12/14 drop if not more so it is hard to picture just 5 or 6" Now if anyone has some drop spindles for a 5lug they want to sell or trade let me know

Kevin
LFD Inc.
ART doesn't recommend using the air-over leaf set-ups w/shackles/hangers because this method of drop reduces the distance required for the air-spring. By using the flip kit, it maintains the placement of the leafs vs. the frame. The drop of course comes solely from moving the rear housing from below the springs to above.

Of course.... if you're fabbing your own brackets, who needs recommendations?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:10 AM   #8
jimmydean

Here's LMC's page showing various static drops. I think it's somewhat realistic.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:13 AM   #9
Rokcrln

Thanks for the input I think I will be gouing 4/5 4/6 drop depending what I can do for the rear end once the truck shows up this weekend. ECE has their drop spindles for about $230 for 2.5" and then a set of 2" springs and the front should be set. The rear I should have everything here to do what ever I decide on so no $ spent on that

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #10
jimmydean

I think a 4/6 with helpers would be perfect. Isn't that about what Scoti is rolling on his '68? I know the back of his is pure bag, but at tow height, it looks about 4/6.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:05 PM   #11
SCOTI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean
I think a 4/6 with helpers would be perfect. Isn't that about what Scoti is rolling on his '68? I know the back of his is pure bag, but at tow height, it looks about 4/6.
Mine is a little more than 4/6 but still can tow a load. I would suggest a flip kit in back w/a smaller air 'helper' bag for when it gets loaded w/all those swap meet goodies. A c-notch would be wise but not mandatory on every vehicle (I would use one).

Up front.... 2.5 or 3" dropped spindles & trim 1 coil off the stock springs. Get a later model (or aftermarket) sway-bar w/some urethane bushings to help tighten things up.

That should be roughly a 4/6 drop & wouldn't be too low to still use as a truck.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-11-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #12
72MARIO

I would just get a 73 up flip kit they are cheeper than your time fabbing it your self and the pinion angle is set for you.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #13
Rokcrln

Now people keep mentioning flip "kits". Aren't you just setting the axle over the springs? What all is their in this kit, new spring perches and U bolt hardware? Or am I thinking of somthing different. I have done alot of spring overs on toyota 4x4 and I assume this is just the reverse of that right?

SCOTI "Of course.... if you're fabbing your own brackets, who needs recommendations?"
This is what I asked for remember! I do know alot about suspention and fabricating but the best thing I know is that I don't know it all!

With front Drop spindles ECE only offers 2.5" and the ones I bought from Bell Tech are 3", is their any differance in quality or design other than 1/2". The price sure has come down form last time I bought a set. Also would their be any advantage to buying a lowered set of coils vs. cutting off a coil? Change in spring rate or anything? I know I said I want to do this as cheap as posible but I also only want to do it one time

Thanks for all the input.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #14
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Now people keep mentioning flip "kits". Aren't you just setting the axle over the springs? What all is their in this kit, new spring perches and U bolt hardware? Or am I thinking of somthing different. I have done alot of spring overs on toyota 4x4 and I assume this is just the reverse of that right?

SCOTI "Of course.... if you're fabbing your own brackets, who needs recommendations?"
This is what I asked for remember! I do know alot about suspention and fabricating but the best thing I know is that I don't know it all!

With front Drop spindles ECE only offers 2.5" and the ones I bought from Bell Tech are 3", is their any differance in quality or design other than 1/2". The price sure has come down form last time I bought a set. Also would their be any advantage to buying a lowered set of coils vs. cutting off a coil? Change in spring rate or anything? I know I said I want to do this as cheap as posible but I also only want to do it one time

Thanks for all the input.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
With a flip kit, there are new 'saddles' included that wrap around the axle resting against the old weld on saddles. They also have the locating pin hole set back to correct for the change in driveshaft angle, keeping it from bottoming out in the tranny. New U-bolts are usually included.

You will not find one for a 67-72, you will have to modify a 73-87 set by trimming a little on the 'saddle' to make them fit tight to the axle. Unless you want to put it back easily later, just weld on new saddles yourself. I 'think' you can handle it.

Jimmydean hit the nail on the head with the Belltech spindles. I don't think they are a true 3". I know they are a little more drop than a 2.5" 'cause a buddy of mine has some and ran into clearance problems with the brake caliper with a 15" wheel. I have 2.5" spindles and 15" wheels with no problems. If you're running rallies, you will want the 7" wide van wheels in the front to clear the lower a-arm.

Cutting the front spring is a viable option, but the springs are probably as old as the truck and just as worn out. If you do choose to cut the front springs, take only one coil and cut it at the same angle as the stock cut so it will sit in the pocket correctly. If you use a torch, put it in a 5gal bucket with some water in it to keep it cool. A cut-off wheel will work fine, but it's slow goin'.

Front springs are cheap enough that you shouldn't have to worry about it though. 3" springs puts you at just about the limit of camber adjustment with the stock studs in place.

I would personally do 2.5" spindles and a 3" spring. Flip it in the back, and if it's not low enough, blocks, or move the front perches up on the frame a bit. You will need to c-notch and do some thing about shock angle in the rear.

Think I got everything in there -Chris

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:37 AM   #15
SCOTI

Kevin.... I've seen your fab skills in some of the pics you've posted so that's what my comment meant. You're good!

A flip kit is just like you described from the 'spring-over' installs you've seen/done before only your flipping the rear from under the leafs to on top. The 73-87 style 'axle-flip' bracket requires trimming (different width leafs/ 2.25"w vs. 2.5"w). That kit would work but you could prob study the mounting design on the leaf rear-end & fabricate something that would work better than a kit would ( or like gringoloco mentioned, make & weld on your own saddles).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-12-2007, 12:51 AM   #16
Rokcrln

SCOTI what is your set up on the 68? That is about the look I am going for.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #17
jimmydean

If I recall, the Belltech spindles claim to be 3", but aren't a full 3". Depending on what wheel you run, the Belltech might rub. If the Belltech are cheaper, I would go that route, but I have heard only good things about the ECE spindles.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:35 AM   #18
Rokcrln

Thanks for all your susgetions! I will be adding this to the build in this link. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223158

Thanks again,
Kevin
LFD Inc.