The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
rickf

what is correct orientation for this radiator bracket ?

What I am doing is converting form a small 18x18 core radiator that came with 230L6 to the larger 17x25 radiator that came with 283. I am using all factory original mounting brackets from a donor truck, a 1965 C20.

The bracket this question is about is the lower bracket that holds the radiator. You know the one, sheet metal stamped with a channel to keep rubber pad in place, whole thing bent in a U.

I was laying under the 65 when these came off. I ground off the rivet heads then punched them through.

I did not realize until they were laying on the ground tha they are not symmetrical. One of the vertical legs is taller than the other.

Usually there is some practical reason for such things, and one can figure out the details by just thinking it through. But in this case, I have a practical reason for either way it could go.
(a) tall side on rear, as this is the side that will take most of the force at higher speeds, so makes sense to have more spread out support, or
(b) low side toward the rear, this will make it easiest to get radiator in and out.

Certainly, this simple little part is going to work fine either way. But it would be nice to get it on how the factory would have done it.

It could even be that they are just sloppy stampings and the factor might have mounted them either way.

Anybody know off hand, or can take a look at yours and let me know?

The attached pic (if it worked) shows the bracket. This is the pic I sent to the folks who sent me the wrong rubber pad. You can see the bracket I am talking about, but this angle does not show the difference I am talking about very well. The leg of the left/upper of the pic is about 3/8" to 1/2" longer than the leg on lower/right.

-rcf
Attached Images

rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
19GMC63

Re: what is correct orientation for this radiator bracket ?

judging from looking at mine, the short end faces the motor, so option b.
19GMC63 is offline   Reply With Quote