The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
prg machine

Vent the heat!!

Since you all here seem to be mechanicaly inclined and do a lot of your own work, I think you can relate to my little rant earlier this morning
Goes like so. :::: A blowhard know it all braggin fool here at work decided he wanted a Hot Rod about a year or so ago,,,, Got a kit T-bucket bolt together everything, had a motor built and a tranny and a rear end and sent it to the paint shop, the electric shop, the upholstery shop, the stereo shop etc. etc. etc. etc. All over town and barely lifted a wrench, or his fat A** off the couch.
Now I get to here back from other co-works here WOW ya otta see it!!! That cars gonna win some trophy6s!! He sure did a good job on buildin that T!!! ETC> ETC>
It seems the guy is kinda leading folk on to believe he did it himself.... Makes me ill to hear it!!!!

SO:::::: I spoke up:" Ya mean all of the people he PAYED to put it together did a good job!"
I'm probly ota line but at least I got to say it...

Anyone else experience these cases????
prg machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
Hart_Rod

Re: Vent the heat!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prg machine View Post
Since you all here seem to be mechanicaly inclined and do a lot of your own work, I think you can relate to my little rant earlier this morning
Goes like so. :::: A blowhard know it all braggin fool here at work decided he wanted a Hot Rod about a year or so ago,,,, Got a kit T-bucket bolt together everything, had a motor built and a tranny and a rear end and sent it to the paint shop, the electric shop, the upholstery shop, the stereo shop etc. etc. etc. etc. All over town and barely lifted a wrench, or his fat A** off the couch.
Now I get to here back from other co-works here WOW ya otta see it!!! That cars gonna win some trophy6s!! He sure did a good job on buildin that T!!! ETC> ETC>
It seems the guy is kinda leading folk on to believe he did it himself.... Makes me ill to hear it!!!!

SO:::::: I spoke up:" Ya mean all of the people he PAYED to put it together did a good job!"
I'm probly ota line but at least I got to say it...

Anyone else experience these cases????

Everyone will figure it out if he ever breaks down beside the road and has no clue how to fix the problem.
Hart_Rod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Some people don't have the ability to build one.Sounds like he did the best thing anyway.If he built it it might be more of a road hazard than a rod.
If I had a water cooled checkbook I would have a driveline built for a truck I have my eye on.Mostly because I know squat about diesels but think this particular truck would need one to be "RIGHT".
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
byrd
Union Electrician

I would not be upset the he built it with his wallet, jealous maybe but that's life. There are a lot more cool stuff I would do to my truck given a bigger bank account. Are you sure he is telling your peeps at work this or are they assuming he built it himself?
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

If I had the $ Foose would be doing my ride, but at the same time
I would never claim I did it. (Why I still have GQ, too damn honest)
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I gotta say that I will never be able to say "I built it". I will be able to tell 'em who did the paint and body work, etc. I do think that I will be able to say, "I had 'em to do (so and so)...., which will mean that it was my ideas that lead to the creation of whatever it becomes when it is finished.

I would love to have a T-bucket. Have wanted one since my cousin bought a roller T Roadster pickup, in the early '60's. All steel, nice frame, shortened bed....all just waiting for a driveline (engine/transmission). Even had dirt track tires on the rear, sized big x huge. He sold it for $500....in '63. Nowadays, you can't buy much at all for one for $500. You might be able to find a project for $5K, but what I have found has been kickin' $10K in the butt and not gettin' much back.....just for the kit.

If a checkbook can get you a ride that you are proud of, fine. If you (in the process) are inclined to say, "I built it", then shame on you. Like someone else said, wait until it breaks on the side of the road.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
'68 longbed

I think I speak for alot of us when I say most of our rides should have a list of credits on the bumper.

my buddy bob helped me figure out the brakes
my neighbor fred saved me from doing somthing stupid with the tranny.
my cousin bill had a great front bumper .
etc. etc.
'68 longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:13 PM   #8
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Ace did the hood;
Skeeter did the seat;
Eddie did the engine
etc.

yeah, good idea

Old 07-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

I love it when people do that kind of stuff.

Makes me want to kill em too, dont worry bout it.

I do all the work on my cars, unless i need something machined, then i go to a long time family friend.

So when people claim they did it, but i know they didnt do it, it makes me look down upon them, especially when they compare their daddys 66 stang to my camaro, just because tehy have "fresh paint" and 18 inch wheels, they aint got nothing on the car that 91 octane built.

Some people cant do anything about making their ride, but they shouldnt claim they did it themselves. They may have co-ordinated it all, but they should say they had it built to their specs.

So, its hands in the air what you should feel, its different when you build your own, rather than buy it, because you pour your love, sweat, and a few hundred in cold ones while builidng it, not to mention the new "air holes" in the grarge wall when the paint didnt set right.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #10
krue
Designated A-hole!

Would cover the tailgate.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #11
prg machine

Walts, Buddy Ya hit the nail on the head.
I guess knowing the blowhard that I am speeking of here would tell it all. No I am not " jealous" of someone so self centered and stupid to run around leading people on, stretching the story so to speak, to make it sound like they did it themselves, as this guy has.
I a[pologize. you guys don't know him., so you maybe can't get a feel for it.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I built mine in a driveway I bought and installed a rebuild motor and transmission. Only time my truck has ever seen a shop was to have the A/C evacuated and charged (I could have charged it, but I provided the R-134 and they did it for free!)

I don't get jealous of other rides. I have fun with mine. *IF* I had the $$$ I'm with Luv... I'd have someone like Foose build me my dream truck (and car... 69 firebird ragtop!) and then I'd have the piece of crap I tried to build hidden in the back for the days I feel like tinkering with something
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 07-09-2007 at 02:40 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #13
prg machine

I have a 61 Willys Jeep that I have handled/repaired/replaced/cussed/discussed/installed/dissassembled/etc. every part of the beast. I have had it for almost 40 years. I will never part with it at any price. Same goes for theChevy that I am building.
They're mine for the simple reason that I built/am building them. There is a special feeling that comes with that that can't be understood until you travel that path.The Willys took 7 years to get back on the road on one re-do, that's a long path to take and a lot of people will say"S*** you coulda just went out and gotcha a new one for all of what yere goin thru!"
Or if down the road you happen to say" when I was building my Jeep (or whatever) .............. " Someone chimes in with: " What do you mean YOU "built" it????

Some don';t get it!
Old 07-10-2007, 01:30 AM   #14
wibilly

i do all my own work. sure there are guys i could pay that could do a much better job, but to me it's more about what i learn and the skills i build along the way. i'm never happy with any thing because i belive i can do better but i couldn't if i didn't learn from the last time. i would rather not go to work and work on my truck than to go to work so i could pay somone else to do somthing i would not be happy with anyway. much of my truck i'm redoing before it is even done because what was good enough when i started is not good enough now because of the knowlage and skills i have gained by doing it my self.i guess there is nothing wrong with paying someone else to build your ride but if you do at least be honest and say i had so and so do this or that
Old 07-10-2007, 03:16 AM   #15
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

I would love to say that I've done all the work myself.The truth is that I have no clue and no patience when it comes to bodywork.I thought about the amount I'm investing in other areas of the project and decided I needed a pro to make the rest worth it.The deal I have with my bodyman is that I do all the modifications (the bed is extensive) and he'll make it look good .So there's that,the upholstery,and the machine work I needed done.The rest is me and my dad.
I understand what you're saying and I've known guys that do the same thing which is prolly why I choose to tell the truth and give credit where it's due.I couldn't stand myself if I was like that.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:42 AM   #16
GREASEMONKEY72

i hate guys like that to, ive done everything to my truck myself, with the exeption of haveing the tranny rebuilt by a shop but other than that everything so far as been done by me and its gona stay that way

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:44 AM   #17
prg machine

Sounds like we all haave experiences that are similar and we are prideful of our trucks however we build them. The guy who I am refering has a clone buddy that is just like him cept he purchased his show coupe from a poor soul hard up and had to sell. This is a real sad one. He calls it "Bad News" .....It fits the clowns personality. Bad news to see him coming.!!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:09 AM   #18
SCOTI

There's room enough for both in the hobby. Nothing wrong w/not having the '__________' (enter your choice: space, tools, knowledge, time) to build your own. It's still yours when it's all said & done. If someone has the $$ to build a killer ride w/the stroke of the pen..... more power to them.

If I want a complete vehicle built, it's going to be done by me (I'm the only labor I can afford). But.... I know I will have things 'farmed' out from time to time depending on other restraints. I can, but don't build my own engines (I would prefer leaving that to the guys that do it for a living & know all the tricks). I can, but don't do all my own paint/bodywork (driveways aren't the best environment for a quality job). You get the idea . . .....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:29 AM   #19
bobthecop

I think the real satisfaction for me comes in doing all I can myself. I know it may look better if I had it done, but my budget will not allow it. I tend to bite off more than I can chew, but that what this site is for. When I was in college, a friend built his own car, and another friend had his bucket T built. No one gave him much thought but the guy who built his oun had lots of bragging rights. I just enjoy doing the work myself, the headaches and frustrations included.
1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #20
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I am a victim of my own incompetence, and lack of funds. My dad died in Feb., and his estate comes out of probate in September. At that time, I have an appointment with the guy who is going to do the paint and bodywork on my truck. My cousin is going to put a new crate motor in it. Somebody else is going to do the seat. I will give them all credit, where credit is due.

Somebody's got to do it. Lord knows I can't. Yeah, I'll have to ante up the bucks, but after almost 8 years, it's time.

Hot Rod Power Tour starts in Little Rock, next year. I intend to make the first leg of the tour in my truck. I would make the trip right now, but I want to be able to hold my head high enough to see out of the windshield.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 07-10-2007 at 10:00 AM. Reason: CRS
Old 07-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #21
Billla
Account Suspended

I understand being hacked - especially after the long nights and weekends we put into our own rides and the stuff we can't get done because of time or finances. It's always hard for me to see stuff that's "done" and realize how far I am from that point and how much time and money it'll take to get there doing it myself.

OTOH, I pay for stuff I don't know how to do. If someone says "wow, that's a smooth shifting transmission" I don't tell them "Yeah, it was done by AAMCO in 1996" If I take a car in for a dyno tune, I still take the kudos for a fine running engine. Have you actually HEARD him taking credit, or are you just hearing assumptions people make? I have quietly asked people before how much of the work they did themselves and although I may have been lied to here and there for the most part people will be pretty direct about how much - or how little - work they did. If it's a nice beast they likely have as much pride in being the "project manager" and the "CFO" as you do in your ride.

To each cat their own rat.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #22
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68 longbed View Post
I think I speak for alot of us when I say most of our rides should have a list of credits on the bumper.

Amen, Brother.

When I park my airplane at airshows, I have a board with all the contributors - and I have a Contributors link at the bottom of my L-17.ORG page.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #23
prg machine

I am like you Bobthe Cop
Old 07-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #24
prg machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billla View Post
I understand being hacked - especially after the long nights and weekends we put into our own rides and the stuff we can't get done because of time or finances. It's always hard for me to see stuff that's "done" and realize how far I am from that point and how much time and money it'll take to get there doing it myself.

OTOH, I pay for stuff I don't know how to do. If someone says "wow, that's a smooth shifting transmission" I don't tell them "Yeah, it was done by AAMCO in 1996" If I take a car in for a dyno tune, I still take the kudos for a fine running engine. Have you actually HEARD him taking credit, or are you just hearing assumptions people make? I have quietly asked people before how much of the work they did themselves and although I may have been lied to here and there for the most part people will be pretty direct about how much - or how little - work they did. If it's a nice beast they likely have as much pride in being the "project manager" and the "CFO" as you do in your ride.

To each cat their own rat.
Yea . I have seen and heard the bloke say how the hot rod project was realy taking it out of him and that was his main spare time thing was getting all of the mechanical/electrical/paint done.

I asked him , when he said the 350 will be putting out 400 horses, what he had in it and he said: "S*** , I put everything in it!"
Built a 9 incher rear for it too!!
Old 07-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #25
grayw0lf

My old truck may not be the prettiest thing in the world, but its all mine. The only thing I didn't do myself of the front end alignment.

Any idiot can write a check. It takes dedication & perseverence to do it yourself.

If I had a bottomless budget, sure I'd do it different. I'd have a 572 & more new sheetmetal. But I'd still do it all myself.

Just my $0.02.
05' Dodge Neon
88' Winner Escape Sport 1750 - 4.3v6
94' Seadoo SP
84' Honda TRX200, bare nekkid. Just a frame & tires.

Always looking for another project or any good deal!

grayw0lf is offline   Reply With Quote