The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
hewlett2002000

i need a little engine help please??

well my 350 has been sitting in the shop on a stand for 3 months now and i have to have something to drive so im gonna have to put my truck back together. i got mad (wont happen again) one day when my truck wouldent stay running and it had to be moved so it finally started and i floored it and put it in reverse and let off the clutch and parked it and shut it off. well the next day it was running like the timing was off, so i tried to set it and it still wouldent run right. i went over everything then just said screw it and pulled the engine with intentions of a rebuild. well im low on cash and need something to drive. what did i do? my guess was the timing chain skipped. this sound good? im gonna pull the balancer and the timing cover and see, but if thats the case my intentions are a new cam, lifters, and timing chain and gears. everything else should be fine right? i took the oil pan and heads off and inspected everything and it looks ok. anything i should check while its on the stand? sorry for such the long post.
thanks,
John
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
hewlett2002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
04Xrider
Registered thread killer

Re: i need a little engine help please??

If it was mine, I would go ahead and pull it down, deglaze the cylinders, put in a new set of rings, and rod and main bearings, and a fresh set of valve seals. The valve seals usually come with a complete gasket set.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:59 AM   #3
Chevy Fleetside

I think if you are low on cash, you should just check the timing chain and replace it if it is streched, and run it untill you are ready to do the whole engine. Although, If you have an issue with the cam (like maybe a flat lobe) that can be doing it also. If you have the intake off then it is easy to put a new cam in or take that one out and inspect it. When I got my truck it had a flat lobe on the cam. It ran but sounded terrible.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
04Xrider
Registered thread killer

You can buy a complete rebuild kit from northern auto parts for $169.99. Pistons, rings, timming set, cam & lifters, oil pump, soft plugs, Rod & Main bearings, Cam bearings, and Gaskets, all quality parts. http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...?ProductId=148

Last edited by 04Xrider; 01-01-2008 at 01:59 PM.
04Xrider is offline   Reply With Quote