The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
Barben

Old Car Emissions Exemption Threatened in 8 California Counties

And I thought aligning body panels was the last worry on my 71 K10, stripped of all emission controls, except for flat top pistons:

Hearing Scheduled for April 1

Legislation (S.B. 1549) has been introduced in the California State Senate by Senator Dean Florez (senator.florez@sen.ca.gov) to repeal the state’s current emissions test exemption for pre-1976 vehicles registered by new owners in the San Joaquin Valley Unified Air Pollution Control District. The District includes eight counties in California’s Central Valley: San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Merced, Madera, Fresno, Kings, Tulare and the valley portion of Kern. Under the bill, after Jan. 1, 2009, new owners seeking to register a pre-1976 vehicle in these eight counties would be subject to emissions tests for the life of the vehicle. S.B. 1549 is scheduled to be considered by the California Senate Transportation and Housing Committee on April 1, 2008.

This is from Classic Industries' home page. Look for the Urgent News link for addresses of committee members, etc.
Barben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
Mister laugh

Re: Old Car Emissions Exemption Threatened in 8 California Counties

Can they legally do that? I mean there had to be lots of people that would screw over.
Mister laugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
Barben

The exemption initially applied to all cars 30 years and older. Then Arny froze the 30 year window in 2006. Now they (whom are really 'us'), want to tighten the screws again. The downside is the cars would not be transferable within CA unless the evap canister, tranny spark control harness, relays, etc., fuel shutoff solenoid, heat stove and associated air inlet controls and the ever popular AIR pump and injection plumbing are reinstalled and working. Can't even buy most of that (ugly) stuff anymore.
Barben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
72armyswbtruck

Well You live in Cali.
Hate the place for all the rules,
I mean why do you have to get your plates in the mail??
Too Many regulations,
Good luck with the cause
Old 03-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

you have some Cali board members who say it ain't gonna happen... this just came up last week...
I say it should be no surprise, it's been in the works for 3 years or so.
And this is where what I frequently say comes into play. (And I am guilty of this also) Even if smog laws are not enforced in your area, that doesn't mean you can rip all that stuff off... you are still required by federal law to not tamper with it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:01 AM   #6
68caliRat
Need a bigger hammer..

I know at one time I was going to have to take my GMC off the road because of smog laws. When Gov. Wilson was in office, my truck was threatened, then Gov. Davis repealed the new laws, Arnold hasn't really done much for us. I would hate to think if I buy a truck in the future it would have to pass emissions when it was previously exempt.

BTW, I was gonna have to park it for C-O readings, not because of equipment. My truck has been the same since my family bought it in the 70's, I wouldn't even know where to begin to buy so-called "smog equipment" or find out what came on it differently. Right now it has headers, and a PCV, and that's it. No pump, not heat stove, nothing...
Old 03-27-2008, 04:19 AM   #7
Sinister
Between Trucks...

That sucks. I just e-mailed Dean Florez and told him so.

"Dear Senator Dean Florez, Legislation (S.B. 1549) is a bad law. There are many people in the State of California who drive/restore older, (if not antique), vehicles.
Some of us are out here preserving automotive history. This legislation is like a slap in the face. Please rethink your efforts."
Old 03-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
tsetsaf

What a joke... If the guy really wants to clean up the air in San Joaquin (some of the worst in the nation by the way) he should look into the crop dusting/ insecticide spraying practices and methane producing cows.

Unless AAA of California stands against this I think it will end up passing. Doesn't preclude new buyers from setting up PMB in other counties and registering their vehicles there though.

Let's be real on the topic... The smog equipment works and modern vehicles are light years ahead of our classics in terms of emissions. With gas prices where they are I can tell you that I am looking at every conceivable alternative for improving the efficiency of my truck. If this means installing a late model engine w/ appropriate smog controls then I am all for it.

At the same time I understand the idea of preserving classics in their original form. For those that are restoring for show/ museum there should be a per year mileage limit.

You have seen it though haven't you? People don't restore/ rebuild cars the way they used to. It is a dying art which means less people to care about selective laws like this.

My two cents
Old 03-27-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
68caliRat
Need a bigger hammer..

Most of this will be Mute in a few years when the oil runs out anyway.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #10
woodridge

Here is a link to SEMA's info page. It has the information for who to contact and voice your concerns.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62398

Last edited by woodridge; 03-27-2008 at 05:23 PM.
woodridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
72Levi

"Most of this will be Mute in a few years when the oil runs out anyway."

We are not going to run out of oil in a few years! I have been hearing that for 20 years!
2008 Buick Enclave AWD, Nav, & DVD, Wife LOVES it!

Last edited by 72Levi; 03-27-2008 at 05:31 PM.
72Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #12
Psycho71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barben View Post
And I thought aligning body panels was the last worry on my 71 K10, stripped of all emission controls, except for flat top pistons:

Hearing Scheduled for April 1

Legislation (S.B. 1549) has been introduced in the California State Senate by Senator Dean Florez (senator.florez@sen.ca.gov) to repeal the state’s current emissions test exemption for pre-1976 vehicles registered by new owners in the San Joaquin Valley Unified Air Pollution Control District. The District includes eight counties in California’s Central Valley: San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Merced, Madera, Fresno, Kings, Tulare and the valley portion of Kern. Under the bill, after Jan. 1, 2009, new owners seeking to register a pre-1976 vehicle in these eight counties would be subject to emissions tests for the life of the vehicle. S.B. 1549 is scheduled to be considered by the California Senate Transportation and Housing Committee on April 1, 2008.

This is from Classic Industries' home page. Look for the Urgent News link for addresses of committee members, etc.
New owners??? I'd go register the truck before the law takes effect, if it ever does. Then I'd move to Tx. LOL. Or any other state where there are as many voters in the rural areas as there are in the metro areas. It helps maintain a balance in votes when initiatives like this are brought forth.

If they (just about any state, or all of them) would deport all of the illegal aliens our emissions would drastically decrease, as would demand on gasoline (lower prices at the pumps), crime, demand on public services, prison overcrowding. And wages would go up. Sounds like everyone needs to address an issue which could really make an across the board difference. Not one that is a political feather in someone's cap. But that's just a conservative redneck's point of view.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!

Last edited by Psycho71; 03-27-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:32 PM   #13
19stepSide72
wanna be 67

I love Humboldt and Trinity counties in California !! Dont have to deal with all that stuff you city slickers have too. LOL no disrespect intended.
19stepSide72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #14
bigblockorange

Florez's green card may expire before the bill gets passed, so that means we have a few more years to drive our rods into the ground before we have to give them back so they can make them into Honda's. If I could find a car/part made in American I would buy it just so my buddy would have a job!!!!!!!!!!! 21 year vet sad not mad!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:56 PM   #15
sameyrasmea72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68caliRat View Post
Most of this will be Mute in a few years when the oil runs out anyway.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:16 AM   #16
jb4short
Damn Yankee

A lot of this was brought on by companies like Foose Customs and Boyd's....people building, effectively, brand new cars and registering them as pre-emmisions stuff
jb4short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:38 AM   #17
fastom
That's right, it's Copper!!

Quote:
Florez's green card may expire before the bill gets passed, so that means we have a few more years to drive our rods into the ground before we have to give them back so they can make them into Honda's.
I hope so!

[QUOTE][A lot of this was brought on by companies like Foose Customs and Boyd's....people building, effectively, brand new cars and registering them as pre-emmisions stuff
/QUOTE]

That can't happen in California, there are special rules for doing that.

Last edited by fastom; 03-28-2008 at 12:40 AM.
fastom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:16 AM   #18
72swb_327stroker_?
knuckle buster..

if it happens there, its only more than likely all of cali will follow the same plan. cali likes to pride itself for being very "green" whatever... im all for my children being able to live here in 50 years but whoa buddy.... the smog laws need to be enforced everywhere, not just in one specific region. this effects all of us. here in frisco you see more toyota prius's and hybrids then anything else.... besides bmws and benzes crap you can even run the carpool lane with 1 person if you got cali emissions stickers proclaiming your saving the earth with your hybrid.
i just wanna run my damn 327 open headers and all.... is that so wrong?
she deserves to breath, she has made it over 36 years and still is stronger and quicker then most of the newer trucks out there. she is a survivor! doesn't that deserve some respect?

THIS SITE ROCKS!!!

Check out my suburban on 20's with fresh paint!
Click here to support the site
Check out the Member Photo Gallery here
StreetCruizin
FAQ thread
Site vendors list (scroll down to vendors in red)
join the the smilies fight club
72swb_327stroker_? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:25 AM   #19
Mondo

I don't know how you could enforce this. If someone moves from LA to the Central VAlley do they have to sell their car? Would I have to sell my car to someone outside the valley... crazy. Adding aftermarket fuel injection probably makes these cars run cleaner than original.

If they were to do anything I say just do tailpipe emissions and cite gross polluters. That's what's important, not what type carb or air filter housing you have

Last edited by Mondo; 03-28-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:29 AM   #20
MXmaniac

Tell them to go sit outside and count how many pre-75 cars they see drive by. I bet they count one or two out of who knows how many. Pre-75 cars being driven daily makes up such a small part of the total cars on the road, I just can't imagine requiring smog equipment making a difference. Besides, smog equipment on these trucks would probably take the emissions of our trucks from bad all the way up to poor. Not gonna save the environment. California hates my hobbies, they are getting real harsh on motocross bikes too.

Just my $.02
'97 F*rd Mustang GT(4.6L, 5-speed) Daily Driver
If I only wanted two pedals I'd have bought a bicycle.

Last edited by MXmaniac; 03-28-2008 at 01:31 AM.
MXmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:54 AM   #21
dan42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72armyswbtruck View Post
Well You live in Cali.
Hate the place for all the rules,
I mean why do you have to get your plates in the mail??
Too Many regulations,
Good luck with the cause
Maybe we'll all move up there - you guys would love that, wouldn't you?
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:13 AM   #22
corn

I finally found something that I like better about living in Iowa!
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:38 AM   #23
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

The government knows most of us wont be able to comply financially, and unless you are driving a show truck, you are probably inclined to just let your classic go.

I am only a few bounties from where this is and it scares me every time it comes up.

Heck, there are times that they have said they want to smog the classic boats... geez. (sorry for the foul language...grin)
Old 03-29-2008, 07:34 AM   #24
straitnate14

I wish cali would break off and become it's own country so we dont have to worry about there crack pipe smoking laws coming to our states
Old 03-29-2008, 09:26 PM   #25
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

Ouch!