The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Purduegmc

Newbie to Audio has a question

I am working on putting together a small audio system for my truck. I currently have two 6x9 in boxes that sit on the floor in the center of the truck. I have an older JVC headunit. I am looking at adding a subwoofer to the mix. I am looking at a shallow mount 10" pioneer sub to possibly place under the passager side of the seat.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882500108

I was wondering what kind of amp you would suggest for this application? Also where would you suggest placing the sub in the truck (bench seat with gas tank still in the cab)? I am open to ideas on other subs that might work better. I also think that I will add an equalizer to it, but not sure where to go on that one. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:38 AM   #2
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: Newbie to Audio has a question

Well, if you want a small system, a single 10" sub under the seat will help.

The Pioneer you showed is great for the application, but will require tons of power to get what you want. You can run a good 500watts RMS to the sub and not worry. They are EXTREMELY inefficient subs.

It also sounds like you're probably on a tight budget, so when it comes to an amp, find the most power for your buck. Check into a Kicker, Pioneer, or Alpine amp that will put out at least 400x1 @ 2ohm. Get the pioneer sub in 2ohm as well.

Don't add an EQ, just buy a better head unit. A Pioneer DEH-P600UB would be the best choice.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.

Last edited by AceX; 07-12-2008 at 06:30 PM.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:59 AM   #3
tommyd241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purduegmc View Post
I was wondering what kind of amp you would suggest for this application? Also where would you suggest placing the sub in the truck (bench seat with gas tank still in the cab)? I am open to ideas on other subs that might work better. I also think that I will add an equalizer to it, but not sure where to go on that one. Thanks for the help.
Here is a good cheap amp for your application...

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...9HA1000&tp=115

Place that shallow mount sub under the passenger seat in a sealed enclosure, since you still have the gas tank in the cab. I don't know if an equalizer is really necessary. It depends on the capabilities of your head unit. If you have a non-fading sub-out where you can control the level out for the sub and a built-in low pass x-over you will be fine without an equalizer.
tommyd241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

I gotta agree and say I would n't spend money on an equalizer either and just put your money into a better head unit. I like the ones that pioneer has I have had good luck with them.
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote