The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
66gmckid123

283 Oil Leak?

Hey I've been lurking the site for a while, but haven't made any posts yet. I have a 66gmc fleetside, 283 out of a 61 impala. I have an oil leak here's whats been replaced valve covers, intake (siliconed the ends), oil pan, oil pressure switch, and distributor ring. The oil runs down the side of the bellhousing and runs from under the crossmember and drips out the inspection cover. The back top of the engine looks a little wet like the oil breather is leaking, is that possible? I thought rear main, which it could still be but it's running down the side of the bellhousing and drips down from the back of the motor? Any thoughts would be much appreciated
Thanks Andrew
66gmckid123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
283 Man

Re: 283 Oil Leak?

Welcome to the forum!! check your value cover gaskets and your pans that cover your heads.I had a pair of crome value covers on my 283 that leaked the same way needless to say took them off not useing them any more.
283 Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Also, where is your crankcase breather? Are you running a PCV valve or is that early '61 a "road draft" type ventilation? If it is coming out of the breather than there is too much crankcase pressure...
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
fchava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Also, where is your crankcase breather? Are you running a PCV valve or is that early '61 a "road draft" type ventilation? If it is coming out of the breather than there is too much crankcase pressure...
I agree with corts60 also check your oil pressure sending unit or oil pressure fitting if using a mechanical gauge
fchava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
66gmckid123

I'm using the road draft ventilation system. I have replaced the valve covers gaskets twice, first rubber, and then cork (siliconed too). I looked at the valve cover gaskets from underneath and they didn't seem wet. The oil pressure switch is a new mechanical one, which isn't leaking. Oh yeah and the oil pan gasket has been replaced. The oil just runs off each side of the bellhousing so I don't know. Maybe I didn't silicone the intake enough?
66gmckid123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #6
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

You need an inspection mirror to look at the rear of the engine.

There mainly 3 places it could be leaking. The valve covers, the oil sending unit and the end of the intake manifold.

I am not a fan of RTV on valve cover gaskets. With cork I use yellow weatherstrip adhesive on the cover side. With the good rubber gaskets no sealant is required, but they are a pain to get lined up right. If the covers are sheet metal they need to have the flanges straight and don't over-tighten the bolts.

You didn't say if you had the intake off. If that's what leaks, you need a 1/4" bead of sealant on the ends. And check with a mirror while the sealant is wet so you can pull it off to fix it.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

I like Fred T's info...about the valve covers, I will only use cast covers with steel/rubber gaskets. I have had no issues and they can be removed many times w/out damage.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:52 AM   #8
soba_03

Only thing I might add is look at your oil dipstick tube as well. Maybe bent or pulled up out of the block even cracked which will allow some oil out as well..YES definately cast valve covers with rubber seal IS the only way to go.....
soba_03 is offline   Reply With Quote