The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
Wolfinthesnow
I put the laughter n slaughter

What to do...

With times like these ( being broke due to no overtime, gas prices, etc), what do you guys do with next to no extra $$$ to work on your rides. Ive been scratching up pennies trying to get the frame powder coated and am finding it to be a very long wait. Every step of my resto is waiting on the frame.
No need to post if ya dont want to, just staring out the window at the old truck and was wondering if anyone else has the no progress blues.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
dhughins

Re: What to do...

i with ya man. all we can do is try to hang in there, and this to will pass. is yours at least drivable? mines not and if it aint soon i will lose interest in it.

Last edited by dhughins; 10-05-2008 at 04:15 PM.
dhughins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
1966gmc
Why does it taste purple?

Yea,I know what ya mean.I need to replace my harness-$500 bones
Disc brake upgrade-$500 to $1200 bones
Bodywork-$crying
It's goin to be a long drawn out process.I had to jimmy rig some grounds to get my tail lights and brake lights working again.Then my wire goin to the dizzt decided that it wanted to melt along with some other wires....not cool
1966gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
tiggamonsta

I feel your pain. I picked up my 64 a couple months ago and it has sat in the garage since. I can't even afford to buy the rebuild kit for the carb. It is so frustrating to have all these plans in your head and not being able to act on them. I just know that I will eventually get to it, and am determined to hang on.
tiggamonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
1966gmc

This past tax season I planted a bit over 3 grand in the drivetrain.The part that pisses me off is since then, I have put maybe 500 miles on it and the trans is leaking fluid from the tailshaft seal(no biggie) and wants to burp fluid out of the dipstick.I paid 800 bucks for the trans.It was overhauled by a trans guy.He usually does fantastic work.Now I can never get ahold of him.It was equipped with a B&M shift kit,steel bands,blue clutches and some other goodies.Im scared to drive it any where for fear of burning the trans up because I dont have the loot to have it fixed
Old 10-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #6
283 Man

Hang in there take one day at a time.try to do most of your work by yourself it does save you money that way.Ive had my 66 going on 19 years and lot of tough times they will pass.
283 Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
1966gmc

Ha I do all my work except for having the engine built.I have built them before but I was on a very strict time schedule and there was no way I could have it done in the timeframe I was staring at.I do all the work to my truck in my driveway or take it to the shop where I work,but mostly at home.This past spring I was doin wheel cylinders in the rain at 12 in the morning so I could hit the road that day for a hotrod cruise in
Old 10-05-2008, 05:19 PM   #8
283 Man

I do mine the same way kinda in my back yard,my biggest problem is not enough tools
283 Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
1966gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 283 Man View Post
I do mine the same way kinda in my back yard,my biggest problem is not enough tools
I have been working on newer cars at a local dealership and in the last year that I have owned this truck, I have had to buy so many tools that I thought I would never have to use again lol. It's all good though,now I get to explain to the old lady that I need a nice toolbox at home too
Old 10-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #10
Corts60
Just here to tinker

yep. Times are tight. I need to rebuild my generator and I also don't have the money, so she sits.

I want to finish my Nova by next summer but who knows if that will happen.

Also need to build my garage. UUGGGGHHHH!!!
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
Wolfinthesnow
I put the laughter n slaughter

My delima is that its about $600 to get the frame blasted and powder coated. I have $425 stashed. Theres alot I could to with that, but in the end, I'd still be waiting to get the frame done. I never paid much attention to the frame of my 63 chevy that I had, and it eventually bit me in the tail badly later. Since this isnt my daily driver, id like to do it right, even if that means taking it slow. I just never knew that slow would eventually stop. So much for making it to the turkey rod run this year.

Props to you guys for cheering me up. Its nice to know that there are other hard working guys out there that are feeling the crunch as well. Good to know Im not alone in this mess known as the economy.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:19 PM   #12
Slmd92DIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966gmc View Post
Yea,I know what ya mean.I need to replace my harness-$500 bones
Disc brake upgrade-$500 to $1200 bones
I also need a new harness. I was going to try out the EZ wiring kits. 21 circuits for like $185.

Also on the disc brakes I bought a 87 chevy truck with a 305 that ran for $500. I robbed the disc brake front suspension, power steering, and many other odds and ends for my 65. I then parted the truck out and ended up like $125 ahead from what I paid for it. Plus I got all that stuff for my truck. Just look for one of those trucks out for cheap. Slide there crossmember under your truck. Oval out 2 holes in your frame and you officially have discs in the front. Very easy mod. Also converts to 5 lugs in the front too!! Sorry for the ramble just trying to help a fellow truck builder out.

Petitioning *No Regrets* MD/WV
Slmd92DIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:53 PM   #13
1966gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slmd92DIME View Post
I also need a new harness. I was going to try out the EZ wiring kits. 21 circuits for like $185.

Also on the disc brakes I bought a 87 chevy truck with a 305 that ran for $500. I robbed the disc brake front suspension, power steering, and many other odds and ends for my 65. I then parted the truck out and ended up like $125 ahead from what I paid for it. Plus I got all that stuff for my truck. Just look for one of those trucks out for cheap. Slide there crossmember under your truck. Oval out 2 holes in your frame and you officially have discs in the front. Very easy mod. Also converts to 5 lugs in the front too!! Sorry for the ramble just trying to help a fellow truck builder out.
No ramble at all man.I have been looking for a early 80's truck just for the above recommendation.Im just not sure if I would use the crossmember.Maybe just take all the needed parts off and swap to my truck.I don't have a way to keep my engine suspended in air to get the member out from underneath the truck.I would feel ten times safer letting my wife drive the truck with disc brakes and power steering.I also want to get a collapsible(sp) steering column and some new seatbelts,preferably some shoulder belts
Old 10-06-2008, 12:01 AM   #14
Frizzle Fry

I've heard that you can do the 71-87 front susp swap without the crossmember; just use everything else. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:13 AM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
I've heard that you can do the 71-87 front susp swap without the crossmember; just use everything else. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
No correction necessary. You can swap the post-73 brake & suspension stuff over to a pre-67 non-torsion bar equipped truck just like swapping it into a 67-70. There are some differences in the 61-62 suspensions so I'm not 100% what the disc swap would require there.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote