The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
jholley

Anybody Using CPP's Super Trac Bar

I'm just curious if there is supposed to be this much gap in the bracket that goes around the trailing arm and if so am I supposed to just cinch up the bolts and crimp it up or shim it out with some washers.

Also, do they only ship one length of U-bolt with their drop block kits? Note all the extra bolt I have after installing the 1 1/2 blocks. I'm going to have to cut the extra off I guess.
Attached Images

Jim

Garage fillers...

85 Chevy C10 Silverado LWB
07 Nissan Altima
2006 Mini Cooper S
jholley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
royo

Re: Anybody Using CPP's Super Trac Bar

I used a ece bar no problems
Old 02-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by royo View Post
Has ECE changed their pass side mount?

The reason I ask is because CPP was the first to make that style trailing arm bracket (captures the trailing arm on the top & bottom). I have yet to see anything on ECE's site w/an image similar to that.

I was going to use the CPP style (like in those pics) but already had the long Panhard bar & only needed that specific trailing arm bracket (that's thier 'new' version). When I called them to see which style I would get if I ordered one (new or old), they didn't know (couldn't tell me) which one I would receive. I then inquired about purchasing just the trailing arm bracket by itself & they wouldn't "break up a set".

I built my own.

Jholley, I would speak w/someone from CPP's tech group & verify if the dimensions on your bracket are correct. You shouldn't need to 'crush' the bracket or 'shim' it to properly tighten it up.

Here's a pic of ECE's 'Super Track-Bar' kit . . ......
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 02-07-2009 at 09:45 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
XXL
Señor Member

It almost looks like the bracket has gotten a little sideways, which has it hung up on the threads. If you try to tighten that down with a wrench, you might generate enough heat in the u-bolt to break it. I would disassemble, clean the holes on the bracket with a file and make sure it all goes together nice and flat before cinching down the nuts.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:51 AM   #5
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholley View Post
I'm just curious if there is supposed to be this much gap in the bracket that goes around the trailing arm and if so am I supposed to just cinch up the bolts and crimp it up or shim it out with some washers.

Also, do they only ship one length of U-bolt with their drop block kits? Note all the extra bolt I have after installing the 1 1/2 blocks. I'm going to have to cut the extra off I guess.
Maybe it's made for a 3/4 ton truck? There are reinforcement plates on the top and bottom of the heavy truck arms that would make up that difference. Their U-bolts are stupid long- just put a set on a buddy's truck- gonna have to cut 'em...
Quote:
That's a CPP bar...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
royo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Maybe it's made for a 3/4 ton truck? There are reinforcement plates on the top and bottom of the heavy truck arms that would make up that difference. Their U-bolts are stupid long- just put a set on a buddy's truck- gonna have to cut 'em...

That's a CPP bar...
what make you think that because of the paint. thats funny I havent bought anything from cpp since they poked me on the upper control arms and there awful cust sev

Last edited by royo; 02-08-2009 at 04:07 AM.
royo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:37 AM   #7
jholley

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL View Post
It almost looks like the bracket has gotten a little sideways, which has it hung up on the threads.
It isn't tight at all in this pic. I can still move it around with my hands. That's just how much gap there is when you slide it over the trailing arm. The u-bolt goes through the holes easy too.

Jim

Garage fillers...

07 Nissan Altima
2006 Mini Cooper S
Old 02-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
what make you think that because of the paint. thats funny I havent bought anything from cpp since they poked me on the upper control arms and there awful cust sev
I will admit the color was the 1st indication but then I figured you could of simply painted it silver.

All parts I have received from ECE were powder coated/painted black. The specific trailing arm brackets resembles CPP's bracket (unless ECE has changed their bracket & not updated their catalog).

I was going to post a pic from CPP's catalog but they still have not updated it even after I told them they have TWO different images listed for the same p/n in two different areas of their website (this was in late '07 or early '08 ).

That's when CPP soured my opinion of them.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 02-08-2009 at 11:55 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
jholley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I was going to post a pic from CPP's catalog but they still have not updated it even after I told them they have TWO different images listed for the same p/n in two different areas of their website (this was in late '07 or early '08 ).

That's when CPP soured my opinion of them.
Yeah, I called them and told them that their website wouldn't let me change the quantity for purchase on shocks. They politely informed me that I could place the order over the phone but that the prices on the website were wrong. They were $10 more expensive than the website was advertising. And here I thought that if you advertised for a price you were bound by law to sell at that price.

That's just one of my CPP stories.

Jim

Garage fillers...

07 Nissan Altima
2006 Mini Cooper S
Old 02-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Weird. You ordered directly from ECE? I have personally installed a two of each and that looks like the spitting image of a CPP piece. Not calling you a liar, just wondering if ECE is selling CPP parts now? I agree, CPP service eats Ding-Dongs; and not the tasty creme filled kind...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #11
royo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Weird. You ordered directly from ECE? I have personally installed a two of each and that looks like the spitting image of a CPP piece. Not calling you a liar, just wondering if ECE is selling CPP parts now? I agree, CPP service eats Ding-Dongs; and not the tasty creme filled kind...
well now you got me wondering? i know that ive had it for 4yrs but anyways i havent had any troubles with it
Old 02-08-2009, 04:32 PM   #12
Shane
Account Suspended

I have to agree with Gringol, as it looks NOTHING like my ECE track bar ....
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Not trying to jack this, but will that thing fit on a 'burb and clear the tank? My adjustable bar is tagging my pumpkin. It does use the factory mount?

jholley........I would shim that thing.......I guarentee you can do it faster than waiting for someone answering a 'tech' line with knowledge.

I also noticed that your mount block doesnt have the shim that royo has in between the axle and block.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device

Last edited by protrash64; 02-08-2009 at 06:42 PM. Reason: more stuff
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #14
texastrendz

did you measure the gap distance where it slides over, it looks like it was not pressed hard enough in the press brake. measure the the side that has the bar attached and then measure the open side and see if you get the same number. if not just squeeze it a little in a vise to close the gap.
texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #15
jholley

I ended up just tightening it down until it clamped together. Seems to be ok. Protrash, If I'm not mistaken that shim you are talking about on Royo's truck is a pinion angle wedge. I did some research here on the board and the general consensus is that I can drop up to 6" without significantly changing the pinion angle, especially since a couple inches of the drop is with blocks. btw, the bar I got has a bend in the middle just for being able to clear larger than normal diff covers. I'm not sure about burb fitment though.

Jim

Garage fillers...

07 Nissan Altima
2006 Mini Cooper S
Old 02-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #16
jholley

Quote:
Originally Posted by protrash64 View Post
Not trying to jack this, but will that thing fit on a 'burb and clear the tank? My adjustable bar is tagging my pumpkin. It does use the factory mount?

jholley........I would shim that thing.......I guarentee you can do it faster than waiting for someone answering a 'tech' line with knowledge.

I also noticed that your mount block doesnt have the shim that royo has in between the axle and block.
Here is a pic of the bar mounted. I'm not sure if your burban crossmembers are the same as a regular pickup but the bar should clear my tank when it goes in. And yes it does use the factory mount on the driver's side.
Attached Images

Jim

Garage fillers...

07 Nissan Altima
2006 Mini Cooper S
Old 02-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #17
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Thanx jholley...the pic looking straight down shows it. The 'burb gas tank is behind that x-member. Im bagged and it hits hard when down and aired out. I may have to look into one of these.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote