The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
blackmopar

motor mount bracket question

just picked up the truck about 2 weeks ago - the po swpped mtr and tranny to a 350/350 combo

I just realized the motor is leanin way to the driverside - brackets/mounts etc dont look bent/bad and no signs of frame crash - took pics tonight - these look different to me, and I am told they should be symettrical - are these two diferent mounts!?!?

Last edited by blackmopar; 07-30-2009 at 10:50 PM.
blackmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
blackmopar

Re: motor mount bracket question

Last edited by blackmopar; 07-30-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes the frame mount on the passenger side should be the mirror image of the one on the drivers side. I've not seen one like what you have on the passenger side.....not sure what it's application is.....it could be a bracket for a 292, they were different.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:34 AM   #4
blackmopar

thanks captain fab - any idea where i can get two new ones?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
padresag

the back holes (frame) are the proper mounting holes for that eng. some move them forward for clearance for hei distr if it won't clear the firewall
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
blackmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
the back holes (frame) are the proper mounting holes for that eng. some move them forward for clearance for hei distr if it won't clear the firewall
ron
Padre, I appreciate the response

Im assuming you are talking about the drvier side frame rail? I(think) the mount on that side is the one I need for both sides, from what I am being told - As it is right now, the engine leans towards the driverside and slightly back towards the firewall - so the psgr side is too tall and seems to be pushing that side of the engine towards the radiator - So I dont think ill be able to use the back holes on the driver side - though I dont have HEI
Old 07-31-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
padresag

http://www.persh.org/pickup/perches.htm
this link will show you the difference in the mounts
the d/side perch is the same for all applications. On the p/side the 292 perch is shorter and mounts ahead of the one on the other side.
v8's mounted rear holes; 230-250 I6's mounted in the frt holes originally
all that you have to get is the p/side from a 230-250 or from a 283 and it will all balance out
ron
Old 07-31-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
blackmopar

you are the MAN!! thanks a bunch Ron - now ot source it - Have only dfound the fancy tubular stuff like CPP and Performaance Online have, but pretty (and) pricey

I now know exactly what to search from your link
thanks again
Sean
Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmopar View Post
you are the MAN!! thanks a bunch Ron - now ot source it - Have only dfound the fancy tubular stuff like CPP and Performaance Online have, but pretty (and) pricey

I now know exactly what to search from your link
thanks again
Sean
you have a pm
Old 08-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
blackmopar

Quote:
http://www.persh.org/pickup/perches.htm
this link will show you the difference in the mounts
the d/side perch is the same for all applications. On the p/side the 292 perch is shorter and mounts ahead of the one on the other side.
v8's mounted rear holes; 230-250 I6's mounted in the frt holes originally
all that you have to get is the p/side from a 230-250 or from a 283 and it will all balance out
ron
Hey Guys
Ok so I have the new Psgr side mount and got both reinstalled (passenger is now on the 'outboard' set of holes of the framerail and the drivers side is now on the 'rear' set of holes - and the motor is ALIGNED/Centered in the e/bay - woohoo

Now the new problem - because of this adjustment to the motor I was able to move the tranny crossmember back to the oem holes in the framerail - PO just thought it was cool drilling new holes in the frame apparently - but now the trans mount doesnt align anywhere close to the center bolt holes on the crossmember - measuring from frame rail to frame rail the tranny tailshaft is centered - the mount seems too far to the psgr side

this truck had a powerglide - and got a th350 when po swapped motors - is there any difference in trans mounts for both trannys? Wondering if he reused a powerglide mount like he used the 292 I6 motor mount

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by blackmopar; 08-09-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:54 AM   #11
padresag

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/trans_dims.asp
ron
Old 08-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
blackmopar

dang, so if im reading that right - there is no difference between the two for the mount
i wonder if the mount maybe deformed in the wrong location so now with everything aligned its missing the holes? It got to be an inch off alignment to the passenger side of the trans xmember holes

and as I say, framerails measure just about 28 3/4" wide and center of tailshaft is right about 14 1/4"
Old 08-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #13
padresag

go back and loosen all the bolts on the frt eng mounts so that it is free to move a little. you didn't say how much difference that there is in the holes lining up. if you check the dimensions again you will find that there is 3/16" by measure plus the bolted up frt mounts. make sure that the holes in the mount are not offset at all and also check to see that the crossmember is noin backwards (the PO could have done that). if everything is in it's right place it should fall in place, though sometimes persuasion is a requirement.
sometimes it is even a tight exhaust system that can hold you up
ron
3/16 here and 3/16 there add up to things not going together. It is always the little things that cause the problems. Just ask Joe's girl friend

Last edited by padresag; 08-10-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #14
1964C10

Blackmopar, I see you are just up the road from me, I am in San Marcos!

My build thread
Looking for help on completing the Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

If you didn't build it, you don't really own it
1964C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #15
blackmopar

Quote:
go back and loosen all the bolts on the frt eng mounts so that it is free to move a little. you didn't say how much difference that there is in the holes lining up. if you check the dimensions again you will find that there is 3/16" by measure plus the bolted up frt mounts. make sure that the holes in the mount are not offset at all and also check to see that the crossmember is noin backwards (the PO could have done that). if everything is in it's right place it should fall in place, though sometimes persuasion is a requirement.
Really appreciate the help here - the rubber mount holes are almost an inch too far to the passenger side of the xmember holes (really about the same distance as I moved the drivers side motor mount back - was on the front holes now on the rear holes as instructed)
How can you verify if the trans xmember is in backwards?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #16
blackmopar

thinking i should get a new mount anyway to rule out any deformation - stupidly I didnt measure the center location of the trans tailshaft BEFORE I started the realignment, but it had to be angled towards the drivers rear tire

Last edited by blackmopar; 08-10-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #17
blackmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964C10 View Post
Blackmopar, I see you are just up the road from me, I am in San Marcos!
whats up neighbor! thats cool man. Yours on the road or project IM trying like hell to keep this one on the road but as you can see the PO aint makin that easy.
Nothing unfixable, jsut amazes me how some people put (or dont really0 put sh1t together!
Old 08-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #18
1964C10

Hey if you need a hand give me a shout! Mine is a project, it is driveable but I don't feel safe in it with the original brakes up front. After I get my bed put back together I am going to focus on getting it into a better temporary driver. Yeah it is amazing how people put things together, I am rewiring mine completely because the harnes is so shot it's easier to start over.

So what does your truck look like?

My build thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #19
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmopar View Post
Really appreciate the help here - the rubber mount holes are almost an inch too far to the passenger side of the xmember holes (really about the same distance as I moved the drivers side motor mount back - was on the front holes now on the rear holes as instructed)

the rubber mount holes are almost an inch too far to the passenger side of the xmember holes (really about the same distance as I moved the drivers side motor mount back
as I stated prev, loosen off the bolts for the frt mounting(it won't take much there to make up an inch at the rear mount)
the exh can hold it over there also esp if it was put in with the eng at a tilt as it was before (you may have to disconnect it to totallly find out). It is sometimes a PITA to undue someone elses dream work esp.when they don't know a poop about it.
just measure the mounting holes and if they are in the centre side to side and front to back then you are fine, but if they are offset one way or the other, would it fit better if it was reversed????
now get to work and come back and tell us what worked
ron
Old 08-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #20
blackmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964C10 View Post
Hey if you need a hand give me a shout! Mine is a project, it is driveable but I don't feel safe in it with the original brakes up front. After I get my bed put back together I am going to focus on getting it into a better temporary driver. Yeah it is amazing how people put things together, I am rewiring mine completely because the harnes is so shot it's easier to start over.

So what does your truck look like?
thanks for the offer - im new to the Chevy world so just trying to figure out stuff as this thread makes obvious.

THis is what shes lookin like right now
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #21
blackmopar

Quote:
the rubber mount holes are almost an inch too far to the passenger side of the xmember holes (really about the same distance as I moved the drivers side motor mount back
as I stated prev, loosen off the bolts for the frt mounting(it won't take much there to make up an inch at the rear mount)
the exh can hold it over there also esp if it was put in with the eng at a tilt as it was before (you may have to disconnect it to totallly find out). It is sometimes a PITA to undue someone elses dream work esp.when they don't know a poop about it.
just measure the mounting holes and if they are in the centre side to side and front to back then you are fine, but if they are offset one way or the other, would it fit better if it was reversed????
now get to work and come back and tell us what worked
ron
dig it - thanks for guidance - Im at work now, but should get to this tonight after football practice
Old 08-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #22
1964C10

Man, you are coming along nicely! and it's a long bed, sweeeet! Mine is too, I love it! Hey welcome to the board, this is a great place to learn.

My build thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:06 AM   #23
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The trans crossmember also has a slight angle to the surface that the mount sits on. It should angle up towards the engine.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #24
blackmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The trans crossmember also has a slight angle to the surface that the mount sits on. It should angle up towards the engine.

makes sense, cool, appreciate the thought - got home late last night so didnt crawl back under - but hopefully in the next few days and Ill report back progress - realzie this prob aint rocket science, but all these tips help so I know any chevy and/or c10 specific stuff - sounds like its straightfwd - mostly wanted to make sure not a different mount/etc and crossmember backwards is comepltely possible given the other cool tricks the po did.

thanks again