The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
hotrodrookie

55-59 fuel injection tank Q

Im puting a 5.3l in my truck and Im trying to find a cost effective way to go with the tank.
Anyone have info on modyfing oddbal tanks that fit between my frame to work with the ls motors?

Or I was thinking of buying a cell from summit.

I thought I saw it somewhere in this board of someone who had a tank from an ls1 camaro and it looked like it fit really nice in between the rails under the bed of a task force, if anyone knows what Im talking about let me know.
Thanks
hotrodrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
blackdiesel

Re: 55-59 fuel injection tank Q

You can get an aftermarket, exturnal high pressure pump for around 100 bucks and use the tank of your choice.
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Lextech

I see you are in California. Does the emission equipment have to match the year of the donor engine? If so, You will need the fuel pump/sender module out of the same era of the 5.3. It will have the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor that will allow proper operation of the same era Charcoal Canister. You could get a junk GM tank and cut out the "Hole" portion and weld it into whatever tank you come up with---If it is not a GM tank. That way you would have an in tank pump with the sensor you will need.

Jeff

Last edited by Lextech; 07-31-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Lextech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

I have a LS1 tank in between the frame rails, it takes some trimming of the frame to make it fit, and mine hangs low but that can be corrected if you use straps to raise it up.
If I had to do it again I would buy a after market tank, but the problem with the after market tanks is that you will need to buy a after market fuel pump, be it internal or external due to the size and length of the stock intank pump.
Note, these tanks have baffles inside. So if you get a aftermarket tank you will need one that is made for these engines/fuel system.

Tri5
Tri5Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
hotrodrookie

Tri5! I knew I saw your tank somewhere, I tried finding it again and had no luck. Do you know how many gallons the ls1 tank holds? Are there any sensors that you have to use on the ls1 tank? Im not too familiar with fuel inhection stuff and the camaro tanks seem to have alot of stuff on them. Aside from trimming the frame, how difficult would it be to make a stock ls1 tank work with my 5.3?

ps: as many pics as you have of your setup would be highly apreciated!

Last edited by hotrodrookie; 07-31-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodrookie View Post
Tri5! I knew I saw your tank somewhere, I tried finding it again and had no luck. Do you know how many gallons the ls1 tank holds? Are there any sensors that you have to use on the ls1 tank? Im not too familiar with fuel inhection stuff and the camaro tanks seem to have alot of stuff on them. Aside from trimming the frame, how difficult would it be to make a stock ls1 tank work with my 5.3?

I can get you some pics later but I did not have to use anything special, I use the in tank pump and a corvette fuel filter with the return line to the tank. I don't recall using any sensors, the computer handle most of that stuff.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodrookie View Post

I can get you some pics later but I did not have to use anything special, I use the in tank pump and a corvette fuel filter with the return line to the tank. I don't recall using any sensors, the computer handle most of that stuff.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
hotrodrookie

Sweet! Im looking forward to any more pics. Do you know if theres any difference in the tank, pump, anything... with the v6 camaro's? Thanks
Old 07-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
dieseldr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lextech View Post
I see you are in California. Does the emission equipment have to match the year of the donor engine? If so, You will need the fuel pump/sender module out of the same era of the 5.3. It will have the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor that will allow proper operation of the same era Charcoal Canister. You could get a junk GM tank and cut out the "Hole" portion and weld it into whatever tank you come up with---If it is not a GM tank. That way you would have an in tank pump with the sensor you will need.

Jeff
actually here in california you are smog exempt if the vehichle is 1975 or older.. so pretty much you can do whatever you want, which is great..
Old 07-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
cajundragger

the most cost effective way is to buy a summit cell and a in take pump kit from tanks inc.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:19 PM   #11
Number 9

Rock valley makes a great tank with all the stuff.
Number 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:58 AM   #12
hotrodrookie

Hey Tri5, any chance of taking some pics of the way you mounted the tank, how low it sits, and what mods wereneeded for the frame.

Im looking around the local salvage yards and Im thinking i should be able to find a tank with the pump for around $100
Old 09-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #13
hotrodrookie

Decided on a new route, going to attempt fabbing my own from .125" aluminum and running an intank fuel pump from tanks inc. Im keeping the stock shock mount crossmember in and Im wondering should I run the fuel lines below it or can I get away with running them above it. The way I drew the tank plans gives me about 1/4" clearances around all the edges and Im wondering if I should make a larger gap between it and the shock x-member to allow room for fuel lines to pass through?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:26 PM   #14
JML55

I'm using an aluminum fuel tank from CPP and intank pump from tanks inc. I just order the pump this pass weekend should get it in a week or so. I will post pics on my build thread later keep watching.
55 Belair
99 S10

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316140
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=806011
JML55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #15
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

I've gone a different direction now, I purchased a 70 mustang 22 gallon tank and started modifying it to work with the LS1 intank pump/sender assembly.
I was surprised that the pump sets in with very little compression.

I need to make two plates to hold the pump securely to the tank. then it should be ready. Once complete I'll post pictures.

Tri5
Old 01-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #16
yossarian19

Any updates? More pics of the Camaro tank, if you still have any?
What did you wind up cutting on the frame?
Once I'm done wiring the engine harness, I'm moving on to the fuel system. Ideas of what to expect will speed up the process, I'm sure.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote