The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
bikerbomber

Got a little issue thats getting worse

Hey guys,
I did a self-install of a sony CD/Mp3 Player back in December of 2008. I had done it before so never had any issues. Well I got a little froggy and threw in a speaker box I had cobbled together and a little 75w amp to power said box...

I was having issues getting the cigarette lighter to work before so I ran the wiring off that to the amp. (I knew I would get a ground loop, but the noise canceller got rid of that)

I have had zero problems with the system until a week ago.

The rear speakers began to occasionally have ground loop noise. It would appear for no reason only to disappear for no reason. I thought maybe the ground loop isolator was the problem. So I got a new one. No difference and as time has passed I get ground loop noise all the time, except at start up, but after about a minute, it starts again.

Another issue is my CD deck has started to turn itself off every now and again.

Can anyone suggest what is going on? I thought it was just the amp wiring (Being run off a poor source) But the deck is wigging out now too.

Thanks guys
Old 09-20-2009, 12:03 AM   #2
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: Got a little issue thats getting worse

Clean all of the connections with contact cleaner. Alot of times the terminals and switches can get dirty and induce noise. I have this sort of issue in my truck right now and I just haven't taken the time to do it.

Also, your ground on the head unit may have some corrosion. Give it a quick sand and clean.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
bikerbomber

Its worse, haha.

Ok, so I narrowed it down to the amp and sub. Its definitely the sub because I have zero noise from the other speakers. I checked the ground connection at the amp and cleaned and reinstalled, no change. I checked the wiring back and the line is secure and still intact. I am also having issues with the head powering off all of a sudden, and my headlights dimming and flickering.

It is getting worse and has be a bit concerned as its no longer just the sub acting up.

Can I add a second ground from the amp to the body and will this help at all?

Thanks guys.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
72 cheyenne pdx

I would disconnect the Amp/Sub all together and drive it around a few days to see if that clear things up.

It may be an alternator issue as well. A ground loop noise can develop if your alternator is starting to crap out.
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
bikerbomber

Well that's the thing, its only coming from the amp/sub. The speakers in the dash and back behind the ears are silent. I have really noticed my lights flickering a lot as well. Is the cigarette lighter wiring and headlights tied in together somehow? Could there be a bad ground at the lights thats feeding back into the other wires?

I have my amp (yes lazy and not good) wired through the former cigarette lighter wiring. Haven't had any issues for two years til now.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
72 cheyenne pdx

When you say flickering, are the headlights dimming when the bass hits?
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
bikerbomber

No, not really. My sub is kind of a joke compared to others, its just two 6 1/2 speakers pulled from a home theater sub. Lol. Redneck big time, but I was (and still am to a degree) dirt poor at the time. Those stock lil 4x6 speakers are a joke.

Ok, I did some work and things seem to be better. Not perfect but better.

I pulled the head unit and checked and electric greased the pins. Ran another wire from the amp ground to a frame bolt close by. I also pulled the headlight ground (it was really dirty) and cleaned, greased, and reattached it.

So far, its WAY better noise wise. I can still hear it a little bit but I believe that's because I am powering the amp off the cigarette lighter wires. I have the circuit breaker and 14ga wire, I just need to run it to the battery and I think that will solve the problem for good.

Its been daylight here, so I can't test the headlamps yet. I'll let you guys know tonight.

Thanks