The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
56hotrodred

56 1/2 ton body on 80 SWB frame radiator options

I was wondering what you guys that are setting your 55 to 59 1/2 ton bodies on 73 & up 1/2 ton frames are using for a radiator. I am using the original inner fenders and rad support and have fabricated mounts from the rad support to chassis. I would like to keep the rad on the original rear side of the rad support if at all possible.

The problem as many of you will no doubt know is the front frame crossmember - the one the brake proportioning/residual valve sits on - sits right under the stock radiator location and will not allow the stock radiator to drop down low enough to bolt in.

Any help and pictures would be great. I have just spent an hour or so searching and looking at pictures and will search some more but thought I would ask also.

Thanks in advance.

56hotroded
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:54 PM   #2
blackdiesel

Re: 56 1/2 ton body on 80 SWB frame radiator options

Mines on a 77 4x4 frame with no problem, but I'm not runnin a proportioning valve. I'm runnin disc front and rear and put a ajustable valve on the rear. and yes, I have the stock 57 rad. and rad. suport.
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
56hotrodred

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
Mines on a 77 4x4 frame with no problem, but I'm not runnin a proportioning valve. I'm runnin disc front and rear and put a ajustable valve on the rear. and yes, I have the stock 57 rad. and rad. suport.
I have a 79 4x4 chassis that I have been taking parts off of and am going to take a look at it tomorrow and see if the crossmember is different than my 80 2 wheel drive truck frame. There must be more room in the 4x4 or else the crossmember has been removed in yours.

There is no way I can get the rad down low enough to bolt it in because of the crossmember that the proportioning valve is bolted to is in the way.

You don't have a picture handy of your rad sitting in the engine compartment do you?

This came to light today when I finished modifying my inner fenders bolted up my firewall mounted brake booster, ran the brake lines down to the proportioning valve and ran my power steering lines into the engine bay.

Thanks for the quick reply.

56hotrodred
Old 02-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
blackdiesel

The crossmember is different for the 4 and 2 wheel drive.
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
buds56

I put a 56 on a 79 frame a coupe of yrs ago and used a 67 Firebird 4 core radiator. It was a short crossflow with mounting brackets on the ends. It worked well with the 305 and AC that was in it. I sold it to a friend and he installed a 455 Pontiac and it would get a little warm on hot days in traffic, I think a set of electric fans would have taken care of it, but he sold it before we could install them. here's a link to the project http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/11721969
Attached Images

buds56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
56hotrodred

Hey thanks for the info. That is the direction I have been heading and in fact have found a potential donor in a 64/65 GTO/Tempest direction - very close to the 67 Firebird I would say. It is 25" wide and 20" high which is real close to what I need.

I have the stock rad clamped in place right now and it would need about 4 1/2 inches cut out of the core below the top tank to fit right.

I was looking at Be Cool's www and found the above one I mentioned in a down-flow that should physically fit but have to look at the best upper & lower hose locations - but they have lots of choices.

Looks like one of their "Radiator Modules" may be the route to go. It has double puller fans, all tig welded, polished or natural aluminum and will handle up to 700 HP. Price appears to be under $1500.00 for this unit-with fans, wiring, etc... So far I have seen other prices well over $2000.00 for top of the line systems.

Be Cool also appears to have many accessories to finish things off.

I do not think I am going to be buying one anytime soon but it is nice to know that they are available.

Anybody had any experience with Be Cool Radiators?

By the way I look the look of your truck. How does it ride with the 79 frame/suspension? Have you modified the 79 suspension at all? Looks like you have dropped it.

56hotrodred

Last edited by 56hotrodred; 02-07-2010 at 06:43 PM.