The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
suttoncurt

Question Tall valve covers with factory A/C Brackets?

I was thinking of getting a new set of tall valve covers for my 1969 c/10 350 ci. It has a factory air cab and the factory (long style ) compressor on the drivers side . Has anyone tried this set up ? Thank You for any help in advance
suttoncurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Tall valve covers with factory A/C Brackets?

I'm pretty sure the valve covers wont clear. Theres really no need for tall covers without roller rockers and a big cam.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
Winola73

I ran that setup on a 383 in a '72 Chevelle years ago. I had the tall "Chevrolet Power" chrome valve covers with the AC bracket that bolted in the middle of the intake. IIRC ( it was 1982 ) they just cleared.
Winola73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
suttoncurt

Question Re: Tall valve covers with factory A/C Brackets?

Ok thanks for the info guys - my new 383 does have 1.5 roller rockers and a pretty large cam . 109 center line 567-567 lift 236/236 dur @ 50 . Any chance for shock height valve covers clearing ?

Winola73 do you think thoes valve covers you ran are still avaliable through GMPP? This is my first performance motor and im finding out how little i know about them . haha
Old 02-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
Winola73

Quote:
Originally Posted by suttoncurt View Post
Ok thanks for the info guys - my new 383 does have 1.5 roller rockers and a pretty large cam . 109 center line 567-567 lift 236/236 dur @ 50 . Any chance for shock height valve covers clearing ?

Winola73 do you think thoes valve covers you ran are still avaliable through GMPP? This is my first performance motor and im finding out how little i know about them . haha
They were out of production for awhile but I believe they're available again. I picked up a nice used set off eBay a couple years ago but somebody offered me too much money for them and since I decided to run Vortec heads on the engine I bought them for I made his day.
Winola73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
suttoncurt

ok - thanks winola73 ! Anyone else want to chime in on these cam specs ? Is this cam to big for stock height valve covers ? Im not planing on running stud girdels .
Old 02-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
cableguy0

The best way to check is to just rotate the engine over by hand with the covers on and listen. IM running roller rockers with .555 lift roller cam under regular height edelbrock signature series valve covers. Im using aftermarket heads though and I think my valve cover rails a bit higher than stock.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
suttoncurt

ok cableguy0 , I forgot to add im running the Dart pro1 platinum heads so they might have the raised rails too. which might put the stock height v.cover closer to the bracket - wow - im working 12 hours from home and wanted to order some valve covers so they would be their when i get home - This is going to be a trial and error situation ! Story of my life . haha thanks!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
cableguy0

Yea isnt performance stuff fun. LOL. All this bolt on stuff that wont bolt on hahahaahaah