The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2003, 07:07 PM   #1
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Thumbs up Back to normal once again

Just want to report on the things I have been working on.

I started my truck today, or rather, tried to start it. The damn battery was dead again. I guess messing with the stereo while not running the engine killled it again. A quick charge with the charger and it fired right up. Set the timing to 15 BTDC.

The repair MSD did, fixed the buzzing I had with it. Great.

The shift light stayed on all the time. Not great. Figured out I had it wired wrong. With the 6AL, you have to hook it up different. Fixed it and it works right now. Great.

Took the tranny pan and had another fitting brazed in yesterday. It don't leak now. Great. I cleaned it real good before putting it back on last night. After it was on and the truck on the ground again. and filled with fluid, I see the damn magnet laying on my work bench. Not great. Had to drain the fluid again, but I drained it back into the bottles because it was new and didn't want to throw it away. Thank goodness for the drain plug I installed long ago. Got it back on. Great.

No leaks on the new braided tranny cooler hoses, fittings, or new tranny cooler. Great.

Still need to permanently fix the shift light wiring and hook up the vac gauge, but everything is back to normal.

So far everything is working and no leaks. I plan on tinkering some more tomorrow. I'm going to reroute some vac hoses and wiring, etc.

Sometime next week I'm going to go to the muffler shop and have the Summit 3" header collectors welded on my exhaust. I'm going to have them welded before the cat, back to back, so I can unbolt them and remove the cat.

Don't you just love it when you get all the little bugs worked out on things like this?

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 07:44 PM   #2
Cole's 87

Talking

Mike I'm glad your getting some things done. Its too damn cold up here to do anything. We still got snow on the ground. Boy I cant wait till summer.
Cole's 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 07:58 PM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Cole,

it's been cold here too, but I got my shop and an heater.

All the snow finally is gone, thanks to all the rain we've been having.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:06 PM   #4
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

That is great Mike. Sounds like Murphy paid a visit to you but not a bad one just a time consuming one!! lol
I hope to get my fans installed tomorrow or Sunday. I might just go pick up a thermostat kit too so it will come on at 200 and go off at 180. Are they easy to set up??

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 10:10 PM   #5
Bowed

I do not have a heater for my garage ( but than again it was 86 degrees here today ) . I feel your frustration with the magnet , I hate it when I work very hard on something and then find I made a simple error and have to do the job over . The worst one that ever happened to me was to replace a transmission and then find out I made a simple error in assembly and had to yank it out again ,ouch . .
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 12:36 AM   #6
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Mike you wanna come down here and spread some of that good luck? Glad to see you getting everything done where you can have it all fixed and done right. Now if I can get the truck going tomorrow and no leaks I'll be a happy camper

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 12:48 AM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

What are you doing tomorrow?

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 02-01-2003, 12:57 AM   #8
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Having to finish up the new fuel line. I need another 90 Degree bend but can't find one I need at speed shops. Summit has them but can't wait till then. Need to get back to work Sun. and need a fitting now. Then remounting alternator (hopefully getting that fixed soon-see other post), having to place heli-coil in teh head for alternator bracket, and trying to finish up the looms I ordered and got in but my *$*%^(%*(#$&$ 8.8 Accel wires are too big for the loom holes with the stock hardware they sent me. Then the header flange was in the way of the bracket. So I got that part fixed on the header. Instead of cutting the flange I've used longer bolts to attach on top of the flange. The looms are going to be fixed tomorrow. Been searching for right length bolts on looms but going to fix it with some hidden washers until I can afford some more 8mm wire that the looms will accept no problems. Then hopefully I can finally mount my new valve covers that I got for Christmas. Then if I have time and not lost my temper I'll work on replacing the tranny lines. Anybody wanna help

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 02-01-2003, 02:49 PM   #9
PHOENIX

GREAT to hear it MIke. Its GREAT when you get everything working GREAT again. Just kidding with ya, I just thought it was funny you used the word GREAT so many times. I can tell your happy. Next weekend should be good for me. Im gonna try and put on the new valve covers (gonna order them Monday, hope they will get here in time), and im going to install the msd module and coil

About the magnet, where you drinking? Sometimes when working on the truck I drink a little more then I should. I do some stupid @$$ $h*t sometimes, but who cares, it gets done

When you gonna get that vacuum gauge hooked up? Any chance you can go for a cruise and video tape it, so I can see how it acts? They may be pushing it huh? I just never seen one in person working, so Id like to check one out.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:18 PM   #10
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Brandon,

sounds like you're gonna be busy. How come you need another 90? Good luck with everything. Wish I could help.

Eddie,

I wondered if anyone was going to say anything about me using GREAT so much. It was intentional.

But everything isn't so GREAT. The fitting I've had brazed in twice is leaking a tiny bit. A very tiny bit, but it's still a leak. This thing is really starting to piss me off.

But I got all the wiring for the shift light fixed and neated up under the hood. I also got the vacumm gauge hooked up.

I took it out for a spin to test the shift light. I have a 5500 module in the light, and had a 5700 module in the 6AL. Well it's too close together. If you go over 5500 a tad, the limiter kicks in and you start loosing power. I put a 6000 module in the 6AL and all is fine. I love the light with the Megashifter. It is awesome. Sure beats having to watch the tach when you shift.

Back to the drawing board on the fitting in the pan. It will all work out in the end. It always does.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:19 PM   #11
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Oh, and on the video of the vac gauge. I would but I don't have a digital video camera. I'm going to get one some day.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:35 PM   #12
Blue Beard

Battery

If you find your battery dead very often, you should check for a short.

Several good posts on looking for shorts.

Right now there are several members searching for shorts.

1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 09:49 PM   #13
low 84

glad you got her back running. i didn't get anything done this weekend but i did spend some money on a 'little' something

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 11:14 PM   #14
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Quote:
Originally posted by low 84
i didn't get anything done this weekend but i did spend some money on a 'little' something
What??
Old 02-02-2003, 02:40 AM   #15
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Guess I won't be putting in a drain plug on my tranny.
Why are you rewiring the vacuum lines? Part of the new guage?
Old 02-02-2003, 03:20 PM   #16
low 84

Quote:
Originally posted by swervin ervin

What??
hehe, teasing you guys with suspense. i'll get some pics and post them later this week. its my summer project.

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 06:38 PM   #17
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by low 84

hehe, teasing you guys with suspense. i'll get some pics and post them later this week. its my summer project.
I know what it is I'll never tell!! I don't want to ruin the surprise

Mike- I forgot to get a 90 for the bend out from the pump connection Then when I went to reattacht the new fitting I took off the hose end (red) to fit the hose behind the pump and no have a bad end that I can't get cleaned up on the hose. I'm having my wife take it to the speed shop Monday and get recut for me. This is driving me nuts. Still haven't finished up the valve covers and looms. One side of looms are done but going to redo them since I don't like the way it turned out so far. Still expreimenting