The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2003, 12:21 AM   #1
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Angry Alternator Issues- Options?

Well after working in truck this week I was trying to get everything put back together and sparked the alternator pretty good. So I went and had it checked out and tested fine with amps. But when it was running you could hear either a bearing or brushes (I'm thinking bearing) rubbing in the alternator. You can hear it more while spinning the pulley by hand. So sounds like a new alt. is needed soon. I'm looking at a chrome one but DAMN they're $$$$. I've looked at a chrome case but those are $$$. I might as well buy a chrome one and save $$$ over a new alt. and case. I don't have a system in the truck to power just stock style system and not going to get one anytime. Also I'll be looking for electric fans later on. So what amp should I get? 100 is what I'm thinking. 140 is alot for what I need. But if the price difference is a little more I might look into the upgrade. If I got a new 140 then what would happen if I didn't need all the power? I'm not going to fry anything am I? Also I want to convert this over to a 1 wire if possible if I need a new one. I'm going to a place tomorrow hopefully to see if he caqn help me get it by for now if not then I'll break down and get one.

So any good ones out there? I know Powermaster supposed to be good. Anyones to stay away from? Not getting a rebuilt one!!!

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 12:41 AM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I would go with a 140 if funds are available. I like my Powermaster, especially with the service they just gave me.

On the power thing, here is what Powermaster says about it.

Will a higher amp alternator hurt my battery or charging system?

No. A good rule of thumb is that more amps are not harmful, but more voltage is. If you look at electrical power like water, amperage is equivalent to the volume of water, and voltage is equivalent to water pressure. More amperage is like having a larger pool of water to draw from.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 12:49 AM   #3
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I like that kind of service as well Mike. Also the way they explain it is very smart. I know that a place here sells them just need to price them. Also a local speed shop has some chrome ones as well. Just want to make sure of the brand.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 02-02-2003, 06:06 AM   #4
Txstruck

Brandon, Call that guy at Midwest Electric. 972-680-8322 (Fritz)
Old 02-02-2003, 09:53 AM   #5
racedvl
Account Suspended

May I insert my .02 here? I personally, hate chrome. And here is why. Chrome allways seems to rust right away. It also in the means of valve covers, oil pan, t-stat housing, will usally end up leaking. Also anything chromed is terrible at dissapating heat. That means chrome is gonna hold in the heat more. And with something like a alternator, you really wanna keep that thing cool. Chrome is great on bumpers and maybe a air filter lid, but that is as close to my engine as I want it. I didn't put this here to tick off the gods of chrome, I just wanted to let you know what I think of chrome, and why I would not choose a chrome alternator. But ya know what's great about this country? Freedom. So do what ya want to your truck! . . . . Ok, I'm off my soap box now. . . LOL
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:31 AM   #6
CustomChevy

Hey Brandon,

I have a "near new" AC Delco alternator hat I bought new at Car Quest. Since my truck is torn apart, I suppose I could sell it instead of letting it sit in a box. It only has maybe 500 miles on it.
If interested, let me know. How about $60 bones?

Did I mention it has chrome pulley/fan?

Adam
CustomChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 06:31 PM   #7
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Thanks Adam I'll let you know ifI can't get mine fixed cheap. I should know something later this week.

Old 02-02-2003, 08:58 PM   #8
c10scotty
~THE SILVER BULLET~

if you are gonna have electric fans then you will want a 140 amp. it will be easier on your whole charging and electical system. your battery will perform and last a lot better too. the extra amperage wouldnt hurt a thing. there is a built in voltage regulator that shuts your alternator on and off repeatedly according to engine rpm and battery need so it wont overload your battery.