The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
JoeKan

Door handle question

Since my burb has been painted, I've been putting all the pieces back together. I've been working on the barn door handle of my 72 burb and I'm thinking that I may be missing a piece.
Can someone tell me if there is something that is to be attached to the door handle "inside" the door panel? I've got it bolted on and it has a plunger that I think it suppose to strike a metal plate, thus opening the door.
Well, it's not opening the door which makes me think there might be a link that is suppose to be attached somewhere??
Also, the handle doesn't have a gasket around it and it looks like there ought to be one. Am I correct on that?
Thanks for the help,
Joe
JoeKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: Door handle question

Do you have the GM chassis service manual?

I just looked at mine (1968), and on pages 1B-12 & 1B-13 there are schematics of the rear door mechanisms.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
JoeKan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
Do you have the GM chassis service manual?

I just looked at mine (1968), and on pages 1B-12 & 1B-13 there are schematics of the rear door mechanisms.
I don't believe I do. I'll check in the morning. I looked at the driver's side handle (the interior panel is off) and I see the outside handle is connected to a link that connects to the inside door handle. That's what I'm thinking I'm missing on the barn door.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
GruntMoanCough

I think there's a coupla rods to connect. I got some barn doors to look at, but they're 20 miles away. PM sent.

BTW, your 'burb looks great! Can't wait to see it all assembled.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
vectorit
What?

Here is what I am lookin at, and snapped a pic of it for ya! Lazy man scanner
Attached Images

vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
JoeKan

Thank you both very much! I think that is exactly what I need. I look more into tonight when I get home.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
AzDon

I think what that diagram is showing is that there is a sliding plate on the latch release lever that the keylock slides into an extended position where the plunger of the outside door handle can push it. When this slider is retracted by the keylock the plunger has nothing to push against, so the door is effectively locked.
This is a longtime design that was in use on van swinging doors as recently as 1987 that I know about.
So the short answer is that the arm that the plunger pushes is probably just slid into it's shortened/retracted position.
AzDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
JoeKan

I still can't get it to work. I push the door handle button in, it pushes a plunger that hits against a plate that opens the door. The plunger is not hitting the plate--too short--I'm wondering if there is something else that is suppose to go on the plunger to extend it?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
k5kev

Sounds like you are using a front door handle. The barn door handle has a longer plunger than the other 3 doors. They don't repop barn door handles, so if you aren't using the original, that is definately your problem.

I'm going to have this problem when I get to installing my barn doors. I've been wondering myself if there wasn't a way to add some metal or a bolt or something to the inside mechanism that would make contact with the shorter plunger.
k5kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
Steven B

Yes. The barn door handle has a longer plunger. Check the other door handles to see if it was installed at another location. If not, then check the boards. These handles are not reprodused.
Steven B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
JoeKan

Thanks for all the help. I haven't had a chance to look at it again yet. I've been so busy I only have about one afternoon per week to work on her.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
JoeKan

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5kev View Post
Sounds like you are using a front door handle. The barn door handle has a longer plunger than the other 3 doors. They don't repop barn door handles, so if you aren't using the original, that is definately your problem.

I'm going to have this problem when I get to installing my barn doors. I've been wondering myself if there wasn't a way to add some metal or a bolt or something to the inside mechanism that would make contact with the shorter plunger.
I'm thinking this is what I'm going to do, take a piece of metal and JB weld it to the inside plate so the plunger can hit it. I haven't been able to find a door handle for the back door. I could be wrong, but I think they all may be the same.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #13
JoeKan

I went to LMC and purchased a "cargo door handle" that is suppose to be the right one one for my barn door. It still didn't work. With the handle off I can stick my finger through the hole and push the metal plate and it will open that way so I know all the door "mechanics" are working.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for the help,
Joe
Old 09-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #14
Steven B

You probably still have the plunger rod too short. LMC lists the cargo door handle the same as the RH door handle. Try to find one on the board or try to modify what you have.
Steven B is offline   Reply With Quote