The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
The_BullDog

what do you think?

got a 77 sbc 350 want alittle kick but don't have the money for a rebuild. found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

i don't know too much about engines yet but tryin to learn. what do you think of this set up on a stock 350? got any other idea's?

also looking at a 2" belt pully kit i also found on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

the pully kit is mostly for the beefy look factor.

if i do get this should i upgrade my trans to a 700r? its going bad anyways. they told me 2 grand to put the 700r in.

more then open to any other options.

thanks for your help guys
Attached Images

The_BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
rjs53

Re: what do you think?

If power is what you want then i would do the heads, don't know how many miles are on that 350 but the new heads are going to create pressure on those old rings causing blow bye and oil consumption. You could save a bunch and just put a different set of gears in the rearend 3.73 or 4.11 and with the 700 it would make a differance my 2cents. A lot more info on this site someone may give you better advice
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
cableguy0

You get what you pay for with those heads. I havent heard a whole lot of good about them. The castings are thin. They are copies of a good head.But lighter cheaper copies. that intake is a chinese knock off of the edelbrock. i would save some money and buy better parts myself. You get what you pay for. 195cc intake runners are going to be too big for a stock 350. They would be much better suited to a 383 or 400. You would need to turn your engine almost 7k rpm to take advantage of a 195cc intake in a stock 350 with low compression. You will likely lose power. I wouldnt trust putting a fresh top end on an old worn bottom end. That belt drive setup is going to do nothing but rob horsepower. its complete and total overkill. the more weight being spun on the front of the engine the more drag and horsepower lost. A standard v-belt or serpentine setup would be much better.Plus if you would lose a belt or have on break with that setup. Your kinda screwed, No auto parts store in the country is going to stock that belt. I would personally lean towards a set of brodix ik180 heads or dart iron eagles in 180cc runners for a hot 350. You will want somewhere around 10-1 compression. The best way for us to help you is for you to give more info. What are you looking for. What kinda power level? How much can you spend? Are you worried about gas mileage? Are you planning on driving this everyday or just weekends?
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would suggest keeping your stock accessory drive and put the money you would have spent on that towards better quality parts. Something like what cableguy0 said. I always encourage guys to spend their money on USA made parts whenever possible. It helps to improve our economy instead of theirs
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
The_BullDog

hey guys thanks for the posts. alot of info and that helps. sorry for the lack of info on my part.

here is alittle more info
350 stock with 120,000 miles on it
crap trans that is going to be replaced as soon as i can get some understanding on which one to get heard stuff about a 700R and a TH350.
a 700R will cost 2 grand from what my dad was told by the guy at the trans shop.
have no idea what it would cost for a TH350.
want it to be a daily driver (when i finally make it out of iraq).
i don't ever plan on taking it to the track but i would like to have alittle get up and go.

looking to spend around 3 to 4 on the engine and drivetrain.
The_BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote