The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Question Keith Black Pistons

I've heard that these pistons are some of the heaviest on the market.

Is this true?

Was told I'd be better off just buying cast Aluminum flat tops vs. dished pistons.

What do you guys think?

Will be running 64cc Aluminum heads which will have about 11:1 compression.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
midevil1
ShortBus KingPin

Re: Keith Black Pistons

Quote:
Originally Posted by C20-67_N_MO View Post
I've heard that these pistons are some of the heaviest on the market.

Is this true?

Was told I'd be better off just buying cast Aluminum flat tops vs. dished pistons.

What do you guys think?

Will be running 64cc Aluminum heads which will have about 11:1 compression.
Considering Keith Black makes most everybody's pistons. Makes some of the baddest engine's on the planet. I would say if you were buying some of their CHEAP "cast " pistons, then maybe they are heavy. Hyperutectic pistons are usually lighter than forged too. They made me a custom set for my 505 with a set of Hellfire rings and I mean gas ported and all the best tricks for 6 bills when nobody else had time for me.

Also, when my machinist went to balance the pistons. He took little too nothing off them. You wont know your compression until you know what type of piston you will be running. Flattop, dish, or dome.....

2008 GMC Yukon DENALI, 425 AWHP, 5700LBS, 12.40's at 109mph. (Her RIDE)

2006 Kawasaki Brute Force, 916cc, 80 shot, 6.20's at 111 mph. (Her RIDE)

Last edited by midevil1; 08-10-2010 at 09:46 PM.
midevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

Ive just used two sets of KB's with a -30cc dish with 64cc heads and both have worked well, one in a 400, and the other in a 350, both with vortec heads

just make sure you gap the rings to KB specs
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
Rodms

I have to disagree mahle is possibly the best piston and ring on the market today the mm rings in the Dyno tested way higher than all the rest using eagle cranks and rods
Old 08-11-2010, 01:12 AM   #5
midevil1
ShortBus KingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodms View Post
I have to disagree mahle is possibly the best piston and ring on the market today the mm rings in the Dyno tested way higher than all the rest using eagle cranks and rods
Mahle is German and twice the price as KB. I've been thru the factory in Stuttgart, DE. Mahle is top notch but not everybody can spend the money on them......

2008 GMC Yukon DENALI, 425 AWHP, 5700LBS, 12.40's at 109mph. (Her RIDE)

2006 Kawasaki Brute Force, 916cc, 80 shot, 6.20's at 111 mph. (Her RIDE)
midevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
C20-67_N_MO

So the issue is still should I stay with the Forged dish pistons by KB or go with some other brand and use flat top cast or Hyper pistons?
Old 08-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

IMO the answer is in what else is going into the package. If your considering much track time, any nitrous, forced induction, or spinning it up into the 7k range,, Forget about cast and Hypereutectic, forged is the only 'right' answer there. Sure you can save a few pennies on a budget piston, but at the risk of what???????

If your simply building a driver, want to stab the throttlle a few times now and then, and are staying under and HONEST 1HP per cubic inch,, cast will work just fine.

I am no fan of the hypereutectic pistons from any supplier, but there are many that have built numerous very reliable / durable motors using them. They do run tighter bore clearances, so there quieter and more stable (if your bulding a stroker with a short skirt). But (and just IMO) the hupereutectics are a 'middle of the road' choice at best.

If your using a high quality aftermarket forged crank, And a rod like that from eagle, crower, oliver, your NUTS not using a high quality forged piston. My preferance is JE, but lots of good forged pistons out there.

If your using a stock cast / steel crank, maybe some 'house brand' refurbished rods from one of the big mail order places.. then your silly pitting a $700+ set of pistons swinging around on a $200 arm.

Just remember cast is more forgiving. That goes for cranks as well as pistons. Cast will deform, flex and forgive without breaking,, unlike a forged crank or hypereutectic piston.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
C20-67_N_MO

Will the crank is a cast Scat 400 sbc crankshaft. Stronger than stock and only bought it because they charge $130 to turn cranks and for a few bucks more I can have a better quality crankshaft so that what I did, bought the Scat cast.

Hoping to make around 400 to 450hp with this 406 I am building.

Talked to the speed shop today and I think that the dished forged pistons I had committed to will be my best bet.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

forged is always the way to go, but i thoughtr you were looking for a less expensive piston
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
chris mc bride

IMO it pays to put in what will handle 1.5 times what you plan to build power wise. Never know what you will add in future. I always run forged pistons in anything I build.
I know at some point Im going to want to add more power. For me slightly higher cost to start is normaly cheaper in long run.
chris mc bride is offline   Reply With Quote