The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
JoeKan

Gas tank question

My 72 burb has had an auxilary tank (1 gallon) that I've been using as I'm getting her fixed up. I think it's time to tie in the old tank and start using it. The PO had taken the nozzle off and had sealed the hole going into the tank. He was preparing to paint it when I bought it from him.
My question is "what kind of condition do you think the tank is in"? Do you think there may be condensation? rust? I don't think any dirt has gotten down in it because it has been sealed up. Is there a way I can check to see if there's anything in there other than taking the whole tank off? Or would I be better buying a new tank. That would be my last option as they run around $150.
Or maybe it's okay and I'm just nervous??? I've added a fuel filter to it so that should help.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Joe
JoeKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
extd56

Re: Gas tank question

Just put a clear gas filter and pump it into a gas can and see what it looks and smells like and if it looks good use it. Make sure to use a good filter and it will any dirt or rust if there is any out of you carb.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
john bradley

I've got the same question, brand new 68 burb that hasn't run in a decade. i was told I could jump the fuel pump and see what comes out in a can; however the pump has no leads to it ( or if they are the're hidden quite well), am I just fu or is it electric?
john bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
JoeKan

Quote:
Originally Posted by john bradley View Post
I've got the same question, brand new 68 burb that hasn't run in a decade. i was told I could jump the fuel pump and see what comes out in a can; however the pump has no leads to it ( or if they are the're hidden quite well), am I just fu or is it electric?
Welcome to the board John. Just hang on we'll have an answer in a day or two. This is a great board with a lot of knowledgeable people here. If it were not for this board, I'll probably never try to restore my 72.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
1956cameo

Personally I would buy a new gas tank! Actually that is what I am doing right now. I bought my suburban and got it running after it sat for 8 years. I cleaned the old gas tank out but over the last year and a half I am still clogging filters and getting junk in my carb. After breaking down two weeks ago due to more sediment coming out of the tank I finally decided it was time to get a new tank. I figured what I am going to spend on a new tank is about what a tow would cost the next time I break down. Personally I would rather put the $150 into my burb than give it to a wrecker driver.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:17 AM   #6
rsavage

If you have an original block mounted fuel pump, it is mechanically driven off the camshaft and will not pump unless the motor is turning over. You could probably splice in an electric fuel pump in the line coming from the tank and run that with a battery to pump the old gas out of the tank into gas cans. Very dangerous to do so due to explosion possibility. You would be safer taking somewhere to a pro who could pump the tank out, drop it, clean it out and see what the inside looked like.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
rsavage

Joe,
Getting back to your original question, I don't think there is any real good way to see what the inside of the tank is like without dropping it and taking out the sending unit. Old tanks usually have junk and or rust in them and they often are "thin" under the straps due to rust and develop leaks once disturbed. I assume that you are talking about the rear mounted original tank. They do make a coating that can be used inside a tank if the tank has some interior rust but is solid. I've used it on an old Chris Craft galvanized tank and it worked well. Obviously, the tank has to be out, cleaned inside, and dry as you pour a couple of quarts of the tank liner into it and turn it many many times. If I remember correctly, it cost about $50 or $60 bucks for the coating. That tank was thick and solid but had to be saved as no one makes a replacement 52 Chris Craft tank. Don't know if I would waste the time and money on an old stock Burb tank. Good luck. Keep us posted.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
Old 08-31-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
leakyfawcett

I had the same kunundrum with my 71. Luckily, dropping the tank is pretty easy to do, so you can just look inside with a flashlight to see what you're dealing with. For my time and money, it was 100% worth just buying a new tank, especially when you add up the costs of cleaning and coating the old tank, not to mention how big a pain in the butt it is to restore one. I posted a couple of blog entries with some photos of what I found in my tank, and the install of the new one if it's helpful:

http://www.1971chevysuburban.com/197...ank-sludge-yum

http://www.1971chevysuburban.com/197...s-tank-install

Good luck!
www.1971chevysuburban.com
leakyfawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
Monte Carlo Man

My dad had a '71 Blazer CST with 307 and when the methanol came out, it was cheaper then the regular gasoline. Needless to say, back then they did not use stainless steel gas tanks and lines on those vehicles and the methanol / gasohol rotted out the gas tank around the seams in the middle of the tank, not the bottom. They were also prone for leaking around the strap area.

My panel truck never had gasohol in it and the gas tank was painted on the outside and it still looks like new inside. It's all a crap shoot.
Monte Carlo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
JoeKan

Thanks for all the help. My gut instinct was saying to replace even though I didn't want to spend the money for a new tank. I've got a birthday coming up so it might work out alright.
I did stop by LMC today (for the 1st time) and bought: a battery tray and bolts to hold down the battery, 16 panel fasteners for the inside door panels, and a cargo door handle. ($105).
I'm hoping to get time this weekend and work on it and still make it to one of the car shows.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #11
JoeKan

If I replace the old tank with a new 21 gal. one, would I then abandon the spare tank??
Old 09-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #12
1956cameo

It's good to hear you are going with a new 21 gallon tank. I just put my new 21 gallon gas tank on my suburban on Sunday. If I were you I would abandon the spare tank as well.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #13
rsavage

If you are okay with a range of say 180 miles (figuring 10 mpg with a reserve of 3 gallons) on the 21 gallon tank, then that would be fine. I only have the original tank but I normally don't drive real long distances with it on a regular basis. If you do, you may want to consider keeping the aux tank too.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
Old 09-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #14
JoeKan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
If you are okay with a range of say 180 miles (figuring 10 mpg with a reserve of 3 gallons) on the 21 gallon tank, then that would be fine. I only have the original tank but I normally don't drive real long distances with it on a regular basis. If you do, you may want to consider keeping the aux tank too.
I've been looking for a reserve tank but can't find anyone who sells them. Any idea where I might be able to pick one up at?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #15
rsavage

Joe,
Sorry to say I don't have any sources for an auxiliary tank. 180 mile range before needing gas is okay as far as I'm concerned. I'm older so after driving 2 1/2 - 3 hours, I need to stretch and walk whether I'm in an old truck, my 08 diesel, or on the motorcycle. If I don't stop, my knees think that they don't have to work any longer!
2021 Durango RT 5.7