The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
Wheelie

Another 1959 Apache build!

Hi yall, this is Cory out in the big D. This is my 1959 Chevy Apache, I am the second owner of the native Texas truck. After finally getting ahead at work I am able to finally get my project in the shop! She's going to be getting a 78 trans am subframe assy. this friday and I am starting work on the 4 link system, setting ride height etc. A lot of pictures to come but here she is before the teardown. Thanks for lookin!

Last edited by Wheelie; 10-05-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
Wheelie

Re: Another 1959 Apache build!

Here is the subframe I picked up. I saw the car completely assembled. The guy had the engine out and in the subframe in the bed of my truck in an hour. Crazy! The great thing about getting a later year is that I got the HUGE sway bar and heavy duty suspension with quick ratio steering box. Once I get going on it I will post more pics.

Here is is about 45 minutes into removal. That guy works quick! I mean the car was fully assembled!

an hour later here it is ready for install!
Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
Kim57

Sounds like a nice project.
We do like the build pics so keep them coming.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:44 PM   #4
Wheelie

Here's how we remove parts in Texas! It is a ford 8.8 out of an lincoln. It has a posi and disc brakes with 3.08 gears (bleh) but it is the equivalent to a GM 12 bolt. Should hold up well to the beating it will get. I am narrowing it to fit 10 inch wide chevy rallys. The truck will have the same front runnerish style rally's up front. (Though I do have some vintage 14" radirs but not sure if they will clear calipers)

Here it is at my shop about to cut off all the unneeded brackets.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
Wheelie

Out with the old and in with the new.

Just temporarily mocked up until I get it back to the shop to set do subframe and install 4-link etc. NO it will not sit this high! IM shootin for around 5 inchs of rocker height roughly. MORE Pics to come!!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:36 AM   #6
heavy_chevy

Cool I will have to follow your build. I am building a 55 myself and was just wondering what to do about the rear end. Are you tubbing the rear?
heavy_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
Wheelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_chevy View Post
Cool I will have to follow your build. I am building a 55 myself and was just wondering what to do about the rear end. Are you tubbing the rear?
My mock up tire is a 11.5 inch and the fender from inside lip to inside lip is 11.5. So I will need to slightly tub it or run the wide fenders. I am not to that point yet and still in mock up. I am going to figure all that out this weekend and I will post all my measurements.

While looking at it last night it would be easier to tub it because I want my tires close to the outer lip as possible and I am not crazy about how much the wide fenders are cost wise. SO most likely I will tub it. That way I can run a larger tire in the future and only change wheel offset. It could go a few different ways...
Old 10-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #8
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
My mock up tire is a 11.5 inch and the fender from inside lip to inside lip is 11.5. So I will need to slightly tub it or run the wide fenders. I am not to that point yet and still in mock up. I am going to figure all that out this weekend and I will post all my measurements.

While looking at it last night it would be easier to tub it because I want my tires close to the outer lip as possible and I am not crazy about how much the wide fenders are cost wise. SO most likely I will tub it. That way I can run a larger tire in the future and only change wheel offset. It could go a few different ways...
IMHO I would tub it. I've seen the wider fenders on some trucks at shows and didn't think they looked right. The 3" wider width is verfy noticable.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:01 AM   #9
Wheelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
IMHO I would tub it. I've seen the wider fenders on some trucks at shows and didn't think they looked right. The 3" wider width is verfy noticable.
Kim
Ya, I have never seen them but I measured out 3 inches from the original fender and it looks stupid. I am going to tub. Im going to look at tubs available to ease the process a little so I don't have to make something from scratch.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #10
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Tub it!!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
Wheelie

Now ontot the subframe! I am using a 78 T/A sub frame assy. I can walk you through it. Its easy.

This is very important before hacking of the front. You want to make sure everything is level!

you then need to weld a piece of square or round tube across the frame rails. This allows you to hold the frame up with jackstands once you hack the front off.

you can now cut the steering box with a sawzall as close to the box as possible, just outside of the taper as shown by my handsome finger there!

Then remove the rearward crossmember and all the rivets holding it on and go ahead and get the rivets on the bottom holding the rear spring perch in place. This is a *****! I just decided to cut it out once I got the rivets out. It decided to not cooperate but I won!

Last edited by Wheelie; 10-02-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #12
Wheelie

Once thats out of the way the fun starts! Now I am moving my wheel forward about 2 inches. I think it fits better in the wheel opening and is more symmetrical. The factory location is too far back IMO. I measured 28.5 inches from the body mount plate to the top shock mount stud. Its the best place for reference on a subframe and its obviously the same on both sides. more into the measurements later.

Go ahead and cut off the frame just behind the steering box bolt on the drivers side and just behind the bump stop on the passenger side. Try not to catch your steering box on fire as I did

This is what you should have.

Now move jackstands to your reinforcing tube you welded earlier. RECHECK LEVEL!!

Lets move onto the subframe and some prep. Remove all the old brake lines, fuel lines, brackets etc to make life easier during mock up. Most importantly, gently remove this tab located in the rear of the subframe. You can choose to use them later as core support mounting locations. I may graft in the front factory frame rails but I went ahead and did it anyways so at least it looks cleaner.

Its tram time! Now we measured 28.5 inches back of the upper shock stud to a marked point on the frame that we will line up to the front body mount box on each side. This allows me to slide the crossmember to the side of the frame rails and transfer the subframes arc with a sharpie.

After you mark the frame put a piece of masking tape along the line you drew to give you some room to come up on the desired wheel centerline you want and cut off the frame there. Like I said earlier mine is going to be about 2" forward then stock.

Last edited by Wheelie; 10-02-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:09 PM   #13
Wheelie

Well thats where I am at as of today. More pics to come!!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #14
Wheelie

I wanted to note that the 58-59 inner fender aprons need to be trimmed a lot to clear the newly added control arms. Take your time and mark them out with a sharpie and come up on it to keep it clean. You will need a buddy to help you lift the clip and fit.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
Wheelie

Got the clip done yesterday. My measurements changed a bit. I highly recommend for you to fit the front fenders and marl where you want the tire to sit in the fender and make your own measurements and set the subframe up to what looks best to you. I decided to not go 2 inches forward. It ended up being more like 1 3/4 but I will remeasure if somone wants to know. what do ya think? the engine is not in it at the moment.

here it is sitting @ desired ride height prior to subframe mock up.

Here it is with my desired wheel location marked on fender and clip clamped in place.

here is a top shot. The wheel is centered but looks off from this high! The 58-59 fenders are wider and aren't so close as the prior years I believe.

Last edited by Wheelie; 10-10-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #16
Wheelie

So I have been busy cleaning up the ford 8.8 rear end and went ahead and put some 3.73 gears and all new bearings and seals.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #17
Wheelie

Also cleaned up and assembled my corvette muncie 4 speed with hurst shifter.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #18
Wheelie

I have also decided to wait on the 4 link and set-up with leafs for now to speed things along and save some green. So here she sits, I need to weld the spring perches on the 8.8, c notch the frame and possibly flip the mounts and lengthen shackles to get the ride height I need. Still a lotta work!

Last edited by Wheelie; 11-23-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #19
Spackle100

Nice progress man, keep up the good work!
Spackle100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #20
OrrieG

That Vette transmission is junk and should not go in a truck. Send it to me for my 64 Chevelle and I will get you a real truck 4 speed, sm460 0r sm465, your choice!!! Does you customer know you took his tranny (cars in background)???

Last edited by OrrieG; 11-23-2010 at 08:42 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #21
Wheelie

Junk? lol! Im prob going to put an auto in it if I do anything else. I like the gearing in the early trans. It has the rare 2.56 1st gear if I recall. Hell I have 2 or 3 of them. If you need one I can probably set you up. I think I have a truck one lying around but I don't like the granny gearing.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #22
Fat Mike

Can you show pictures of the tie in of the subframe. Did you run the arms under the frame and weld or did you chop it off and weld with plates over it?
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:01 PM   #23
JML55

Cool work man, Hey i like the vets in the back ground.
55 Belair
99 S10

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316140
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=806011
JML55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:20 PM   #24
kaycee

HHHMMMM You cut your stock frame at different lengths pass. side is a little longer than drvs.side.I got lost on this did you eventually cut them the same?
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #25
Wheelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Mike View Post
Can you show pictures of the tie in of the subframe. Did you run the arms under the frame and weld or did you chop it off and weld with plates over it?
I will take more pics soon but this one shows how its just butted up. In this pic I have not yet trimed to fit the contour of the subframe and its waaaay forward. It is now trimmed and welded but I have no pics of it. I haven't completely finished the integration of the frames. I just butted the subframe to the original frame and squared it up and found my wheel location in the fenders and ran welds about every inch on both sides of where the subframe and stock frame met so I can move it around. We needed the shop space so I had to move it to storage for now. My plan is to box in the inner portion of the original frame and the subframe together, but that may change. I like how clean it looks with the lower part of the subframe removed but its really supportive to leave it there so I am a little torn. I am also not really looking for a show winner either so....decisions, decisions.

Last edited by Wheelie; 12-22-2010 at 08:57 PM.