The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
Rede

K20 454 and TH400 upgrade snags

Hey guys.

I finally had two guys come help me drop the Gen6 454 into my engine bay after I tore the front grill/rad support/head light assembly out and I ran into a few snags...

Issue #1)
The PS pump that came with the brackets I'm using have one screw in hose fitting and two clamp/clamp on hose fittings which I was told were common on the hydroboost systems.
1 screw in hose was for the high pressure line to the steering box, 1 low pressure return from steering box and one outlet that ran to the brake booster...
Do I need a different pump that will work with this bracket setup (from a 2000 454 vortec) that has just the high out and low return lines, or can I cap the one brake booster fitting and call it a day?

Issue #2A)
When trying to unbolt the front clip/rad section, I snapped both of the large body mount bolts.
Are these common bolts or would I need to order specific ones?

Issue #2B)
I suspected a broken body mount near the front passenger corner and once I freed the rad support section I noticed that the 'ring' portion from the frame was now a large "U" shape...
Can I simply get a flat square piece of metal tacked on top and drill it for the large bolt, or do I need to do some serious junkyard scavenging?

Issue #3)
When I started reinstalling my transmission cross-member, I quickly realized that my original 4spd cross-member wasn't going to reach the bottom of the TH400-NP208 adapter I bought.
Do I need the taller adapter, a different cross member (if so, which one?) or is there a spacer that I can use to make up the gap?

I found different crossmembers and the taller adapter on this site http://www.justchevytrucks.com/truck...sfercases.html but I thought I'd ask before buying more parts I may not need...

Last edited by Rede; 10-24-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Rede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Rede

Re: K20 454 and TH400 upgrade snags

Real S-M-R-T question here, but the cross member is supposed to arch up, or down like a cradle??

I was trying to bolt it back in so it was hanging down and I just ran across a picture of one arching up and it made me question as to weather I was bolting it in wrong, which would explain why I the bolts had those odd collars/sleeves and why the bolt holes didn't line up worth a damn...

If it arches up, then do the collar pieces go between the frame and the cross member like a spacer like so?

Or does it go like this one?

Truck originally came with the SM465 and NP208, but it's been apart for a while and I've forgotten how it goes together and I'm using a TH400 now so I didn't know if that effected how things lined up or not as well. :|
Old 10-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

Re: K 454 and TH400 upgrade snags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rede View Post
Hey guys.

I finally had two guys come help me drop the Gen6 454 into my engine bay after I tore the front grill/rad support/head light assembly out and I ran into a few snags...

Issue #1)
The PS pump that came with the brackets I'm using have one screw in hose fitting and two clamp/clamp on hose fittings which I was told were common on the hydroboost systems.
1 screw in hose was for the high pressure line to the steering box, 1 low pressure return from steering box and one outlet that ran to the brake booster...
Do I need a different pump that will work with this bracket setup (from a 2000 454 vortec) that has just the high out and low return lines, or can I cap the one brake booster fitting and call it a day?
The two low pressure lines are return lines, blocking one will be fine

Issue #2A)
When trying to unbolt the front clip/rad section, I snapped both of the large body mount bolts.
Are these common bolts or would I need to order specific ones?
They are common bolts found at most hardware stores, im not real sure on the size off the top of my head.

Issue #2B)
I suspected a broken body mount near the front passenger corner and once I freed the rad support section I noticed that the 'ring' portion from the frame was now a large "U" shape...
Can I simply get a flat square piece of metal tacked on top and drill it for the large bolt, or do I need to do some serious junkyard scavenging?
I don't know exactly what your talking about here.

Issue #3)
When I started reinstalling my transmission cross-member, I quickly realized that my original 4spd cross-member wasn't going to reach the bottom of the TH400-NP208 adapter I bought.
Do I need the taller adapter, a different cross member (if so, which one?) or is there a spacer that I can use to make up the gap?
Im not sure but I think a different crossmember would have come with a th400/np208 than a sm465.

I found different crossmembers and the taller adapter on this site http://www.justchevytrucks.com/truck...sfercases.html but I thought I'd ask before buying more parts I may not need...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rede View Post
Real S-M-R-T question here, but the cross member is supposed to arch up, or down like a cradle??

I was trying to bolt it back in so it was hanging down and I just ran across a picture of one arching up and it made me question as to weather I was bolting it in wrong, which would explain why I the bolts had those odd collars/sleeves and why the bolt holes didn't line up worth a damn...

If it arches up, then do the collar pieces go between the frame and the cross member like a spacer like so?

Or does it go like this one?
The arch will definitely go down.

Truck originally came with the SM465 and NP208, but it's been apart for a while and I've forgotten how it goes together and I'm using a TH400 now so I didn't know if that effected how things lined up or not as well. :|
Someone else can probably fill you in on the ones I don't know.
1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)

Last edited by 1985-GMC; 10-24-2010 at 11:12 PM.
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Rede

I solved my crossmember issue by swapping one form a parts truck and drilling an extra set of holes in my frame.

However.... when I was benchpressing the tcase (NP208) with my face, I couldn't get the tcase to slide upto the adaptor.
I tried 3 times and each time I cursed more and more, but that still didn't get the transfer case any closer. :@

I was told that the TH400 TRYING to use came out of a 1/2 with a 205 bolted to it when I bought it off of Kijiji. I later tried buying the tcase from him, but he never returned my emails...

Do the NP205 tcases use a longer tailshaft or is the difference in the adaptor? (I'm using the shorter TH400 to NP208)

I'm taped out of cash, racked up the CC on misc parts and I'm about a 2 weeks away from seeing snow 24/7 here...

Is there a simple sollution or do I need to get the tailshaft swapped at a shop?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

Im not real sure on the splines that came in th400's and np208's, but if its 32 spline I think the th400 might have came with a long shaft and a short shaft but in not sure. Do they at least have the same # of splines?
1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
Rede

Yup the 4spd's, th400 and 4L80E all share 32spline.
Problem is that I need to shorten it by 2"

for a brief moment I considered seeing if it can be cut and the splines carefully touched up at the end, but that sounded too good to be true. :P
Posted via Mobile Device