The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
gregg72340

Frame Swap.......Need help!!!

Ok heres the dilemma. I have an 85 1/2 ton 2wd that the frame is a little crappy all the suspension is shot but overall the body is good for the most part with a 305 and a blown trans. I was just given a 79 1/2 ton 2wd with a 350/350 combo ran up until 6 months ago when the starter puked, but the body is absolute total junk, but the frame is good. The 85 has been sitting for almost ten years and the 79 has been sitting for 6 months.

What would it take to swap the entire 85 body over to the 79 frame, both are 2wd 1/2 tons same wheelbase, which mounts (85 or 79) do i use, and is there anything that really needs to be addressed or changed

Thanks
Gregg
Old 12-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
OlMech

Re: Frame Swap.......Need help!!!

Strip it and swap it. I have done a few of these. The hardest part is getting the cab and bed bolts out without spinning the nuts int he little metal retainers/cages. If you do spin the nuts at the rear of the cab, you can measure them, and cut holes in the raised panel at the back to access the nuts to either hold them or weld them.
If your going to do this, NOW is the time to replace the brake lines bearings seals etc...

this was an 85? 2wd swap onto a 79 4x4 frame... we blasted and painted the frame, put stainless lines and new rubber hoses, new wheel cyl calipers, pads/shoes and rotors and just worked our way up...

All done but the paint....

Mount locations should be the same, and use the body bushings that are in the best shape or get new ones. Do check the mount pads to make sure the holes are not rusting out. If you have a way to lift the cab/bed it isnt all that hard of a swap.

Last edited by OlMech; 12-02-2010 at 06:05 PM.
OlMech is offline   Reply With Quote