The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2010, 02:41 AM   #1
1970CHEVYc10

Electrical issue

I have changed my alternator and battery thinking it was the problem.... I can drive for weeks with no issue. But sometimes when I drive at night with lights on my dash go dim and when I park turn off the engine, it will not start again. What could be causing my battery to drain that fast? The stock voltage gauge is alway read inthe middle. could it be the voltage regulator?

1970 Chevy C10 LWB fleetside
1970 Chevy 3 door Suburban
1970CHEVYc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
eyebuzz
Licensed driver

Re: Electrical issue

Hi 70CHEVY,

Just went through some alternator issues myself. Does sound alternator related. The voltage regulator is supposed to be changed with a new alternator - it is a real easy change and just bolts and plugs in and pretty cheap (around $20) - mine was bolted to the front of the truck, same side as the alternator, right next to the radiator.

But before doing all that - do you have a volt meter? if not you can get a simple analog "multimeter" for about 12 bucks (I got mine at Sears..but there are plenty of sources). Just post again if you need to know how to use it or search online for "alternator test" or "battery test" - lots of videos showing you. I don't mean to sound like an expert here - I just learned all this last week...just happy to help out and return the favor of all those that helped me on this board.

Best,

TT
eyebuzz is offline   Reply With Quote