The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
1LowToy

Picture this ball joint

I didn't take a picture so we will just have to picture this. I have the lower control arms off and while cleaning them up I noticed that one of them was not seated all the way in the control arm. So I took it down to a shop that had a press and had it pressed in the rest of the way. The guy at the shop said it went in easy, which kind scares me, as some have fallen out. Has anyone spot welded a couple of places on the edge of the ball joints for a little insurance?

Last edited by 1LowToy; 01-22-2011 at 07:57 PM.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Picture this ball joint

A spot weld is exactly what you need to. Either that or replace the control arm. It should not be loose at all. If it worked itself out once it will happen again. Ball joints are tacked in all the time because replacing control arms usually isnt a cost effective option.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
benoit454
Chris

Re: Picture this ball joint

they do make oversized balljoints ya know just for that reason, but yea we heard of guy tack welding them in place. We may have to do ours the same way the ds one slide in pretty easy compared to the other side.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote